What coffee are you drinking just now?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Voley, Oct 6, 2012.

1. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Worth a go just to see?

I've finally caved in a bought an aeropress. So that's a stove top, v60 and now this. Justifying it as its easier to take away with me...

kalidarkone and gentlegreen like this.
  2. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Dunno if it’s of any use knowing this but I have a Rhinowares hand grinder and the handle fits onto a 1/4” hex shaft so I use a small drill/driver with 1/4” hex bit holder to drive it. I put it on the slow speed so as not to overheat the coffee.
    Works a treat.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

It is. Especially as mine is a Rhinowares one. :D

danski likes this.
  4. danski

Result!

5. UnderAnOpenSky

6. danski

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Fuck off Grammarly !

I only use a drill with my Porlex if I misplace the handle.
    Unless you set it up in a stand with a flexible, shock-absorbing coupler, you'll come to grief eventually.

8. gentlegreen

I couldn't resist trying a tiny taste of my new Bolivian beans yesterday - the jury's out because my palate varies throughout the day - I dare say some would doubt it was actually coffee :D
    But I took the opportunity to try what was left in the mug with a bit of soy milk added and it wasn't at all unwelcome on a hot afternoon :)

9. gentlegreen

First proper taste of the Bolivian.
    Definitely has the fruity acidity, but also quite a lot of chocolate.
    It certainly enables me to eat too much breakfast.
    The beans are noticeably larger than usual and quite varied in colour.

To be honest, I'm really not sure what I like any more - or what coffee is actually supposed to taste like...
    Just so long as it doesn't taste like so-called "posh instant", or the one time I bought "Americano" at a coffee shop at work... (burnt acorns)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

If you don’t write a short story and start with that sentence you’ll have wasted your life.

11. gentlegreen

Sadly, in retrospect the Bolivian is a bit pants - poorly balanced.
    I added some of the last of the cocoa-y Brazilian beans and it improved it massively.
    Unfortunately no longer available - or at least it's up for a quality award and the taste profile has somehow changed ...

So I'm speculating on a bag of some El Salvador bourbon that has chocolate mentioned twice in its description with the hope that it will make a good blend.

Hasbean: El Salvador Finca Argentina Washed Bourbon

Hasbean now seem to stock only very limited quantities of beans so it's no good getting too fond of a particular one.

12. Hassan I Sabha

Hassan I Sabha Kick Muck !

First of this years Ethiopian Rocko Mountain Crop from Foundry roasters of Sheffield. Lovely balanced cup via V60, one of the top beans of the year.

13. gentlegreen

I keep meaning to try African coffee again, but I'm always nervous when the fruit comes first in the notes ... so not too acidic ?

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Still enjoying the strong Sainsbury's Espresso beans over here.

15. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Not necessarily acidic, in my experience. But the first crop Ethiopians can be incredibly fruity. I had one last year where I couldn't believe that blueberry flavouring hadn't been added!

gentlegreen likes this.
  16. Hassan I Sabha

Hassan I Sabha Kick Muck !

Smooth, low acidity. Kenyan's would give you higher acidity but this one is nice. Foundry are some (IMHO) one of the best roasters in the North of England.

gentlegreen likes this.
  17. gentlegreen

Double chocolate - this one's a keeper if they have any next time I order. :)
    I'll try a blend tomorrow with the disappointing Bolivian - just in case ...

18. gentlegreen

Well that was a bit of luck.
    They work quite pleasantly 50/50 :)
    (or am I biased ? :hmm:)