what digital slr camera to buy (£800 budget)

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Mungy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

what digital slr camera to buy?

i've got £800 to spend on a new digital camera. i have narrowed it down to 2 cameras, either a nikon D70s or a canon eos 350D. i have spoken to 2 random strangers i have seen, one with a nikon the other with a canon. both reckon their camera is the best. the nikon has a better kit lens but the canon has 8 megapixels.

up until 10 minutes ago i definately wanted the canon. now i'm not sure.

or maybe the nkon d50? :confused: though i ain't seena review for that.

2. dlx1

dlx1 Well-Known Member

D70 vs Rebel
    I was looking at the D70 and found this Canon Rebel. but what do i know :D

I don't know if it cost more then the D70. lots on here U75 have the D70

3. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

:D cheers :D

4. editor

editor hiraethified

Both are great cameras. The Canon has the edge of image quality (just) but the Nikon handles better.
    Both will give you marvellous results!

5. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

arrrghhh :confused: :mad:

still can't make my mind up :rolleyes:

6. exosculate

exosculate a stagger with a beat

These two cameras are the classic dilemma question. I'd go with the Canon because there is little in it and it looks better.

7. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I have the D70 and love it, even though I'm a bit crap at it. Essentially though, they're so similar - if you have Canon or Nikon lenses already, then that makes your decision for you. If not, then just try them both.

If you go Nikon, try to find a D70 (not the 'D70s', it's exactly the same once you apply the software updates to the original, but more expensive!). The extra £150 or so will allow you a bit of cash for a good memory card and maybe a telephoto lens.

8. j26

j26 Legal Beagle

I bought a D70 a while back.
    I was just like you - D70 or 350D - back and forth in my head. What I did was went into a camera shop and tried holding them.

I was disappointed with the 350D. It felt very small in my hand (and my hands are not particularly huge), and fragile. The D70 felt much more substantial. I just knew I'd end up hating the 350D, so I went for the D70. I haven't looked back and now I can take excellent quality (but poorly composed!!!) pics.

Both are fantastic cameras, so it's really just down to preference. Don't forget to test them out for comfort - it is important. The 350D may feel better to you (it's lighter by a fair margin), or you may prefer the presence of the D70.

Plus a few people here had recommended the D70.

Edited to add: The kit lens on the Nikon IS very good, and will get you started. The extra 2 megapixels will make some difference in that you can crop a little tighter, but I'd rather have a good lens.

9. blueAsbestos

blueAsbestos space harrier

Have just replaced the d70 with a 20d. This was only cos I had my cameras stolen and wanted to pool the money into slightly upgraded body, which nikon doesn't currently have (apart from the ancient d100). The canon 20d is an excellent camera which it should be for what it costs, but I have had real traumas trying to find an eqivalent lens to the nikon 18-70 I had before. I eventually settled for the canon 17-85 which is about as good as the nikon lens but adds nearly 400 notes to the cost of the camera. Hardly anyone has talked about the merits of the two kit lenses. The canon is a pile of rubbish that is an insult to the 350d (imo), the nikon is excellent. I'm afraid that the d70 still wins for me at that price range, when factoring this cost in. You couldn't tell the difference in quality between my 20d and d70 anyway unless you start looking at noise patterns noise at 100% magnification. There nothing like a subjective post!

10. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Not sure if mentioned previously but do shop around on the net - 7 day shop etc. print off the quote and head to Jessops. By all accounts they will match the price... Has anyone got any exp of this?

11. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

They won't match 7DS because it's in Jersey. They should Amazon though, and that tends to be the cheapest.

12. blueAsbestos

blueAsbestos space harrier

Like I would use Jessops! They have some sort of no quibble returns policy. The upshot seems to be you are in danger of ending up with equipment that every other fucker in the world has "rented" for the weekend. I have returned 3 c5050s with bits missing. A Nikon d70 with a filthy sensor, and a sb880 that didn't even have its warranty card or instructions. The sb800 came complete with suspicious finger marks all over the lamp that looked like (hopefully) marmite. Jessops please feel free to sue me, Ed please feel free to supply my contact detailsto them . See you in court fuckers.

13. exosculate

Yes and they do - UK based only and they include postage and packing when getting the quote if from a web based shop.

14. exosculate

Never had any problems myself, and as you say you can return them.

15. editor

editor hiraethified

They were excellent with me, offering to refund/exchange a three month old camera.

16. Cid

Cid 嗯嗯

Not had problems with Jessops either, but I always go to New Oxford st branch which has good staff and a pro section...

I'd go for the D70, the ergonomics are exceptional, surprisingly simple once you get to grips with them (which doesn't take long). I also prefer having the auxillary LCD screen up top (rather than mounted over the viewing screen like on the canon). The kit lense is much better than the canon as well... Unless you buy one of canon's better lenses, the extra 2mp isn't going to make much difference. The Nikon still uses a CCD, some people may consider this a disadvantage - the canon uses CMOS tech, capable of very low noise - but CCD is better at handling overheating and (importantly imo) means the Nikon is capable of much faster shutter speeds - 8,000 when compared to 4,000 on the canon. Found this very useful in the summer and for action photography. Oh and (apparently) the autofocus on the D70 is better than that on the canon.

If you can find one cheap it may be worth going for an original D70 - if you use the firmware upgrade (legal, won't invalidate warrantee) it's almost the the same as the 's'.

That said I have virtually no experience with the canon, and it is highly rated by many people.