What new foods have you tried recently?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Fez909, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

it's a broad church, but my local Asian supermarket sells dozens of different kinds.
    I'm sure it tastes even better fresh and in restaurants

2. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

It's the stock that makes the difference.

Orang Utan likes this.
  3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

OU is right that they're basically the same thing, but there's a word of difference in flavour and quality between the two.

A proper bowl of ramen might be served in a brother that's made from pork bones that have been cooked for 10 hours, and then the other garnishes and spices and whatever that's added.

Also fresh noodles are nicer than dried.

But yeah, they're basically the same as the 9p things. The extra £8.41p or whatever gets you a much better Super Noodle though :)

UnderAnOpenSky and Orang Utan like this.
  4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

was with you until the Supernoodle comment - Asian supermarket ramen is MUCH better than fucking disgusting Supernoodles

Chz likes this.
  5. 8115

This whole discussion is irrelevant now because I've just remembered that I'm thinking of pho :D

6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I said super noodle but I meant generic instant noodles.
    :D :D

Orang Utan likes this.
  7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Man, I've been googling ramen and now I want some

[​IMG]

*drool*

8. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Is that one of those funny eggs ? :hmm:

nogojones and farmerbarleymow like this.
  9. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Modern persimmon/kaki/sharon fruit has had most of the interesting bred out of it. Used to be it was one of those fruits that was properly ripe for 3 hours in the afternoon on a Tuesday, and quite rank outside of that. Very, very strongly astringent when not perfectly ripe, and even a little bit so when they were ripe. But they were wondrously sweet and fragrant.

The modern breed has a ripeness window closer to a week, but they're considerably more bland in flavour.

10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Think it's just a boiled egg that's been soaked in tea or something.

Not a century egg, if that's what you were thinking?

gentlegreen likes this.
  11. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Spekkoek - which is an Indonesian layer cake. It was amazing.

Spymaster and Fez909 like this.
  12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Sweet sprouting cauliflower - apparently it's been a 'thing' in the UK for a few years now. How have I only just noticed this?

StemCauliflower4-20150921012304391.jpg

Taste: good. Like normal cauli but with less of that pongy taste.
    Texture: good. Like that posh purple sprouting broc, but cauli instead.
    Cost: Meh. Expensive for what you get.
    Ease of cooking: Amazing. Few minutes steamed and it was perfect. Usually these packets lie to you about steaming. "Oh, just steam it for 2-3 mins" - bullshit! :mad: it's always rock hard! But I don't know why I'm getting mad, this was perfect after only a few mins.

Two thumbs up from me :thumbs: :thumbs:

13. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Coyo coconut natural yoghurt. Its delicious, Ive tried a few non dairy yoghurts but this is the best. Great with a curry.

We don’t eat much dairy - only cheese,
    it makes him itch and makes me wheeze. (Poetry!)

porp, moose, Fez909 and 2 others like this.
  14. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Had kohlrabi for the first time. Did it as a curry, with the tops as a saag substitute. A bit turniplike and would only bother in future if they were going cheap

Fez909 likes this.
  15. 8115

I really like kohlrabi raw.

Chz likes this.
  16. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Well that was going to be the way I intended to use it - in a type of slaw, but as I'd had a red cabbage slaw the day before I went for a bit of diversity. So maybe I'll give it another chance

17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Tried some new stuff over the past few days...Korean food.

One I don't know the name of, but it was like a seaweed salad. About 4 or 5 different types of seaweed, very thinly sliced and, I think, raw. Marinated in some kind of vinegar or spiced oil. Nice side dish.

Another was a kind of Korean steak tartare - don't know the name. Raw beef, raw egg, all neatly piled up and served on top of what looked like 'zoodles' and some raw, julienned daikon. Very good.

The last was bibimbap. Was only OK, nothing special. Rice n veg n spicey sauce n raw egg - mix together. Eat. Felt like every day home food rather than something I'd choose again in a restaurant.

UnderAnOpenSky, polly and nogojones like this.
  18. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It is best as a cabbage substitute in slaw. Less cabbagey, more crunchy.

Bibimbap is comfort food, nothing fancy. But it makes me feel good and warm inside.

krtek a houby likes this.
  19. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I love all those, especially the seaweed salad. I find the key to really good bibimbap is the gochujang based sauce that you put on as a condiment, and letting the rice go crispy on the hot bowl before you mix it together.

Fez909 likes this.
  20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Had the sauce, and the rice also went crispy :)

21. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, I meant the deliciousness of the particular sauce in question, rather than the presence of it. But I suppose, on reflection, while I do love bibimbap, it's not really that special :D

krtek a houby, Chz and Fez909 like this.
  22. 8115

I love the bibimbap they serve in the restaurant where I first had it, I have never been able to recreate it at home quite as well though.

I made chia pudding from chia seeds. It was one of the worst things I've ever had. Ignorance was bliss.

23. 8115

Dahl. Very tasty but I had to salt it heavily. I'll definitely make it again.

24. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

So many awesome variations. Different spices and different types of lentil can make it almost a different dish.

I quite like adding a veg stock cube and some tomatoe paste. :)

25. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Marmite is our dhal's friend in this house.

26. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've not tried Marmite in Dahl!

I was in my favourite Asian grocer yesterday and picked up some black chickpeas (kala chana). I've had them out of tins, but Tinned pulses are pretty generic, so hopefully they should be an intresting new ingredient to cook with. Annoyingly now I'm googling actual recipes to use them in most call mango powder and that's not something I'll get locally.

27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Had something called shola (apparently also called sholay) last night. It was like an Indian risotto, or a more watery biryani.

Had meat, rice and chickpeas in it, and those large green pickled chillies. Very tasty.

:cool:

Yu_Gi_Oh likes this.
  28. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

Something green and pointy. Like broccoli but a bit sweeter. Dammit, can't remember the name of it. But tasty!

29. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Romanesco?

cauli.jpg

krtek a houby likes this.
  30. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

That's it! Magnificent looking veg, reminds me of something out of Doctor Who...

PursuedByBears likes this.