*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jun 13, 2008.

1. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

I really enjoyed the McEwan book. Don't know why, but I wasn't expecting to

Now on Dangerous Parking by Stuart Browne

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan knows how to use the three shells

^^^^
    very sad book that

3. sojourner

What, the Browne one?

4. Orang Utan

5. sojourner

Sorry - brain's still foggy

Well it's started off promisingly, but already sadly cos it says right at the beginning that Stuart Browne is dead

6. Orang Utan

A film of it has just come out I think

7. sojourner

Yeh, I just had a quick nosey at that. Fucking Peter Howitt, that streak of piss that used to be in Bread, directed it!

8. october_lost

october_lost It's not hip any more...

A peoples history of England by AL Morton, been meaning to read it for awhile.

9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

Borrowed Satanic Verses to see what all the fuss is about. Not started it yet.

10. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

Let me know what you think of this, its something I've returned to a number of times.

I'm just finishing 'The Islamic Movement - Dynamics of Values, Power and Change' - Sayyid Abul A'La Mawdudi

:)

11. miss_b

miss_b Singular thingular

Just finished 'Gang Leader For A Day' by Sudhir Venkatesh

About to start 'The Kite Runner'

12. sojourner

Finished this last night. Interesting book, but I can't find hardly anything out about Stuart Browne. I suspect it may be partly autobiographical (and a Guardian review mentions this briefly), as he died before the book was published, but the book doesn't say why, and I can't find it online.

Anyone know owt?

13. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

"Illium" by Dan Simmons - really enjoying it, he is a very engaging writer

14. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Am reading Genderqueer, a collection of essays and stories - it's very interesting and thought-provoking.

15. obanite

obanite Kroketten

Feersum Endjinn is really, really hard going.

16. obanite

obanite Kroketten

I thought his Commonwealth series was the best he's written by quite a bit.

Just started Dreaming Void by him, not really pulling me in like Pandora Star, yet :(

17. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

isn't it?, but very inventive.
    I just had to read the Wikipedia entry to get a better idea of what it was about (I read it difficultly when it came out).

18. ChrisC

ChrisC Well-Known Member

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, gripping stuff so far.

19. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

Stuart: A life backwards (Alexander Masters)

Been meaning to read this for ages (since I watched the dramatization), finally got around to buying it. Started 2 days ago and, yes, it's a page turner. Even though I know the end, it's well written, full of humour and insights, so knowing the end isn't spoiling it one bit.

20. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I want to read, I just can't get my mind in gear. I've got a couple of books to review for the Waterstone's mag, so that forces me to read (not that I have to if I don't want too – I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the books reviewed in there haven't been read first).

I went to see her speak about it in Manchester a few weeks back – very good stuff, I'd like to read it eventually.

He may be why I'm finding it hard to read. My dissertation was on him (on the notion of the 'Austerian' and why traditional literary studies cannot adequately define it but an interdisciplinary approach, utilising Bourdieu, can). Yeah, so I had every single book he'd every written open at various points scattered across my desk :p

I've only read East of Eden and the Night's Dawn Trilogy, but I liked them a lot. Mr Paw has read all the others, and rates them. He's just read the most recent one – reckons it's a good 'un.

21. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

I enjoyed Night's Dawn and some of his other books, but I find him quite one-dimensional and formulaic now. I finished Pandora's star but gave up half-way through the second one (and read No Country for Old Men - quite a different style :)

22. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

He writes space opera of the old school. Wildly inventive he isn't but he tells a cracking yarn. In some ways he reminds me of Robert Silverburg, in that the writing feels very masculine.

23. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

Finished this. Might be my favourite Sciascia so far. Brilliant.

24. Lea

Lea Sur un seul mot de toi...

Lady of Conquest by Teresa Medeiros. Historical romance set in medeival times.

25. Fictionist

Nothing at the moment, I've run out of ideas as to where to go next.

:(

26. sojourner

Excellent book that - one of those books I think everyone should read

27. miss_b

miss_b Singular thingular

Just finished the incredibly tragic Kite Runner and am a third of the way through Julian Barnes' 'Arthur and George'. Thoroughly loved/loving both.

28. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

Instance of the Fingerpost. Honestly methinks you will like

29. Fictionist

Have read that - quite enjoyable it was too. Any other ideas DC?

:)

30. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

'Madame Bovary' by Gustave Flaubert - really tremendous writing, incredibly evocative and powerful in places.