1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hash tag, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I'm feeling sick of London for the first time. I still like and am happy in my corners of south London , but most of the rest of it is making me feel suffocated these days.... But it's nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the effects of property prices and how thats changed the landscape and culture. There is a chance that Brexit (when it happens) might burst the bubble, and painful as that will be it could be good for London in the midterm.

As to the feeling amongst migrants/people with migrant heritage that they're not welcome anymore....I think that will fade....The Brexit campaign was upsetting and aggressive, as was the aftermath....but I'd like to think that in London at least we'll move on. London is too multi-cultural and multi-ethnic not to.

Iain Sinclair wrote a London is Dead type thing the other day...its in the usual Sinclair style, but if you like that kind of thing: LRB · Iain Sinclair · The Last London
    The video is good (shorter!)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Maggot likes this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

"Proper London". Using the Cockney rule, that would be anywhere within the sound of Bow Bells/ With all the tall buildings, traffic noise Etc. this area must have shrunk over the last few years.

3. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Those of us living transpontine are living in historic Surrey or Kent. Remember archaic Surrey extended fully up to the South Bank as far East as Bermondsey/Rotherhithe (ever wondered why the Surrey docks/bank were so named?).
    The Northernmost Hundred of Surrey was Brixton (South Bank down to Streatham), but just South of that they'll be quite a few Urbz surprised to learn that they live in the historic Surrey Hundred of Wallington!.

upload_2017-4-12_9-15-39.png

upload_2017-4-12_9-17-39.png

A few years ago the 'Londonist' even resurrected ancient Wallington when 're-imagining' GL with many fewer boroughs.

upload_2017-4-12_9-19-20.png

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    EastEnder likes this.
  4. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

I love this map of the Brixton Hundred:

[​IMG]

Shame it's not bigger, I want to see if it shows the all important distinction between SW9 (Brixton wannabes) and SW2 (Real Brixton). :cool:

ViolentPanda and brogdale like this.
  5. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

Great programme during the week; where is obscure place a, where is obscure place b and how do you get from a to b - no hesitating Etc.
    The Knowledge: The World's Toughest Taxi Test - All 4

Beetlebum and tony.c like this.