What is this bush/tree/plant?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by mrs quoad, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Euphorbia :)

Leafster likes this.
  2. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

They're euphorbia Rutita1 (aka spurge)

Rutita1 likes this.
  3. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Thank you both! :)

Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii
    spurge

This handsome euphorbia has upright stems clothed with whorls of fleshy, glaucous leaves and topped with huge heads of chartreuse-green flowers with bronze 'eyes' from March to May. The Edwardian garden designer Gertrude Jekyll described this sun-loving, evergreen shrub as 'one of the grandest of plants'. Euphorbia characias originates from the Mediterranean, where it is found on dry rocky slopes and scrubland, so it is very tolerant of drought once it becomes established. It forms a natural rounded shape, and brings structure and an architectural quality to the garden. A tall mainstay of the traditional herbaceous border, it's equally at home in a contemporary minimalist or gravel garden. It may self-seed, but plants rarely come true from seed.

5. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

Yep, they are Euphorbias of some kind. Watch out for the milky white sap - some people find it's a skin irritant.

Rutita1 likes this.
  6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Yeah I have had that when i have cut the larger plants back. A bit itchy but not too bad. :)

7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I saw a survival programme where a guy actually drank the sap from desert Euphorbias. :eek:

8. campanula

campanula plant a seed

They are euphorbias, Ruti - probably e.characias, sub.sp. 'Wulfenii'...or possibly e,amygdaloides var robbiae. Anyway, be very careful cutting them - if you get any of the latex-like sap on your skin, it will react with sunlight and can cause horrible blistering. Apart from that, they are a great architectural plant, beloved of wildlife and an absolute design stalwart. Looks fabulous with purple toadflax or nicotiana...anything purple, really.

Oh, sorry for the repetition - a whole slew of posts appeared whilst I wasn't noticing.

9. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

There's a big old tree on my way home which I swear currently has baby blue flowers right at the top. (perhaps the very lightest of mauve)
    I will try to get a close-up of the leaves at some point. This is from Google street view.

mysterytree.jpg

10. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Paulownia tomentosa? Foxglove tree.. I have seen one in flower but can't remember how recently it was.

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Seems like a good fit - the poor thing is past its best and the only flowers are way up high - and I cycle past not wearing glasses ...

12. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Are they doing building work right next to it? It doesn't look to happy in your pic... But too early for leaves to have fallen I think :( sad tree!

13. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

It's just outside the old Frenchay Hospital site - it's being turned into a housing estate.

14. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Princess tree?

I saw one in bloom about 2 weeks ago, I was confused as fuck. Amazing thing.

15. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Without my glasses on and it being at a junction where I'm focussed on the traffic, this one looks like a mauve magnolia :)

16. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Put this on' what common plants or weeds are growing in your neighbourhood', but no takers. Must like sandy soil as it a coastal town. Driving me mad to what it is. DSC_0043.JPG

17. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

18. Calamity1971

Thank you gentlegreen. I knew it was daisy family but couldn't find it anywhere. The closest match was michaelmass but way to early in the year. :thumbs:

19. Artaxerxes

Spotted this as it's got nice odd leaves that are red in amidst its mass of green leaves.

Getting some sort of reddish berries as well.

IMG_0806.JPG

20. Callie

Callie Pivoting

those almost look like rose hips - did you ever see it in flower?

gentlegreen likes this.
  21. Artaxerxes

Didn't notice it flowering sadly, it's more tree sized than what I associate with the rose family.

22. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Ok.
    Please, help me out here, fellow ubs.
    I had some "miner's lettuce" in a salad today (at a local establishment).

What is it ? any other common / proper names ?

23. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Winter purslane / Claytonia perfoliata

StoneRoad likes this.
  24. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Huge family - includes apples, plums and pears small berried trees include hawthorn and wild service as well as mountain ash ...

25. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Artaxerxes likes this.
  26. Calamity1971

Found this whist walking the mutt. Before it flowered the seed heads were spiky buggers. Can't find owt on Google.
    DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0128.JPG

27. campanula

campanula plant a seed

phlomis russelliana, aka Jerusalem sage (or Turkish sage).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Calamity1971 likes this.
  28. Calamity1971

Cheers :thumbs:

29. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

some sort of hydrangea ?

mysteryshrub.jpg

30. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Is this actually an acer ?

mystery2.jpg