What makes a sandwich?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Orang Utan, May 2, 2017.

1. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

They are presumably only purist about structure.

2. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Ok. I will allow all of the top row, including the waffle. Although the waffle doesn't fit my immediate conceptual categorisation of "sandwich" (i.e. Things I might find in a sandwich shop, or be unsurprised to find if someone said we would be having sandwiches for lunch), it is, on technical analysis, unequivocally a sandwich.

I'd also give mention to the sub and the wrap, because although they obviously are not sandwiches at all by the technical definition, they do fit strongly into my immediate conceptual categorisation of sandwich. If someone said they had sandwiches for lunch, and it turned out they had a chicken and sweet corn wrap, I'd not think them a liar. However, if the wrap or sub (or baguette etc) contained something hot, that pushes it to the very edges of the category.

3. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

bread (as an outer covering) + filling(s) + ability to eat whilst continuing to gamble = sandwich

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

More sandwich heresy:
    Pizza Is a Sandwich
    and while we're at it, they are sandwichs, not sangers or sarnies, you lazy cunts

5. bimble

bimble noisy but small

6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Well the thread title is "what makes a sandwich".

As far as I am aware a sandwich is normally made by a person as opposed to a machine.