What is your job to you?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by sovereignb, Dec 6, 2018.

1. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

...curious to non cuntish opinions.

Do you see it as "ive gotta put food on the table and pay bills" or do you see it as a way to fund positive things like holidays or personal projects?

Do you have a passion for what you do and do you feel you should always be moving up (in terms of towards management etc)

I ask because being in my late 30s, I sometimes think I should he doing/earning "more" than what I am. I think Ive been doing sideways moves for awhile now, although always gaining skills and management roles have never really appealed to me. Many of my new colleagues are much younger and I still don't know what I want to do long term with regards to employment. I do know I want to use the income to get into the property game, so I'm trying to keep that my focus.

I can imagine having kids (which I don't) would have a big impact.

A380 likes this.
  2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I love my work, it’s brilliant. It’s doing something I have a passion for, I get very well looked after doing it and I’ve worked my way to a point where I’m reasonably high up the tree as it were.

But... it’s still just a job. A way to pay the bills and buy nice stuff. If I won the lottery tomorrow I’d never do another day of it without a seconds thought.

3. Sea Star

Sea Star peace and love; peace and love

It's a vocation for me which I also get paid for. And tbh if I didn't end up destitute I'd do most of it for nothing. Way back in the 1990s when i was an environmental activist I made serious plans to move into environmental management as a profession because that's all I wanted to do. Then years later after my plans had come to nothing I was just offered the job of environmental management out of the blue because one manager had heard that i was a bit passionate about the environment and nobody else wanted to do it. Now that I have 8 or 9 years solid experience at different aspects of the job I feel, finally, that I'm in a team doing proper environmental work and making important differences.

The only reason i would leave is after many years of no pay rise I genuinely struggled to be able to survive. I'm not there yet and I hope in the next year or two I can make some changes to my lifestyle that means I won't need as much money as I currently earn, which will make things a lot easier for me and my partner.

4. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

It’s what keeps the plates spinning, which gives it a critical importance which isn’t healthy.

I think I’d enjoy it more if every aspect of my life didn’t depend on not fucking it up.

5. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I generally enjoy my job and I find it interesting. It also pays well and stretches my mind in a good way. But as bees says up thread, if I won a lot of money tomorrow, I doubt I'd even have the decency to ring the boss. I'd be off to the Caribbean before you could say Pina colada.

6. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

Everything and nothing

Pays well, is quite exotic so gives me a sense of “not being “run of the mill 9-5”

Ultimately when it goes wrong and I earn my money I get involved in life and death stuff which is rewarding

In reality on most jobs I can dial it in wherever I am. I enjoy the challenging jobs I need to put effort into but I accept that 1. I’m fucking lazy and 2. in reality i’m A fucking pawn like everyone else and no matter how high you think you fly some cunt behind a desk with no fucking idea you exist can just take it away. You can’t invest your own personal value in that

I’m 45 years old and have never banged an honest days work out

Try and positively effect those around you in particular those “below” you

I’m shitfaced so apologies for an overblown post

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

I enjoy doing events and gigs, travelled all over the world multiple times however after twenty years in the industry my body is starting to take the toll, im falling to bits:eek: I've been self employed and my own boss picking and choosing what I want to get involved with for most of my life...however, I don't have a pension, insurance, savings, a mortgage or a deposit for one despite working hard most of my life I'm not sure if I've benefitted from the industry or been chewed up and spat out It just feels like I'm constantly treading water, will probably be like that till I hit I'll health.....god knows what I'll do then. Just glad I've managed to avoid the office :thumbs:

ice-is-forming and sovereignb like this.
  8. LeytonCatLady

LeytonCatLady Well-Known Member

This is a great topic.

sovereignb , I'd say the important thing is, are you happy; or at least not miserable? I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to just work for the income because you need it to buy both necessities and luxuries. As long as you give of your best effort when you're at work, you have no requirement to make it your life. Don't compare yourself to your colleagues, think about you.

