1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a sandwich?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Orang Utan, May 2, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

nah, you're overthinking it - there's no bread and there's no two slices. it's not a sandwich

2. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

What I'm saying is that if someone asked you what a wrap is, you could start by telling them that it's a kind of sandwich, which orients them to the general nature of said foodstuff, after which you can then interrupt their musings with more detail which will supply them with a more sophisticated understanding of what a wrap is, and both its similarity to and distinction from a sandwich 'proper'.

Much as if you asked me what a samosa is, I could initially reduce your ignorance by informing you that it is a kind of pie, although it does not belong to the strictly-defined class of pies as meat or fruit contained in pastry.

Thimble Queen and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  3. Orang Utan

if someone asked me what a wrap was I'd show em a Public Enemy video then punch them in the face. Literally.

4. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

As to the original chart, I'd say it's a capital "L" rotated 90 degrees to the right. From ice cream sandwich to chicken wrap. (Through proper sandwiches, obviously. Not that horror in the bottom right.)

I'd say there are probably hot dog-like things that I'd call a sandwich (sausage baguette, anyone?), but hot dogs are hot dogs and Not Sandwiches.

5. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

A sandwich is made with sliced bread. A cob with stuff in it is a cob, not a sandwich. A burger inhabits a single bun, not slices of a loaf, ergo it is not a sandwich regardless of what Americans seem to think.

And a pizza is not a 'pie'. It's a fucking pizza. No pastry = not a pie.

bluescreen and pug like this.
  6. Orang Utan

apart from shepherd's pie

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

It may be called a pie but it's closer to a casserole.

8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

ocean/admirals pie

9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

fish stew with a potato topping I spose

10. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

A sandwich maker

hash tag and WouldBe like this.
  11. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

So a pizza is a sandwich. :cool:

12. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

A burger is not a sandwich
    It's a burger

13. Orang Utan

Is pizza base bread? It's not proper risen bread. I don't think you can have a sandwich with flat bread.

14. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Pretty much the same as bread, yes. Its flour and yeast. And if left for 10 minutes will rise in to a loaf

15. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Flatbread Club Sandwich

16. Orang Utan

Not a sandwich unless it's from proper bread imo.
    So a pizza ain't a sandwich either

17. Orang Utan

So to be clear, it's a sandwich if the bread is made from proper (ie risen loaf) bread, such as chorleywood, baguette, ciabatta, cob/roll/barm etc
    But not if the bread is a flat bread like roti, pitta etc

18. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Just doesn't seem that way because it's so thin. A deep dish, Chicago-style, very definitely has an air-filled crumb created by yeast.

19. Orang Utan

but that's unacceptable even as a pizza

Chz likes this.
  20. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I guess so, by their loosey-goosey definition.

21. Orang Utan

There's some truly disgusting sandwiches listed there. What is wrong with people?
    It reminded of banh mi though. They're well lush Vietnamese sandwiches that use this very tasty baguette that is crispy on the outside but soft inside.

22. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Can we all agree a poptart is not a sandwich?

spanglechick and Orang Utan like this.
  23. kabbes

In the OP, the "structural purist" is apparently still happy to accept waffles as being the outer layers. I would dispute this. A purist would not allow anything but bread to be the outer layer.

24. Santino

They could be a formal purist but not a material purist.

25. kabbes

We need a third dimension, clearly

26. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

[​IMG]

After brexit a sandwich will be sandwich like it should be - stale white sliced and limited to 4 choices - cheese and tomato, ham, beef and egg mayonnaise. Pickle and cucumber will be permitted only on special occasions like St Georges day.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  27. Santino

For me eatability with the hand is also crucial to sandwichness. If it requires a knife and fork to eat, it's lost something important.

Celyn and fishfinger like this.
  28. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

Has it been pointed out yet that there is no way that a structure purist would refer to items in between two pieces of bread as "toppings"? :mad:

29. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Chips and crisps also valid filling for yer sliced white

campanula and Thimble Queen like this.