*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

The Brave Athlete - Calm the Fuck Down and Rise to the Occasion - Simon Marshall/ Lesley Peterson.

up to Chapter 9 - so far so good. This book is helping me cope with stupid internal (and peer) pressures immensely.

2. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Bought Memento Mori by Muriel Spark this week, after being amused by AL Kennedy's remarks about it on the Muriel Spark prog on iplayer. The fella's away gigging all weekend so am gonna get right stuck into it :cool:

3. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel

A true life tale of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years for no discernible reason. During this time the only word he said was Hi on the single occasion when he bumped into a hiker.

A short but interesting read.

4. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Just started 'Ruth And Martin's Album Club' where people are given a record of some repute that they've never heard and have to review it. JK Rowling on The Violent Femmes, Ian Rankin on Madonna's first album, that kind of thing. I bought it because it contains Tim Farron on 'Straight Outta Compton' which is one of the best accidental Partridge things I've seen in ages. ''Much as I admire Eazy E, Dr Dre and Ice Cube the Liberal Democrats take a rather different approach to them on law and order ...'' :D Very good so far.

sojourner and krtek a houby like this.
  5. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Nutshell by Ian McEwan. Only a few chapters in but liking it so far. It's making me laugh

6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. As usual, I am scratching my head over all the new characters and trying to remember who was who from previous instalments. Luckily, also as usual, Erikson's writing is so engrossing that I'm being swept along by it all.

7. panpete

panpete Blokes name, birds body.

Joseph Campbell, wish I had known who he was when I was a teen.

8. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Not much dialogue, then?

9. sojourner

This is excellent. Like much of her writing, it is dense as fuck, so I am taking my time to savour it and reading one chapter at a time

10. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

The Kenneth Williams Diaries.

Interesting to note he lived with the extremes of emotion, he either loves something or hates it.
    He talks of suicide from his early 20s too. It's something that shadowed him his whole life until he finally went through with it

11. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Riding the Iron Rooster by Louis Theroux's dad. Aka Paul Theroux. Might be 30 years out of date, but I doubt it's 30 years out of date to almost everyone here.

Nothing wrong with a travel book about riding a train around China with multiple references to the Cultural revolution.

Orang Utan likes this.
  12. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Stewart Lee on Ziggy Stardust infuriated me :mad:
    He didn't like it, but then not liking stuff is kind of his thing I suppose (unless it's that fucking guitarist who plays tuneless drivel who's name escapes me)

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Fear and Loathing on the campaing trail '72. Never got round to this one and it was a mere pound in the charity shop so why not.

sojourner likes this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

15. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I am reading The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett 1929. At the very beginning I wondered whether I would like it but the more I read the more I like, 2/3 in now.

PippinTook and ringo like this.
  16. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Lisa Mckenzie - Getting By

Bit late, but finally, and its excellent.

17. sojourner

Muriel Spark - Curriculum Vitae

It's her autobiog, up to a certain point, and is absolutely fascinating. Her work with the Foreign Office and as editor of the Poetry Society is illuminating, and I just love her economy with words.

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  18. Voley

This. And it's fucking ace.

[​IMG]

Orang Utan likes this.
  19. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I tried to fucking order that but the bollocking bloody library hasn't sodding got it

BoatieBird, sojourner and Voley like this.
  20. Voley

My fucker had it. :cool:

marty21 and sojourner like this.
  21. gave in: heart of darkness.

A tedious, orientalist, anti-black dirge that tries to dazzle you with metaphors and long winding descriptions whilst decentring the real actors and reducing them to primitives. I feel no compassion for marlow and I doubt i will for kurtz either.

100% recommend people read Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih instead. a book that really should have attained classic status by now in the english world.

22. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

The Leveller Revolution: Radical Political Organisation in England 1640-1650 by Jon Rees

been meaning to read a book on the levellers for ages.

Voley I got that swearing book as well and read the roman chapter last night. Dead useful, I've known for ages that roman attitudes to sex were way way different to ours but I've never had explained through the medium of naughty epigrams

marty21, Voley and sojourner like this.
  23. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Urghhh Heart of Darkness still makes me shudder from my uni days.

sojourner likes this.
  24. sojourner

Yeh, I wasn't keen on HoD meself!

I NEED that fucking book about bastard swearing though!

25. Orang Utan

I loved Heart Of Darkness, but I was very young then (well, 21, so practically a child, and studying it in the first year at university).
    I remember it being anti-racist and sort of anti-imperial, but I also remember studying Orientalism and Said pointing out that while Conrad does decry treating people different according to the colour of their skin, he never attempts to humanise the people of colour he writes about. They are all just sticks and angles, to recall (perhaps inaccurately) one scene in the books

26. Orang Utan

Oh man, what happened to me? When I was young I thought nothing of wolfing down huge densely-written tomes. I even liked Middlemarch. Find it really tricky now! I wish Infinite Jest had come out when I was a youth. I would have ploughed through it in no time

27. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

East of Eden - John Steinbeck- haven't read any Steinbeck in years but they had a load of his novels on kindle for 99p so I bought a few:thumbs: really enjoying it , he is a beautiful writer.

Voley, blossie33, weltweit and 3 others like this.
  28. veldin

veldin New Member

Memoirs of a Geisha. I watched the movie but I have to say, the book is infinitely much better!

Hellsbells likes this.
  29. sojourner

Bit obsessed with Muriel Spark at the mo - SUCH a clever writer without being a smart arse.

Almost finished Loitering With Intent.

30. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I read that last year, liked it a lot, very well written I thought.