What lenses are you currently rocking?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alsoknownas, Nov 27, 2018.

1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Any faves? Any you have sadly sold on? Any on your wishlist?

Lenses, basically.

I've got a bit of a need to strengthen my arsenal of lenses. I've been using the classic (to the point of cliche) Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 adapted on my MFT cameras. Also have the Samyang 85mm f/1.4, which needs a slight bit of repair to the casing (optics are fine).

I also have a couple of cheapo MFT lenses that get an airing every now and then. That's about it. I have an extensive wishlist.

2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Personally, I'm a little bit in two minds over whether to stick with native lenses, or adapt in Canon and other glass.
    I've been doing a bit of a haphazard two-prong strategy thus far, but I'm not sure that it's really sustainable.

3. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

What kind of projects/shoots are you working on? It kind of depends on the application.

4. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Well, that's the thing - a bit of a mixed bag really. I kind of like the portability and accessibility of native lenses, but I've got half an eye out for future camera compatibility.

5. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Also depends on focal length (longer is going to be very unwieldy on full frame for instance) and a thousand other factors.

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I know. I keep doing this thing of getting a 25mm MFT lens, then a while later getting an EF mount 85mm, then having to work out all sorts of conversion factors :facepalm:.

7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Yeah better to just stick to one and run with it really.

8. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I guess so.

9. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Casting his shadow weaving his spell

One lens I wouldn’t be without is my 70-200 f/2.8

alsoknownas likes this.
  10. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

What body do you use that with? And what kind of use do you get from it?

11. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Casting his shadow weaving his spell

When using two bodies, I’ll put it on my cropped 7D, when using one body it’s on my 6D. I use it for all sorts really. It’s not my go to lens for street but love using it for candid shots on the seafront, also landscape. It’s a great lens for picking out shots you’d miss with a smaller focal length.

neonwilderness and alsoknownas like this.
  12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

A longer lens is on my list! I'm thinking that's where the real MFT advantage is, so I've been looking at the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8.

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Leica Summicron 50mm/f2 v3. In practice I use it pretty much all the time these days, shooting film with an M6. Sure, some of this is going to be me thinking that I need to use the hell out of this expensive shit now I've bought it, but it is easily the best quality lens that I own, and it's considered quite far down the list of "best Leica lenses" too. It shoots perfectly at f2 without any distortion; the most I could say was that wide open the bokeh is slightly "busy" but honestly who gives a toss about that.

f2 isn't the fastest in the universe but I've shot indoors in a dimly lit gallery with Ektachrome and it was fine.

I must give a shout out to the Voigtlander 21mm/f4, even if it needs an external finder and also is really easy to stick your fingers in front of because it's so tiny. You want close crowd shots and wide environmental ones, fuck 28 and 24, 21 is where it's at. Also, for lower light, f4 might not be very fast but with a 21mm you can shoot at really low speeds handheld, and like the 'cron it's just as good wide open as stopped down.

alsoknownas likes this.
  14. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Fuck, that looks like a really nice lens. I have to admit I do like a lens with a name like Nocticron or Summicron or whatever. I'm a right sucker for that :D.

15. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Noctilux, Nocton, Distagon, etc. :cool:

16. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Depends where I'm going and how much I want to carry.

Generally for landscape type stuff I'll have a 17-40mm f4 along with a 70-200mm f4. If I want to travel a bit lighter or for more general shooting I use a 24-105mm f4.

A small 17-200mm f2.8 would be ideal for me. But I don't think that exists or if it does it'd be well out of my budget :D

alsoknownas likes this.
  17. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Yep - that range and speed ain't ever gonna be small. Or cheap.

neonwilderness likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28mm-75mm Sigma f2.8 is doing it for me now!

alsoknownas likes this.
  19. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Are you using that mainly on the A7ii?

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's the only camera I've got that it fits!

21. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

That lens no doubt works great on that camera. I'd like a setup like that.

22. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

That's the only thing missing on the MFT system for me. A walkaround zoom with DoF options like how a f/2.8 works on a full frame sensor.
    I've been racking my brain looking for a solution to this, but I'm now convinced it doesn't really exist.

There's the Olympus ZUIKO 14-35mm f/2.0 that can be adapted from four thirds, but that lens is both obsolete and expensive (and massive!).
    There's also the Angenieux 17.5-70mm f2.2 lens for 16mm film, but that is genuinely vintage, with a look to match.

Best compromise I've managed is the trusty Sigma 18-35 on an active adaptor (not speedbooster) for a useful 36 - 70 range at f/1.8.

23. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

I get mine from Specsavers.:hmm:

24. Yeah, I imagine pissing around taking the speed adapter off isn’t ideal. I made the decision to stick with MFT lenses (if I was going down the adapter route I’d just buy canon mount). Still only have the voigt 25 atm.

25. Next on my wish list. Then maybe a wide angle one and that covers all bases unless I want to do macro.

alsoknownas likes this.
  26. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I have been mostly using my Sigma 28-70 f2.8 which on FF is quite a useful length, except that occasionally I get an over exposed shot which I think is down to the lens. I tried using my Nikon 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 exclusively for a while and didn't get them so the Sigma is looking possible as the culprit. It doesn't seem to be a stuck aperture as the action seems clean and easy.

For very wide, I have a Nikon 20 f2.8.

At the moment my least used lens is an 80-400 f4.5-5.6 AF VR. I have a putative project for which it is the right length, but being screw drive focussing it is quite noisy so I am considering upgrading it to the AFS G version which is faster and quiet "internal focussing".

However if I am considering that I should also consider a 70-200 f2.8 and a tele converter, which would give me two options for the price of one. The original Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is quite a bargain used now although I understand it isn't as good as the later but more expensive version.

alsoknownas likes this.
  27. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I've had my Sigma 20mm 1.8 on my D90 for donks. I never use anything else as I've gotten so used to used to not messing around with a zoom.

alsoknownas likes this.
  28. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

You tempted by the Voigt 10.5mm for wides then?

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  29. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

That's proper photography. *approve*.

Not that I'll be doing that myself, mind.

friedaweed likes this.
  30. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

My walkabout lens is the Nikon 18-200 VR. Only f3.5 at best, but VR is worth something, and it only cost about £300.

neonwilderness likes this.