What is this?

Discussion in 'transport' started by mrs quoad, Sep 8, 2018.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

And how does it go?

5 big cylinders, two small up top.

DD869DF2-D066-43EF-B06B-ECC1DC7C4906.jpeg 04A74378-6C30-4EEA-9F31-02D3523275EE.jpeg

A380 and Mumbles274 like this.
  2. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Is it some sort of railway engineering, running on compressed air or similar?

3. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Looks like it could be?

Compressed-Air Locomotives

dessiato likes this.
  4. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

What's the purpose of going to so much trouble to power it ?
    Given it looks to be contemporary with steam locos so it presumably isn't due to fire issues .. perhaps weight ?
    I suppose if you had a lot of them you could have one central power house to charge them up ...

5. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Perhaps it is for use in high risk environments. Years ago I worked in an area that stored very highly flammable, carcinogenic, chemicals. Perhaps something like this could have been used there. (We used special tankers and pumps)

Or maybe in arsenals.

Poi E and gentlegreen like this.
  6. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Suspect it’s for mining, they used compressed air locomotives for obvious reasons.

7. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

We're gonna need a bigger balloon.

gentlegreen likes this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Britain's nuclear deterrent pre-Trident.

gentlegreen likes this.
  9. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

I've not met one of these, but I'm inclined to agree with the above.

There's some environments where you would not want anything that puts out smoke or risk of sparks. One option was 'fireless' steam locomotives which got filled full of steam at a safe spot then could trundle around safely.

more about mining railways (including picture of something fairly similar) on wikipedia

A380 likes this.
  10. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It’s from a mine.

mrs quoad and kebabking like this.
  11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Fucking hell. I've proper got the fear now, knowing you were let loose in a "high risk environment". I'm only surprised that Armageddon didn't ensue!!! :eek:

12. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Yeah someone who is not safe with an iron should not be let loose in a high risk environment, :D

A380, kebabking, gentlegreen and 2 others like this.
  13. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Slightly related, my big yellow Pashley bike was (ahem) ‘borrowed’ from a former chemical works in South Wales where the fitters had to cycle everywhere due to the explosive risks from using combustion engines. A bloody big site too, they must have been pretty fit.

A380 likes this.
  14. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry, asked a bloke on a train about it a short while later! Mining train, compressed air to 200... erm. I’m thinking psi but it must be bar, given he was talking in his second language and wouldn’t do ps?! Could do about 2km before a refill, with refill stations underground.

They also had a tireless Stan engine.

Which seem to be the only engines they run. Idk why - perhaps bc they run through a forest :hmm: Tho he intimated they sometimes run firey steam through it, tho. Erm. He only described fireless engines.

A380 and gentlegreen like this.