1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Wakey, Wakey, Eggs & Bakey!

Screenshot 2018-02-04 at 19.09.17.png

The Best Pair of Legs in the Business

Reg Varney playing Sherry, an aging female impersonator who is past his parime and working on a caravan site. He's living in the past and can't see what's crumbling around him. Mainly watched out of morbid fascination. 5/10

2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The Machine Stops

Under an Arctic Sky - short doc on surfing in remote west Iceland. Stunning scenery.

3. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

Thor Ragnarok

It was mostly well done, but they veered too far into the comedy side at times, Taika Wahiti should really have restrained himself, particularly with regard to the self-indulgent Korg character (although "Piss off ghost" was the best joke in the film :D).

Thor himself definitely benefited from the lighter tone, as did Loki and Banner, but the whole thing felt lightweight. Goldblum being Goldblum didn't really help in that respect.

Cate Blanchett hammed it up pretty well, is it damning with faint praise to say she was the best Thor villain so far?

Cracking music though, and Tessa Thompson was great (loved her since Veronica Mars tbf), a good step up from Natalie Portman's bored appearances as Jane.

Also, weirdest Matt Damon cameo since Eurotrip.

7/10

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017) - IMDb
    Telling the story of how the creator of the lie detector test also came up with the idea of wonder woman via his polyamorous relationship with his wife & lover and also the relationship between his wife and his lover, who all lived together and raised their kids together! As well as the basic fundamentals of bondage and submission being a key factor in many of Wonder Woman's early outings!
    6/10

5. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

A film called Downsizing...first half hour was pleasant enough but then descended into a completely different film
    Dissapointing.

6. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

on the iplayer at the mo,

Birdman, random watch but done it twice now... great movie & oscar winner.

Michael Keaton plays in an powerful, Oscar-winning drama about a former movie star, haunted by self-doubt, who gambles all on mounting a Broadway production of a Raymond Carver short story on Broadway.

Fast paced and really cool camera.

18 days left......

Birdman

cybershot likes this.
  7. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

Altered Carbon

Visually beautiful, bearing the imprint of many films. The story? Less impressive - but undoubtedly worth your time.

8. krtek a houby

Black Mirror - Hated in the Nation. Probably my favourite episode so far. Exceptional. We followed that with the USS Callister ep, which, although enjoyable, couldn't top the previous ep.

9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

That was one of my top episodes. It felt a bit more complete than lots of the episodes can seem like little more than a good idea with a flimsy plot attached.

krtek a houby likes this.
  10. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

just found a decent copy of the bladerunner sequel, looks good if a little slow so far, gonna watch again another day as with a mate atm who is distracting a little.

+ he not even seen the first one yet!

11. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

The Running Man - 1963 Carol Reed thriller starring Lee Remik, Laurence Harvey and Alan Bates. Despite all that talent they still can't pull this mess into something decent, and Harvey's blond hair and moustache are appalling.

12. cybershot

Roman J. Israel, Esq. (2017) - IMDb
    Denzel Washington plays a defence attorney who finds himself out of a job after his partner has a heart attack, after failing to find work he gives in and works for the man his partners family sold the business too. In between this he does something that breaks the rules of his profession and everything tumbles slowly out of control. I say slowly, because everything in the film is supposed to happen within a 3 week period!
    8/10

Bridget Jones's Baby (2016) - IMDb
    If you've seen the others you know what to expect. A few laughs, silliness and a happy ending.
    7/10

13. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Alien Covenant - meh

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  14. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Lady Bird - it was funny, touching, sad, well written, well directed, a great turn from Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf as Lady Bird's Mum.

A real showcase for Greta Gerwig's talents.

sojourner likes this.
  15. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Cloverfield Paradox

An hour and forty two minutes of my life I’ll never get back. The very end scene was quite good.

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  16. TruXta

TruXta tired

Metcalf was great, but other than that I didn't quite see what all the fuss was about.

17. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Almost everything you post on this thread is negative so your opinion is no suprise.

18. Realive (2016) from Spanish director Mateo Gil, who wrote Open Your Eyes and The Sea Inside, about a man who is the first person to be brought back to life, after being cryogenically frozen, when medical technology has advanced enough in 2084. It explores some of the momentous morel & ethical questions this asks but doesn't really delve deep enough but instead focuses more on the romance story lines. Could of been better but I still enjoyed this this and would recommend it if you fancy some sci-fi that's a bit more thoughtful.

19. TruXta

TruXta tired

Only positive opinions allowed?

20. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Clearly not from you.

21. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

Surburbicon - B-

22. The Lobster

I got it, dont mistake that. I definately got it. but a metaphor too far , far too often.

23. I found it fascinating.Given the Reg CV, its a grim watch. maybe a brave one for him at the time.Unlikely to want to see it again though

24. cybershot

Daddy's Home (2015) - IMDb
    A typical Will Ferrell comedy, they arn't as good as they used to be, but how many time can you tell the same jokes. Still has a few highlights thou.
    6/10

25. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

Lady Bird

A vehicle for Saoirse Ronan, and she completely occupies the space made available to her. The problem here is that the film is entirely orientated by her, not through her, and this means that the other characters remain curiously detached. The relationship with her Mother, and the nature of female interaction which is so crucial to the film, thereby suffers. It is a true 'coming of age' film, by way of a highly particularised gender gaze that wishes to escape the apparent subordination and terrors of the universal.

7/10

26. cybershot

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) - IMDb
    Slow paced, though provoking, and also quite very silly. In the 70s and 80s this would probably have got reviewed as being one of the best horror/mystery films ever made and probably would have still had cult status today, however in 2017, redoing this kind of stuff won't see you make any top 250 lists anytime soon.
    7/10

27. krtek a houby

Sunshine on Leith

Wonderful little musical with Jane Horrocks, Peter Mullan. And a soundtrack by The Proclaimers, which made me well up. In a good way.

28. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Troy: Fall of a City

in this version of the tale Paris is a total lad. no cliche left unexpressed, no nuance bothered with. Absolute rubbish. trabuquera I defy you to find something of value in this

29. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

Do they at least have the wooden horse?

30. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

not yet. Its the inauspicious first episode of a thing on the Beeb and the gods wept to see it. Or I did, which amounts to the same thing these days