1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

The Brave Athlete - Calm the Fuck Down and Rise to the Occasion - Simon Marshall/ Lesley Peterson.

up to Chapter 9 - so far so good. This book is helping me cope with stupid internal (and peer) pressures immensely.

2. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Bought Memento Mori by Muriel Spark this week, after being amused by AL Kennedy's remarks about it on the Muriel Spark prog on iplayer. The fella's away gigging all weekend so am gonna get right stuck into it :cool:

3. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel

A true life tale of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years for no discernible reason. During this time the only word he said was Hi on the single occasion when he bumped into a hiker.

A short but interesting read.

sojourner and krtek a houby like this.
  4. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Just started 'Ruth And Martin's Album Club' where people are given a record of some repute that they've never heard and have to review it. JK Rowling on The Violent Femmes, Ian Rankin on Madonna's first album, that kind of thing. I bought it because it contains Tim Farron on 'Straight Outta Compton' which is one of the best accidental Partridge things I've seen in ages. ''Much as I admire Eazy E, Dr Dre and Ice Cube the Liberal Democrats take a rather different approach to them on law and order ...'' :D Very good so far.

sojourner and krtek a houby like this.
  5. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Nutshell by Ian McEwan. Only a few chapters in but liking it so far. It's making me laugh

6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The Machine Stops

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. As usual, I am scratching my head over all the new characters and trying to remember who was who from previous instalments. Luckily, also as usual, Erikson's writing is so engrossing that I'm being swept along by it all.

7. panpete

panpete Blokes name, birds body.

Joseph Campbell, wish I had known who he was when I was a teen.

8. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The Machine Stops

Not much dialogue, then?

9. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

This is excellent. Like much of her writing, it is dense as fuck, so I am taking my time to savour it and reading one chapter at a time

10. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

The Kenneth Williams Diaries.

Interesting to note he lived with the extremes of emotion, he either loves something or hates it.
    He talks of suicide from his early 20s too. It's something that shadowed him his whole life until he finally went through with it

11. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Riding the Iron Rooster by Louis Theroux's dad. Aka Paul Theroux. Might be 30 years out of date, but I doubt it's 30 years out of date to almost everyone here.

Nothing wrong with a travel book about riding a train around China with multiple references to the Cultural revolution.

Orang Utan likes this.
  12. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Stewart Lee on Ziggy Stardust infuriated me :mad:
    He didn't like it, but then not liking stuff is kind of his thing I suppose (unless it's that fucking guitarist who plays tuneless drivel who's name escapes me)

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Fear and Loathing on the campaing trail '72. Never got round to this one and it was a mere pound in the charity shop so why not.

sojourner likes this.