What new foods have you tried recently?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Fez909, Jan 24, 2014.

1. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Kala chana is a good choice. It's often used to make a curry that it more of broth - esp if you eat meat, then a combination of bones, wobbly meat bits and kala chana is great for winter. But meatless is just as good - made with a simple onion garlic base, add some whole green chilli with your spices and (lots of) water - it cooks to a silky richness that is not thick and bloaty like some pulse soups and stews, but a dark warming broth with a nutty substantial bite to the chana, and interesting skin texture.

polly and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  2. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

So ... laverbread ...
    Thankfully I have a pressure cooker. And my laver is dried, so I may well not achieve the genuine article ...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/614997/pfn-welsh-laverbread-spec.pdf

3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

4. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

It just came up in Google. There are some links on this page ..

Protected food name: Welsh laverbread - GOV.UK

5. farmerbarleymow

Something dodgy going on if Stornoway black pudding is listed but Bury black pudding isn't. :hmm:

Interesting to see the chemical breakdown of Halen Mon sea salt:

Sodium Chloride - Greater than 90% by weight
    Water - Less than 4%
    Lead - less than 2mg / kg
    Tin - less than 200mg / kg
    Arsenic - less than 0.5mg / kg
    Mercury- less than 0.1mg / kg
    Cadmium - less than 0.5mg / kg
    Copper- less than 2 mg / kg
    Zinc - Trace
    Magnesium- At least 0.2%
    Iodine- less than 0.1 mg/kg
    Calcium - 0.08% - 0.15%

gentlegreen likes this.
  6. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I tried black garlic the other day. Tasted like molasses - think I’m indifferent to its charms. Suspect it’ll soon be the new ingredient du jour though.

Fez909 likes this.
  7. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Deep fried pasta.

Sounds more interesting than it is. Basically like really thin pretzel sticks.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  8. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

Has anyone had a beetroot burger before??? I saw it in Aldi yesterday but couldn't bring myself to...

9. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Trying to find this again and there are loads of different cheeses called this, but which don't taste the same. I will just have to keep buying them until I find the delicious one again.

10. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

I had one last year in a pub in the lakes and it was gorgeous, can't speak for aldi one though.

11. Maggot

I got some Cime di Rapa in my veg box, it's a leafy green. Might try it later.

Fez909 and polly like this.
  12. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I'm in Italy and was planning to bring some of this back, as it's everywhere - wonder if it's becoming more widely available in the UK? I've wanted to try it since seeing it on Man vs Food :D Hope it's good! It looks it.

Edit: meant to say that I'd had chestnut ice cream. Lush.

RubyToogood, Maggot and Fez909 like this.
  13. Maggot

This was imported from Italy by Riverford. AFAIK it's not available in many other places.

I had it in a pasta dish and it was very tasty, a bit like a bitter spinach, but its flavour was overpowered by the chilli and garlic I included.

mango5 and polly like this.
  14. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

I just find beetroot overbearing...I'm guessing the burger tasted, earthy?

15. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I fucking love beetroot

16. farmerbarleymow

Food of the gods. :cool:

pug likes this.
  17. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

It has to be said, there is not much in the way of veg that I don't thoroughly enjoy. I find aubergine, courgette, and marrow a bit unexciting (unless batter is involved!) but I'll eat those anyway. I'm a bit bored with broccoli, because every time I ask Nate what veg he wants the answer is always broccoli so I am a bit broccolied out iykwim :D

18. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

I had Rushan in Lijiang last month. Mine was like the picture, but served on a stick, like a big cheesy lollipop. Unlike most of China, Yunnan cuisine includes two kinds of locally made cheese. This one tastes a bit like feta does when it's fried. Typically it's eaten with sugar on, but I had mine without.

[​IMG]

19. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

That looks absolutely delicious!

So... I saw my elderly dad eating a sandwich the other day. Asked him what it was...
    "Banana and cheese", he replied.
    "Its great!", he said.

:eek:

20. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Deep fried cheese - you can't go wrong really.

farmerbarleymow and polly like this.
  21. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Wandering dragon. Only ordered it because of the name but was also really good as a starter :thumbs:
    Chicken, king prawn, mushrooms, green peppers and bamboo shoots cooked in garlic and oyster sauce.

Yu_Gi_Oh likes this.
  22. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I'm having them in a minute with fennel seeds, garlic and chili. Yeah, they're just greens really aren't they :D

Maggot likes this.
  23. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I got this to bump an Approved Food order over the minimum spend. Was a bit dubious, despite it containing my two favourite things: peanuts and chili. It's fucking lovely! Currently 99p a jar from Approved Food too. And no palm oil.

C06597F7-F53E-4849-B6CB-DB1F73974D49.png

24. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Sainsburys Can Cook Smokey BBQ Pulled Pork 340g. Not bad at all and only £1.80 a can :thumbs:
    Can Cook Smokey BBQ Pulled Pork 340g.jpg

25. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Smoked ricotta. Yum. :thumbs:

mango5 likes this.
  26. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

That sounds hideous and awful and yet I want to try some.

27. farmerbarleymow

28. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

PippinTook likes this.
  29. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

yum :p

In preparation for my new life in Brittany, I have acquired a discounted crepe pan and spatula and have just returned from the local Polish shop with some wholemeal buckwheat flour - though I just realised I probably won't be able to find a mixing bowl and whisk, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Vegan galettes initially, but once I get a whiff of the sea I fully anticipate laying into marine fauna as well as flora. :oops:

I will definitely be making use of seaweed and sea salt.

Libertad, 8115 and PippinTook like this.
  30. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

While at the Polish shop I grabbed a jar of salted sorrel - it tastes relatively inoffensive - by all accounts it's used to make soup - in Wales as well as Poland...

:hmm:

index.jpeg

polly and UnderAnOpenSky like this.