1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What car should we buy?

Discussion in 'transport' started by flimsier, Sep 8, 2005.

?

New or second hand?

1. You should buy new, and I've posted the make/model below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. You should buy second hand, and I've posted the make/model below

55.0%
  3. I don't have a clue about cars but I like voting.

45.0%
  1. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Poll and Pre-poll thread (see what I did there?)

I learned in a Ford Focus, and found it very easy to drive. I think they're quite expensive though.

I'll be using it to get to work when it's too cold to cycle. No more than total 30 mins.

We'll use it to go visit Birmingham, the West Country and Portsmouth about once a month.

We'll use it three or four times a week during the week to run-around.

My wife has 3 years no claims. I have none.

We are both clueless about fixing things if they go wrong.

Money is variable. We might spent a grand, or we might buy a new Ford Focus. What are the pros and cons?

Any suggestions?

2. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

For a grand you could get yourself a 10 year old [insert generic family car] with full service history and basically very sound. Save your money, don't buy a new car.

New car:

Pros of a new car: no MOT for 3(?) years, service package, latest safety gear, more fuel efficient
    Cons: you lose £000s when you drive it off the lot and most of the value after 5 years. Car may be new model with faults not yet identified, you'll worry about it as it arrives in perfect condition and only gets worse from there.

Old car:

Pros: cheap to buy, little depreciation, you're not contributing to all the waste from a new car being made
    Cons: may have reliability issues, use more gas, a bit tatty (but not necessarily so), older car with less safety features (so buy a bigger one=more protection), pay for servicing, although this shouldn't need to cost much and ebay is great for getting parts.

3. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

I love these threads, we should be paid commission. ;)

Flimsier's situation is different to wintermute's so here's my suggestion.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WW...&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1

Scroll down to the '95 Honda Civic 1.5 at JR Car Sales, it's a short distance from you round the A406 and there's a Civic for £1695 with only 45k on the clock with full service history.. Should suit you down to the ground and be reliable for a good few years.

Don't bother buying a new Focus as you'll lose a fortune, this little Honda will be great for you, especially as you're new to driving, it'll also be decent enough for long distances as well as being fairly economical round town.

:)

4. kins

kins chilly willy woo

I think you should buy a second hand car that is 2002/2003. This way, it will still be pretty darn cool and newish, but you don't have to pay any of that on the road tax malarky (spelt?!?) and it won't be too expensive :)

I think unless money is not an issue, its second hand all the way. good luck my friend

5. Griff

Errrr. no Road Tax on cars built before 1974 I think you'll find.

6. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

Very sound advice

7. ICB

ICB now then

Agree with Griff, although I'd probably look at something slightly newer, 97-98, albeit with a higher mileage. Mileage is pretty much irrelevant if the car has a FSH and runs nicely whereas most stuff just generally wears out with age. Look at a Honda Accord or Nissan Primera if you want a family size saloon for the extra space, or safety as Poi E mentioned.

Here's a massive list of Hondas for under £2k in London.

8. Griff

A lot of those are 1.6 and upwards though, so the insurance could be a fair whack higher than say a 1.5 Civic, especially as he's just passed his test.

9. R.I.C.O.

R.I.C.O. Banned by request Banned

[​IMG]

Get a Ford Capri! :D

10. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Sorry the grand to Ford Focus thing meant that if it's worthwhile, we'll spend whatever money is necessary, but obviously prefer cheaper. I think we're anticipating something like £4/5K if second hand, but I'll run Griff's suggestion past Mrs flim.

And if there are enough suggestions, I'll do a poll.

11. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Griff, why not the one below the one you're suggesting? Out of interest?

12. Griff

Well that does change things, as the choice is far more, but as I mentioned earlier, if you're new to driving don't spend so much, because (touchwood you don't) if you make a fuck up (as you're new to driving) and you damage your car, you can spend all that dosh on a car but according to insurance companies it doesn't necessarily mean it's 'worth' that amount. Agreed valuations only cover classic cars.

Get some driving confidence in a good little car like the Civic mentioned then take it from there. I mean 45k and full history in summat as reliable as that and your laughing for 1600 notes. :)

13. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Cool. I've written to the missus!

Thanks! :)

Any other suggestions welcome!

14. Griff

Full service history, airbag and sunroof swing it for me, plus the one below is a 1.4. :)

Also the words P/X to clear are sort of off-putting to me.

15. kins

kins chilly willy woo

what are you on about? im saying buy a car that was made in 2002/2003...

16. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

She wants a 5 door. :(

I'm not sure why.

17. Chester Copperpot

Chester Copperpot Triple stones

What budget are we talking?

18. Griff

So you're not talking about Road Tax?

19. Phototropic

Phototropic Well-Known Member

I voted second hand. You loose far too much value with a new car and it seems pointless getting one.

20. Griff

Well there are plenty around, you just have to have a look through the Exchange & Mart or Autotrader and basically see what you want to spend, the right engine spec, lowest mileage, good service history, extras, warranty, (colour for the missus) etc.

But all in all, I'd say go for a Honda Civic. :)

21. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Actually, she didn't really have a reason.

I like Griff's suggestion. She phoned and she's coming round already...

It's not worth buying second hand privately, is it?

(I know very very little about cars!)

22. kins

kins chilly willy woo

I'm talking about the tax you have to pay to actually get a brand new car on the raod. It means as soon as its on the road it's lost huge value. (im not an expert on this so don't nitpick - but I now it's something like that)

23. Griff

Buying privately can be OK, especially if you're buying a well looked after Civic from an old boy in Eastbourne or summat. :D

It seems that place does have a fair few Hondas, and warranties are available to give you that bit more peace of mind if you wanted.

They also have a '97 metalic red 1.4 5 door Civic for £1995.

Pop along and have a look. :)

24. ICB

ICB now then

I assumed insurance on the Mrs' 3 years NCB and flims as a named driver til he's been at it a few years. I've just never had small cars so perhaps I'm a bit prejudiced.

Flims - when going to check a car out:

feel the engine to check it hasn't been warmed up before you get there to make it sound better then have it started and listen for rattles and grumbles

check for smoke at back, clear is OK (vapour) blue or black is dodgy

have a good look around all body panels for rust, matching paint and consistent gap sizes

check all electrics: lights, mirrors, etc.

look through the paperwork carefully, especially check for service stamps & mileages in service record book and accuracy of V5 DVLA log document

Pretty much every make and model of car will have a UK owners club with a website and forum, very useful places for all sorts of information and help.

:)

25. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Now that's really useful.

You lot are brill! :)

26. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

If it's an auto, start the car and move the auto quickly from forward to reverse and back again (brake on!). There should be no clunking sounds. Also, take the car somewhere safe and floor the pedal, in both forward and reverse. There should be little delay in the transmission "biting".

27. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Hearts Cov

YOu dont work for Honda do you Griff? :)

28. Griff

Not at all, but for flimsier a wee Civic seems ideal.

If he was after a sports car, I'd be shouting 911 at him constantly. :D

29. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Hearts Cov

i'd agree with the build quality of a honda and its longevity and all that at a reasonable price. if you could stretch to a bit more you can get fairly new skoda fabia pretty cheaply and if you get the diseal version bobs your uncle.

30. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

buy some high quality, warm cycling gear

let the train take the strain

Bus or taxi (taxis are public transport too)

Insurance no longer required

bike shops do cheap servicing

Take one grand and go on a nice holiday :D