What is so bad about Virgin internet?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Epona, May 17, 2018.

1. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

OK. For years now we have had a problem with our phone line. We switched to BT Infinity, but the same problem persists - our internet just goes belly up for sometimes hours on end (it's been down for 6 hours out of the last 24).

This has been going on for years, and despite multiple reports to BT, visits from Openreach (or whoever it is who deals with their infrastructure), over the last few years - it's just getting gradually worse and worse, they don't seem to be able to fix it.

Going with another ISP that uses the same telecoms/internet infrastructure won't help, since BT have failed to fix the problems with the cabling.

Virgin are starting to look more and more attractive as an option - a different cable that won't have some sort of dodgy connection on it is looking like it might be worth giving it a try at this point. I mean how bad can their customer service be (Nate's objection - he says they are shit - but compared to the problems we are having already?) If I can be connected for more than 18 hours a day at more than 1Mbps then that is a lot better than I have from BT Infinity right now.

2. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This sounds like a cable fault ( which bt should sort out ), but yes virgin cannot be this bad. I’d move.

Alex

3. Epona

Yeah it's definitely a fault somewhere - probably between the cabinet and our flat. But they've not been able to fix it in years despite multiple callouts - I'm just sick of it at this point. Virgin's traffic shaping and fair usage policy always seemed harsh compared to BT, but even that would be better than having no fucking internet for hours at a time, and no resolution to the problem in years. (During all this time we've also been on a really slow speed, so having that at peak times would not seem so bad if it was faster at others, and stable).

4. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Virgin are fine.
    Their customer service is just as shit as BTs

krtek a houby and Badgers like this.
  5. Epona

I'm supposed to be on between 50-70Mbps - this is on BT fibre

[​IMG]

This is actually great compared to our usual (we often only get 2 Mbps) - but it's really unstable when it's whizzing at such giddy speeds and keeps disconnecting.

6. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Virgin's customer service is appalling. They just deny it's their fault and do nothing for weeks when there's a fault.

7. Epona

So a shorter version of the issue I've had with BT for the last 10 years...

8. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Virgin is the only company offering a decent speed where I am. I don't like Branson but am pretty much stuck with them. Did have issues for a while when it kept going down/slow but nothing much of late.

The customer service is really shit. They are only interested in selling you more services but that is mostly the same for internet/phone companies as a rule.

sojourner and trabuquera like this.
  9. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Personally I still think BT is at the best of a bad bunch. In my part of South London Virgin media has had a fairly bad rep on reliability. But I know in other parts of London they provide a fast reliable connection.
    If you do switch make sure it is a Virgin supplied cable and they are not using BT's cabinet to supply their branded internet.

Lepton and Badgers like this.
  10. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Despite virgins traffic shaping - it’ll still be a lot faster than your bt.

The virgin traffic shaping seems pretty reasonable - it only applies to uploads, it’s only for 5 hours per day, it only reduces your throughput 65% and they reset every evening.

I can’t really see this affecting most people way in any significant way.

Alex

Badgers likes this.
  11. Epona

Thank you, that is something I hadn't thought of asking about - given that we are having problems with the cabling, I need to check that above all else! I thought the cable Virgin used was different, hence me looking at that as a solution. If it isn't then it looks like I'm fucked.

12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

13. Epona

I thought it did and has been there for years, it's just alex_'s post made me think maybe sometimes Virgin use BT infrastructure

Crispy likes this.
  14. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Given how long it takes Virgin for their ‘data’ to flow down the pipes, you could probably complain under the trades description act

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Epona - feel for you, but unless you can get a "new" - probably paid for - cable connection, then any ISP will be using the existing BT infrastructure.

Despite one of the main east - west inter-connectors going only a few feet away past our house, we have a copper connection to the local exchange, thus a greatly restricted service but have the equivalent of a business contract with BT. (which is way better than the previous service).

16. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I had a nightmare with Virgin when I tried to join in May 2017 (see post 199 onwards in the Virgin Media Crap / Not Crap thread) but I persevered because I was able to find a 100MB internet and TV deal for £20/month via HotUkDeals which didn't require me to have a landline phone, and since I finally got connected in August 2017 I've had very littlew problems. Also for the inconvenience of not connecting me when they should've in May, they gave me £100 credit when I was finally connected, which meant I haven't started paying a bill until just recently.

Occasionally we get a few hours of outage in the day (according to the OH) but it's been reasonably sound.

17. BassJunkie

BassJunkie devotees straight on

My experience leads me to highly recommend Virgin. Currently:

"210.1
    Mbps download
    Mbps upload
    Latency: 44 ms
    Server: London
    Your Internet speed is very fast

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing and gaming at the same time."

I think I've been with them since the 90s. Even then they were notorious for rubbish customer service, but in all that time I've not had reason to call on them. Given it's a dedicated line, rather than relying on BT's line I would go as far to say I'd be reluctant to move to somewhere that didn't have Virgin available.

Albeit they're not the cheapest.

It has allowed us to lose the Sky Box, the Virgin box even and now get all of our TV from the internet (Netflix, Amazon Prime, iplayer, All4 etc). Never looked back.

18. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've never had a nightmare as such, but I have had to chase them up to resolve stuff.

I was getting slow speeds for a couple of years, never mega slow, but say 15 mbs on a 50 mb connection...... It turned out what they'd done is filled up subscriptions on the area, but not adjusted attenutation at cabinet or in the house..... Had a few engineers out over the first 3-4 years, they'd sort it, but it would eventually slow down again.

Last few years though, been pretty happy, except the price hikes. I also found their community forum to be much much better than the phones, although there was more than once they'd say they'd booked an engineer, I'd sit in waiting for them and then they'd not turn up.

I'm still on an old superhub, they've been trying to upgrade me to the superhub 3, but I don't want it, because its got issues. Plus I use my own router, which seems to make a big speed difference.

19. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

How on earth do you know what speed you’re getting?

20. Crispy

Grump and Badgers like this.
  21. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

22. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

That was with one boy gaming, the other watching tele and me on my phone on the wifi

23. Crispy

Very!

Edie likes this.
  24. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Excellent. Ta. I shall now return to not thinking about it :D

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's scooorchio!

My BT connection gives me 44Mbs.

Edie likes this.
  26. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Virgin north leeds. Never had to use customer service mind, it’s always just worked.

27. Epona

How is it going to be on existing infrastructure when I saw them digging up the street and putting in the cable just a few years ago?

28. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

29. Epona

That's interesting, thanks. Suggests that it may be better for us to carry on wailing at BT rather than switching

30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

My mam had problems with a painfully slow BT broadband connection. It would drive me nuts every time I visited. It might as well have been dial-up. So I was somewhat relieved when she eventually moved house, only for similar problems to occur in her new place using Sky. :facepalm:

I think the problem was how far away where she lives is from the exchange. So the answer was she upgraded to Sky’s fibre optic service. I think the govt started making noises recently about firms not providing the speeds they advertise. It’s a piss take that people pay for a service they often don’t receive.