What are you playing at the moment?

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Epona, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Ha, let us know what it's like. Is it local multiplayer ?

2. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I honestly have no idea, I knew there was some sort of multiplayer on the way so just checked the beta box and downloaded it earlier - will definitely report back though. I mean the single player game as it stands is one of my favourite ways to waste time anyway, not sure how multiplayer will work yet.

tommers likes this.
  3. Epona

Seriously, the first half hour of multiplayer co-op Stardew Valley with my husband of 12 years was probably the closest I've ever come to possible divorce.

Then we negotiated a division of labour, and it's currently running smoothly. I like the farming side so I mostly do that, he likes going down the mines so he mostly does that - we both contribute resources, and swap roles occasionally for getting achievements and the like.

If he tries to romance Abigail he's going to be in deep deep shit though :/

S☼I and blairsh like this.
  4. Epona

OK so the way it works is - one person owns the farm, they can start a game with cabins on their farm that they invite people to move into - can be done by Steam friends list or LAN or IP address.

Existing farmers can also have Robin build cabins on their farm (I think up to 3) so that they can invite people to live on the farm and play with them.

The person who hosts "owns" the farm (and thus makes the decision about which pet you get etc), but everyone invited to play with them has kind of equal reign over the plot, and can do their own thing pretty much - it is very much a co-op game therefore, since you need to decide who has responsibility for what, or a rota for the boring tasks :D But playing with someone else makes everything seem a bit less rushed - one of you can be tending crops first thing in the morning while the other goes foraging on the beach, it's good and feels natural - especially sitting at the same desk and agreeing that today is my foraging and shopping day while he waters crops - really good fun and less pressure wrt crop tending than single player, cos you can take turns. Bank and all items are also shared, so it is fully co-op - better with friends than trusting strangers to be fair about your stash of iridium!

You do need to be synchronised about sleep times as unlike single player there is no pause on the timer when you open the menu now - the game still saves as always when you wake in the morning. If one of you goes to sleep and the other doesn't, the one in bed will regen energy fairly quickly - so it's not too bad, you can get back up in a couple of minutes with a fairly full energy bar and go harvest some crops or plant stuff or do some crafting or fish or decorate - whatever you fancy really - the day ends when you are both in bed and hit the button to sleep.

Quests and achievements and skills are all separate.

There is a wedding ring plan in game, that allows you to marry another farmer - I didn't get to test it yet because I bought the plan but it didn't show up in crafting once I had exited and restarted the game (I noted from before it disappeared that it required 5 iridium bars and a prismatic core thing - so not easy to craft).

But yeah it's a lot of fun so far, just make sure your husband doesn't nick your tv out of your cabin and hide it in a deliberate attempt to piss you off *furious*:D

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    tommers likes this.
  5. Epona

Well Nate has fucked off to bed now, and I have no-one to play Stardew Valley with.

It's good. It's very good.

tommers likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Uncharted 4 - bit bored with it really - it's just loads of climbing and not enough shooting and blowing things up.

7. Orang Utan

And now I'm onto Horizon Zero Dawn - it's rather lovely looking and I like the imagining of a distant post apocalyptic future - they've clearly done their homework. Might be too much story for me, but I'm keeping on with it for the time being

8. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Back on Everquest :)

9. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I'm making paperclips.

I'm currently the sole manufacturer of paperclips on the planet:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  10. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

I am getting much joy from Enter the Gungeon, which I picked up in the thingumy Steam sale.

It has hallmarks of the Binding of Isaac. And is very enjoyable indeed.

tommers likes this.
  11. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I've spent many hours on that site making paperclips.

NoXion likes this.
  12. Epona

Still loving Stardew Valley multiplayer (and the fact that Nate now has a job where he gets 3-4 days off a week, 3x 12 hour shifts and he's done, a 4th is overtime so good money coming in) - but we have had a few days to play over the last couple of weeks and Stardew multiplayer is really good!

