What do you think of Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by BigMoaner, Dec 24, 2015.

?

Dylan - how do you rate him

1. Excellent

46 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Good

23 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Poor

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Shite

16 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. og ogilby

og ogilby Well-Known Member

Probably the best audience recording ever.:cool:

2. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

I'll just leave this here:

3. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music Enforced Holiday

More of a short story set to music than a poem. I wonder if she sent him the shoes?

4. Idris2002

Hmmm. Well. You know the story about how everyone assumed that "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" was about the Cuba crisis, and that he went along with it for years, before admitting that it wasn't. If he really had been a poet, it really would have been about the missile crisis.

5. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music Enforced Holiday

If he got it for Mr Tambourine Man Noel Gallagher might be the next poet laureate.

6. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Dylan is great because of his terrible voice. And because he was just making it up as he went along. And because he has produced some awful crap. And because he's a grumpy bastard. He was one of the greatest singer songwriters of the rock age.

7. Idris2002

But Nobel Prize material? Compared to Ngugi Wa Thiong'o?

8. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I don't really care about the Nobel prize. Means nothing to me.

9. Idris2002

You're a Midge Ure fan, then?

10. Fanny Fruitcake

Fanny Fruitcake Banned Banned

I actually do admire the ageing hipster for sometimes treating his oh-so-devotional fans with a mixture of barely disguised contempt for their undiluted worship of the Great One. Witness some of his live performances over the past decade or more, in which some of his songs are seemingly dismantled and destroyed so thoroughly and deliberately, that they sound barely recognisable or listenable to the original. An example of this is his MTV unplugged. Horrendous shit. See youtube for others. As for the Nobel Prize? I'm sure Roberti is over the moon. Not.

11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

as does Dylan. fucking lyricists

12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I'm sure there'll be a nobel prize for wubwub noises one day.

PursuedByBears likes this.
  13. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Lessing got it when she was in her 80s, Pinter got it when he was 75 and well after his most respected plays had been published, Llosa got it in his 70s, I'm not familiar with most of the other recent winner but I'd say giving to people late in their lives is pretty standard.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  14. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Surprised they aint given it to Coleridge - about as comtemp.............nuff said, ye no where I go wi dis.......

15. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Fair enough, I'll concede the point to your greater knowledge.

16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

This is so go good. His parody on Mcarthyism. Just needs to be very slightly rewrote for now.

Bears likes this.
  17. Orang Utan

they wrote books. not ditties

18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Spoken word is not less worthy than the written one.

19. Orang Utan

is it literature though?
    spoken word is really annoying until you can see it written down. only then does it make sense, esp song lyrics.

20. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

21. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Orang Utan This woman won the ted Hughes poetry prize last year, deservedly I think. Not written spoken. Kate Tempest. She's brilliant. Poetry is older than the guttenburg press.

SpookyFrank and Sea Star like this.
  22. Orang Utan

is there a transcript i can read? :p

23. Orang Utan

see with kate tempest, i want to read her novel. but i'm not fucking listening to her.

24. bimble

bimble noisy but small

You're just a blip then, poetry and myth was in the past and is now in the future mostly about sound, shared listening, not words on a page. :p

25. Orang Utan

still can't get with it. listening to people blethering on with all the other distractions vs black type on gleaming white paper. book wins every time

26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

The poetry society sells her work in silent print for a price, if you can't be bothered to listen for free. I saw her onstage once. It was beautiful.

Orang Utan likes this.
  27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

written has its place,
    where form meets function.

some poetry has to be heard really but loads of the form is good written- assonance and alliteration don't just work audio, the repetition of the shapes of the letters is also pleasing to look at. Then theres acrostics and various other novelty ways of doing written poesy. Plus line lengths matching and stanzas matching in length- all pleasing to the mind imo.

28. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Of course. Great wordsmithing holds its value written or heard.
    But the idea that you're only a poet if your main outlet is the printed word is silly.
    I like it that Dylan gets this prize, even if it its because nobody could think of a more contemporary candidate.

29. Orang Utan

There are plenty of other people who have written books

30. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Interesting. Maybe the issue is that you don't appreciate how some people 'deliver' their novels. The novel is something you see as a certain form. Oral forms of reflection and storytelling predate books for example. Some authors/wordsmiths don't want to be a part of their work after they have written/thought it...others like KT do well to continue to be physically involved with it.

bimble likes this.