I began busking last year, aged 30 (I'm only a year older than you and still consider myself quite young). I'm mad about music so I'd say what I'm doing now is my passion, which I know most people aren't lucky enough to be able to make a living from; but before that I'd always worked in call centres and offices to pay the rent. I resigned in a bit of a hurry after a disagreement with management (kind of a last straw thing). Quitting a day job to play music seemed like a very drastic decision to others, and everyone was surprised but were pleased for me when it worked out. But I'd spent my whole life since I was 16 being sensible, doing a "proper" job and treating music as a "hobby". I'm not saying everyone should take that risk, only making the point that your day job doesn't have to be your passion as long as you take it seriously when you're there. In my case, I just no longer had any energy to give to it. I definitely wouldn't have fancied the responsibility of being a manager!

I think you're doing fine. As long as your job doesn't make you miserable, that's what counts. And if you genuinely want to try other stuff you can, but don't follow a path that corporate society expects you to take, just for the hell of it.

9. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

What is this "job"of which you speak? :hmm:

10. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Fully self-actualised

My job, as it is, is an entry into a field that I would love to be in. I'm right at the bottom, working nights in a care home. Just gone onto full-time, after doing a couple of months covering the other night staff when they had holiday. I should be doing this for a few months, no more than a year, before I can hopefully move into what I actually want to do, which is work directly with clients on their recovery, which I think I'll really enjoy. Because it's residential care for extended periods, the work we do and relationships we build with clients is much more in-depth than someone in the same field working a day programme might be able to achieve, which is what particularly appeals to me about specifically residential.

Whilst I'm doing nights, I've also started a college course in counselling, which will help massively once I move onto days. The nights give me ample time to do my work for this. I also currently do 3 on, 4 off, which means I have from Sunday morning through to Thursday evening to do what I like. Which feels like a lot of free time for what is actually a full time job..

11. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

This is exactly how I feel. My job is prone to fucking up and I have to try very hard to hold it all together while knowing that if it does all go to shit it'll all have been for nothing. Right now I'm doing a job way above my level, and until I get my MA (next May) I can't jump ship because nowhere else would hire me to do what I do. I'm also going to rely heavily on good references from some people who are easily upset and growing disillusioned with our program.

I love teaching, and if there were no consequences, I'd be pretty happy. As it is, I have a ludicrous amount of responsibility, and no one here in China can manage me because they don't have a clue what I'm doing. :facepalm:

I am well paid. But again, I'm paid to do a role I should never really have been given. :D :facepalm:

A380, equationgirl and ice-is-forming like this.
  12. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

I love my job. I love being in the classroom knowing that I make a difference. I love the interaction with the students.

I loathe the interminable paperwork. I recently worked out that each class will have 200 A4 sheets of forms to complete for this term.

ice-is-forming, Edie and sovereignb like this.
  13. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Currently, I like my jobs (casual worker so got a few) and they’re giving me good experience but they’re helping to pay the bills whilst I study.

Because I’m casual, have no guarantee of hours and don’t work that much I’m not particularly emotionally invested with either job but I still want to do well.

The profession I’m currently training for is different. This is a lifelong ambition/vocation so there’s a lot of emotional investment there and a lot of fear and expectation too.

I’ll be on placement for 5 months next year so I’m about to find out if I can actually do it and if the 50k student debt was worth it.

No pressure then!

Whilst I wouldn’t be working in such a pressured job if I didn’t need to work as I’m essentially very lazy, I can’t think of another unrelated field I’d rather work in so I guess that’s good.

14. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

My job is me . . . there, I've said it

I gauge my worth, value, "position" (whatever that is), how I feel about myself, by how my job is perceived (it's importance and status) in the industry I work in

Fuck knows I'm not a very big fish in a small pond . . . I'm not

My most recent career turn has seen me plummet from my high water mark of a couple of years ago, back to a role I was doing 20 fucking years ago with a substantial drop in salary - I'm so embarrassed and ashamed by what's happened that I've no intention of updating my Linked In profile for all of my colleagues and peers to see how I've "fallen" and I'd not climbed that far up the slippery pole, but I was going in the (for me) right direction

Mrs Voltz still had faith in me, but she really doesn't understand the industry I'm in - I've always been a half seeing man in the land of the blind and as such I've been able to make the best of the opportunities that have come my way . . . but there are a fair few people in my industry with a LOT of sound technical knowledge that, because they work for the "big boys", can be carried, as they are, to all intents and purpose, non-productive - offering a technical support service that is, basically, given away as part of the service

I'm also 57 years of age and whilst, in my head at least, not over the hill, when you couple the fact that what people 10 and 20 years younger than me can do - there isn't a long list of people queueing up to give me a job or even opportunities to go for

But when it's going great - I love my industry / job

15. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

Of course I still have faith in you - whyever not ? You're still the same person regardless of the job you're in. You have breadth and depth of experience that many younger people simply don't and the fact that you're still able, at 57 to take up a technical role again is something not many 57 year old's could still do, they simply lose the ability to cope with the technical side so the fact you still have the smarts to do it is a great thing and you're not sitting at home moping which means you're pragmatic.