I did just get into a stupid argument with someone on the Stardew Valley steam discussion group though along the lines of someone saying that older female gamers didn't exist because there weren't any on Twitch... :hmm: (Yeah that's because we're busy playing games instead of watching gamers metaphorically stroke their own dicks over their game performance - I was adult BEFORE it became necessary to have an internet channel to validate my existence)

13. Epona

I actually need to stop posting on the Steam Stardew Valley discussion page now, I have riled people. I think I have riled people for good reasons (apparently no older females play video games, even though I said I did that is insufficient evidence), and now I am upsetting people because I disagree with the removal of stamina restore waiting in bed rather than sleeping in single player beta:

Yes the Stardew Valley fanbase can be just as shit and just as over-wrought about the game as any other game's fanbase :hmm:

tommers likes this.
  14. tommers

Resogun. Fucking addictive little shooter. As good as nex Machina?? Hmmm... maybe.

Such a shame they're not making shooters any more.

15. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Not playing it, but didn't feel like making a new thread - just wanted to say this looks pretty nice and relaxing:

16. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Straight for Servalan

Game Dev Tycoon

I got it a couple of years ago, but have only just installed and played it (I was browsing through my Humble Bundle library looking for anything resembling a management sim). I've shyed away from it before, as it's a pretty boring game to watch someone else play on YT (and this is 100% how I decide if I wanna buy/play something), but having finally got 'round to it, I think it's good but annoying. The interminable dialogue boxes - usually full of waffle - are insufferable. No reason 90% of their contents couldn't appear in an innocuous 'news ticker'. Would be nice if the game started in an earlier timeframe too ("Bury the unsold carts in the Arizona desert? Y/N..."), and maybe with a degree of randomosity to counteract our obvious hindsight: "The Vega Creammast has just lauched!" Yeah, think I'll stay away from that one...

17. Epona

Is anyone playing Hollow Knight? I'm not, but Nate is REALLY into it, when I ask him whether it is a good game he kind of shrugs and sighs and then goes back to playing it... :D

tommers likes this.
  18. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Nowt. Weather's been too nice recently for video games.

19. Orang Utan

just draw the curtains so you can see the screen

20. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Cities Skylines at the moment. I've just got a new laptop that can funally run it. :) Not got any of the DLC yet but will get that soon.

21. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

total war: Warhammer

I've only ever fiddled with tW games before but had a long crack at this last night, is good.

22. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Detroit become human, so well made!!

23. tommers

Caves of Qud - weird but very good roguelike.

Cultist Simulator - weird but every good card / story game.

24. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Got this for the PS4, as I don't often get a look in on the playstation I was very pleased to see it's also now cross buy, so I have it for the vita and it's very good on that.

25. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Battletech.

yield and tommers like this.
  26. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Still playing Detroit Become Human, but taking it very slowly as I want the game to last..
    Its so well made I'm speechless...
    Also investigating ESO Summerset just because its so pretty, but I may try doing some trials also.
    Here is a little video I made about my Magica Templar

27. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Straight for Servalan

Finally accepted it would never go on sale and so forked out for Rimworld. Two hours in and I had rage quit twice. The first time saw one of my colonists decide to spend day three torching the entire base, the other after my sniper guy crawled into bed on day two seemingly to die :mad:

Might have to boot up Stardew Valley - it's been substantially updated recently, and I miss my drunken depressed short-arsed husband, Shane :facepalm: :D

tommers likes this.
  28. tommers

Rimworld is good but everybody dies. Always. :D

29. Orang Utan

Feel like I'm being left behind by new developments in games - even RPGs seem to be pushing us to try online multiplayer games instead of single player campaigns. Are future games only going to be online, co-operative affairs? Are future gamers only interested in these types of experience?

30. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I do hope not. I've no interest in these world of warcraft/endless EVE/Fortnite/PUBG whatever.

got Sonic Generations on download because nostalgia

BristolEcho and Orang Utan like this.