*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jun 13, 2008.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. foo

foo dirtysweet

Titus Alone. once again.

i need that fix.

oooh, i'm the first to post. :)

3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Just finished Porterhouse Blue by tom sharpe.

Going to charity shops tomorrow for more readings

4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Just started Incandescence, the new Greg Egan book

5. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

Dhalgren, Samuel Delaney. (sp?)
    People go on and on why this is such a 'classic', but I fail to see why myself... Perhaps it's because I don't like his writing style, but anyway I just find it slow and incredibly dull- Will give it a second chance tomorrow, though...

6. miss_b

miss_b Singular thingular

Bob Torres' 'Making A Killing : The Political Economy Of Animal Rights'. It's very good, and leading me to search out social anarchism books :)

7. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

^ and in total contrast - The Sound of Laughter - Peter Kay's autobiog. Very funny in parts, have been loling :D

8. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

War on the Middle Class

still.

Anna Jaden likes this.
  9. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

That's some quality sadness right there (the book, I mean, not your choice of it...shut up May).

I'm reading Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami. Sacked off The God Of Small Things in the week, on account of it still being total crap.

awesomeChloe likes this.
  10. DotCommunist

*feels smug for having persevered*

But I have to admit if it hadn't been a 'have to read' for the course, I'd have sacked it n all

11. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

Still stuck with Virgil, no huge improvement after Book six. Something to read once and probably return to only if I have to.

:(

12. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Nearly finished Micro Trends by Mark Penn (he's a pollster and former campaign strategist for Bill Clinton, notably coining the phrase 'Soccer Mom' as a type of voter). Pretty decent book, lots of food for thought for anyone interested in trends, demographics or how political issues develop and change societies...

13. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Still on with "The Reapers" at the moment. Not John Connolly at his best but still better than a lot.

Went to the library yesterday and have Dan Simmons "Illium", David Peace's "Tokyo Year Zero" and Frank Tallis' "Vienna Blood" to keep me going :D

14. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

I've started 'To Be A European Muslim' by Tariq Ramadan, and thus far it has proven to be quite readable and enjoyable. He does manage to cover a lot of material without getting fixated with unnecessary details.

Geoffrey Kerr likes this.
  15. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I'm reading 'Rebel Hearts - Journey's within the IRA's soul' by Kevin Toolis. Only on chapter two though, which covers his childhood so I can't tell how it's going to go.

16. The Dissertation by R.M.Koster

17. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Slash's autobiography. Amazing so far, and he hasn't even started in GnR yet.

Still haven't seen a redeeming quality, unless I missed one, either. :cool:

18. october_lost

october_lost It's not hip any more...

I liked this, I thought his take on PETA and the failings of the AR movement were spot on, but I prefer 'Beast of Burden'.

Just finished Kropotkins - Mutual Aid, having had it on hold for ages.

Now back into the final stages of the amazing Perdido Street Station by China Mieville....

19. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

I was reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky, but have left it for a while because I got exams, only 5 days now and I can pick it up again!

20. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Blue Diary - Alice Hoffman. Interesting so far, hopefully going to develop into something much more thought-provoking...has the potential

21. DotCommunist

A corker I found in the charity shop: a 1961 published little hardback of 20th century essayists. Huxely/Chestertone/Orwell and a few otrhers. So far have enjoyed Chestertones little essay on cheese.

22. tom_craggs

tom_craggs Well-Known Member

The Subterranean Railway - Christian Wolmar: Thought whilst in London I should read something that gives me a bit more of an understanding and connection with this place. So far pretty fascinating stuff.

23. ChrisC

ChrisC Well-Known Member

Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

24. Nikkormat

Nikkormat Well-Known Member

Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I've been trying to wade through it, on and off, for a year now.

25. avu9lives

avu9lives famous five member

Gordon Ramsey

Humble pie

Not a bad autobiography :hmm:

26. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

Absorbed by Isacc Asimov' Foundation series at the moment, currently on the third saga "Second Foundation"

27. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I've been having a real hard time unwinding enough to read for much more than half an hour at a time since I finished uni. I've been plugging away at the same 3 books for a month now.

I think I might start one of the Brautigans I haven't read yet – they are nice and slim and easy to get through, and hopefully will kickstart my reading brain back into action. I've got loads I want to read over the summer, plus lots I want to read in prep for the Masters.

28. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

Finished The Moro Affair and The Mystery of Majorana by Leonardo Sciascia.

Both are investigations of real-life disappearances -- the first the kidnap and assassination of Christian Democrat grandee Aldo Moro by the Brigate Rosse in 1978, the second the disappearance of a top Italian physicist in 1938. Both look closely at how language and documentation about political events simultaneously (look to) obscure the truth and can't help revealing it. Both are brilliant and impeccable because they're written by this author.

29. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Francis Wheen - Karl Marx

30. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

Beneath the Bleeding - Val Mcdermit

Anna Jaden likes this.