Your industry has changed dramatically throughout your working lifetime and I for one would be interested to know how many of your peers have moved away from it, or have had to move away.

Thus far most of your jobs have appeared out of the blue, you've had to go looking for work rarely. This speaks well of your ability and reputation but has had the downside that you're now expecting to be tapped on the shoulder and something offered to you. This is rarely people's experience of the working world so the fact that it hasn't happened in a year or so is really no surprise. I feel that if you could be a little more pragmatic still and looked for something related to your specific skillset rather than an exact fit, or maybe gained a qualification (showing you could put effort into it),that your chances would improve.

High Voltage, ice-is-forming and Edie like this.
  16. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

17. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

I'm not in it for the money, which is just as well because I'm not quite on 20K despite working full time, 12 hrs shifts, nights.
    I love my job. I did feel pressure to move on up the ranks ( for way more responsibility and not much more money) I did a year of a course but withdrew because at this time of my life things need to be really really simple - 3-4 shifts at work a week, seeing ma in London every 4- 6 weeks. Having a dance and some social life. Getting the house together so it can be sold. Supporting my son. Looking after my physical and mental health.
    I get quite a few social needs met at work and really good holidays- can't afford to go anywhere. .....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Rebelda, Riklet, Lupa and 1 other person like this.
  18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

happy enough with my job. management could do with improving, mind.

Badgers likes this.
  19. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

I have a badly paid job with no prospects, but I thoroughly enjoy being at work because I get on very well with my colleagues, and it's fun. I have to work in order to pay the bills. I feel very lucky that I enjoy work, especially as I've had jobs in the past which I absolutely hated, so I know how miserable that can be.

moomoo, MickiQ, Reno and 2 others like this.
  20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

A waking nightmare

21. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

It's just a job and I have no attachment to my employer. Like others, if I won the lottery I'd be out of there instantly.

Badgers likes this.
  22. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I have just taken someone onto help me, he's 57. I saw his CV and the date he left school and worked out his age, then thought, why not? if he goes to 65 that's 8 years, how much can you expect from a member of staff? So it's not the end of the road for you High Voltage

MickiQ, High Voltage and izz like this.
  23. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

My current job is the best I've ever had in every respect. Decent pay, decent company and I do have to genuinely engage brain so it keeps me occupied. It is still though a means to an end. It enables me to live the lifestyle I want to. If I inherited a wedge tomorrow or won the lottery or something I'd be out of there the very next day. I really don't understand people who work when they don't have to.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  24. LeytonCatLady

Don't put yourself down mate. Shit happens, and it doesn't make you a failure.

25. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Paid ok-ish, could get more if I went into management but can't be arsed with management:D fairly safe (Local Authority) which is a factor when you get into your 50s, pension and all that :hmm: But like most people, I'd give it up without a thought if my numbers came up :cool:

26. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've gone totally freelance this year. It's been kinda tough, taking more work away from home then I like, to much dead time, learning how to manage my diary and find clients. I'm poorer then I've been for years, but Im also happier. 2019 will have to be a bit different though if it's going to ultimately sustainable, but I fealt I had to try.

27. LeytonCatLady

They must genuinely love their job. Must be nice.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  28. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

If you win the lottery go on the sick and rinse them for everything you can just on principle

29. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

Sounds fucking perfect!

30. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Having had a two year period without a paying job, I appreciate being in work for the ability not just to pay my way but also to enjoy some nice things as well.

I enjoy my present job and it is doing what I trained for which is nice. I don't get a feeling of status from my role, some years ago, younger and in a more senior role I used to feel some of that but no more. A key positive of my current role, and it is significant, is that the people are very nice. This offsets the amount of stress you can get if working for wankers, which I have experience of in the past.

My advancing years (54) are a concern because it gets harder to win a roles as your years advance, hopefully the present job will continue a while yet.

sovereignb likes this.