Question What happens if you accidentally buy a French wireless router instead of a UK one?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by AnnO'Neemus, Jul 5, 2018.

1. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I needed to buy a wireless router, so I bought one off eBay. I know, I know.

When it arrived, it turned out they'd sent me a French one. The box gave specs and iirc the French specs were a higher frequency than the UK version.

No biggy, I had an EU>UK adaptor plug and when it was all plugged in, it still worked, so far so good.

But the WiFi connection does seem to be a heck of a lot slower than when I plug the ethernet thingy in.

Does the French/English thing make that much of a difference?

Or do I just need to get some kind of boosters, because the walls in my flat are quite solid, it's an older building, not a flimsy modern one, so I wondered whether that was an issue?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Is it suffering the slowness because it has to translate the wifi signal from French into English? :hmm:

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It shrugs every time you get an email.

Chz, marty21, fishfinger and 7 others like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But seriously, I don't think it would make any difference. What's the model number?

gosub and AnnO'Neemus like this.
  5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

6. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

It really should have a audible warning message that goes "Errrr"

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  7. AnnO'Neemus

It's a D-Link DIR-615.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work fine.

9. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

10. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

There are some minor differences in routers by region - I think certain channels (frequencies) are banned in Israel, for example, and it might be set up with different defaults (MTU etc). On the former I don't think there's anything relating to France.

WiFi is slower and often less reliable than ethernet, so what you're experiencing is not surprising. The router, the environment and the client devices (e.g. laptop) can all play a part in its crapness.

Chz likes this.
  11. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

The French deliberately hobbling the device now they've tracked its location to the UK? :hmm:

marty21, AnnO'Neemus and gentlegreen like this.
  12. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Sounds like it's on a go-slow already. Don't be surprised if it downs tools completely and goes on strike at the most inconvenient time possible for you.

13. 2hats

2hats

After March next year there will be a tariff to pay on all the outgoing packets.

14. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

You immediately forget to stop washing and become an obnoxious cunt.

15. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

comme tous les rosbifs

gentlegreen likes this.
  16. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I set up some cordless phones on the voip phone server at work that the receptionist could use and move about the building. I got them from a UK website but they sent me european phones.

One day a guy from Ofcom turned up, seized the phones, and I had to sign a police caution - the whole '...you do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence...' business.

17. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

There is no difference at all between the GB and FR regulatory domains (not at the 2.4/5ghz level anyway). Most of Europe uses the same standards. There are some differences in the US, Japan and Israel but that's it. Don't worry.

Chz and AnnO'Neemus like this.
  18. AnnO'Neemus

Thanks all, for the sensible comments, and the funny ones! :D