What constitutes crossing a picket line?

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by RubyToogood, Mar 4, 2018.

1. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

For instance if you're supposed to be helping out at an event at a striking university but the university has nothing to do with the event, other than having kindly let you use the room, and you don't work in HE yourself...

A380 likes this.
  2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

You wouldn’t be scabbing (I don’t think) but crossing a picket line is exactly that - regardless of not scabbing. (IMO)

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. rioted

rioted redundant

Talk to the pickets. It's their line, they decide who should cross.

4. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Crossing a picket line is as it says.

5. tim

tim Well-Known Member

This would be the decent thing to do

6. RubyToogood

That's good in theory but I need to say in advance if I'm going or not, and if I'm going to take a principled stand about not going I should be able to back it up.

7. RubyToogood

It has been pointed out that there are people who do work in HE who will probably not come because of this. I don't think I would have twigged till I got there otherwise.

8. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

You could ask the pickets in advance? (Presuming the venue is local-ish)

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

Cancel the event, don't put people in a bind

10. RubyToogood

I don't have the power to do that, I'm a helper.

11. RubyToogood

I think this might be the solution - someone must have a contact in the union at the university.

12. PippinTook

Is it a voluntary / no money involved / nobody is employed to do anything event?

13. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Personally I would cancel and explain that I wouldn’t want to be put in a predicament with people out on strike.

14. rioted

rioted redundant

If you said in advance you were going and then, on the day, were unable because weather, transport or family problems made it impossible, how would that be any different to a picket line asking you not to cross? Contact the local union branch and ask in advance if you're that worried.

ddraig likes this.
  15. PippinTook

If you're a helper then you're probably in a position to avoid it....the event I mean. You can't control anyone else in this situation but you can decide for yourself what you can do.

16. RubyToogood

Yes, we are doing good deeds in the world. The only people there in any kind of staff capacity are one or two people who work for charities, everyone else, and we're talking 150 or so people, is a volunteer.

I've set wheels in motion to try and talk to the union there. It's possible they'll say yeah go on in which case problem solved for everyone.

A380 and PippinTook like this.
  17. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I'd certainly prefer it if people didn't cross our picket lines.

It might not be an university event but it's at the university and by using university providing space you're providing the university of the opportunity to both to appear "open as normal" and allow it to claim that it is providing a useful social function.

18. PippinTook

I'd be inclined to not cross the line.
    If it's voluntary then it can be re-scheduled.

ddraig likes this.
  19. RubyToogood

Have you ever tried to reschedule an event with 150 people? My personal preference would be to move it, we're quite portable, but I doubt we'd find another venue at this stage.

PippinTook likes this.
  20. PippinTook

Oh sorry.....I thought you were helping? ...not organising the thing...but
    Sure...yeah I know what its like to reschedule events....up to 500 people some times.
    It's easily done now what with Twitter email and websites..group texts.etc..
    If the venue is free it's not that hard.

Good luck with it though...I hope that you reach a happy resolution with the unions. :)

ddraig likes this.
  21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

if in doubt don't go in case, also makes the point you support the strike, strikers and their struggle

PippinTook likes this.