1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you playing at the moment?

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Epona, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

i can't get with them at all - can't get on with all those Nintendo platform games like Paper Mario - they just look too shoddy and old-fashioned to me - i've been spoilt by photorealistic cgi

tommers likes this.
  2. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

What about something like this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. Orang Utan

Ugh, no. Aesthetically unappealing. As I said, I like photorealistic stuff.

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

80 year old graphics!

I’m really honestly miffed that it’s not going to be on the Switch (apparently) or on Macs.

tommers likes this.
  5. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

Would have been good on the switch. I like the look of it but something is making me not buy it. Not sure what.

6. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I have just started on MGS5. However, i have just finished Just Cause 3, and Far Cry 4. They are the flipping same, with slight differences. Its getting to be a problem.

7. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

The new wolfenstein , was playing new assassins creed but got bored so traded it in for wolf.

DLC for horizon zero dawn, ' the frozen wilds ' just more of the same which isnt bad at all, although being level 50 does seem to make the game much easier

8. ruffneck23

far cry 5 looks great though, i do agree with you 3 was amazing , played through it a few times, 4 was just too similar and never picked it up after completing it.

9. Orang Utan

can't wait for FC5 - you get to fight racists and religious bigots, which makes a change from killing poor people in the developing world

magneze and ruffneck23 like this.
  10. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Trying out Mordor: Shadow of War.

More of the same, but much like the Batman series this isn't the worst thing in the world. It could stand to all be a bit tighter, but still good fun to be had running about and murdering orcs. They seem to have improved their uncanny resurrection powers from the last one though. I keep chopping dudes in half, and they keep coming back for more. The starting point of the story is a bit ludicrous (oh yeah, let me voluntarily give you this Ring of Power to let a mostly-dead shadow of a wraith free), but it goes well from there.

Wolfie was good, but it lacked something from the previous one. Can't put my finger on what it is, though. Probably the "Ho-hum, I've already murdered all these things before"-ness of it. Venus nowhere near as fun/silly as the Moon.

fishfinger likes this.
  11. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

I agree with you about Wolfenstein not being as good as the previous one. Did you play the in-game version of Wolfstone?

ruffneck23 likes this.
  12. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Just the first level. Seems fairly faithful, not including the bitmaps. Since I've played it before a dozen times, I left it.

fishfinger likes this.
  13. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Some pals of mine who are heavily into gaming are constantly complaining about loot crates - devs making you grind the shit out of it to get the next level or upgrade, unless you buy the expensive loot crate and get it instantly. The new N4S supposed to be a bad culprit.

14. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Pay money to play less of the game?
    Penny Arcade - Comic - A Double-Edged Khopesh

I've heard the new N4S is particularly in thrall to the Dark Lord in that way, but that's more because it's a crap game. Most of them can be ignored entirely (Mordor's like that).

15. ruffneck23

I agree with this too, I am enjoying it,but..... I dont know , the levels feel really short.

16. ruffneck23

mate I havent got that far yet :mad:

17. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It's hardly a spoiler that a place exists as a level in the game. Never mind that pretty much every single review mentions it.

There are some highlights there, but it's not the interesting gameplay mechanic they introduce unfortunately.

18. ruffneck23

It's ok I'm not that precious although I haven't seen it in any reviews I've read

19. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

Bought Darkest Dungeons + DLC from Steam today.

Greatly enjoyed it on iOS. Tbh, I suspect it was a bit daft re-buying it for steam but, ay... £17 to support a decent dev feels ok. (Does it? I'm skint. Perhaps this wasn't sensible. Will I ever play it on my lappy? Hmm, probably not. Yeah. Maybe not a sensible decision. But still.)

ruffneck23 likes this.
  20. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I'm sure there are plenty of games to choose from which don't involve shooting things and taking over bases. I've just started MGS5 (coz I got it free with ps+). It's good fun so far.

D'wards likes this.
  21. ruffneck23

Which means you'll be shooting things and taking over bases re msg5 :)

NoXion and D'wards like this.
  22. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Well, yeah, but I find the games sufficiently different and all probably more fun than Farming Simulator.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  23. COD WW2. there isn't much to it. far too mawkish much video rather than gameplay. more shit.

24. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Finished Wolfenstein 2. It was OK.

I've just started Prey. Not what I'd expected having read nearly nothing about it, which for some reason was a fairly dumb shooter. It's not and it's much more enjoyable for it.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  25. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I enjoyed Prey more than Wolfie. But the difficulty curve is really messed up, and it's definitely one of those games where you can't just grab whatever skills seem like a lark at the time and expect to survive. Anything that ups your damage output is crucial. Though I admit that I consider it more "fun" to be creeping along in the darkness more because I'm scared to die than because it's easier to kill everything that way.

Also, the Dishonored/Prey engine isn't nearly as efficient as the idTech one in Wolfie. Can't just crank the settings up to max and let it fly. :)

26. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

I've just figured out how to get WinVICE to load disk image files, so I'm just about to jump into playing the Commodore 64 version of Turrican.

BigTom and ruffneck23 like this.
  27. NoXion

OK, so I managed to get Turrican 2 running, but the keyboard doesn't seem to be working? Fuck. Trying Commando instead, it's only one image.

No, my joystick settings don't seem to be working.

I find it best to treat this sort of thing as kind of like an annoying prelude of the game itself. It makes me appreciate how easy it is these days, relatively speaking.

28. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

The Sims 4 brought out its Cats & Dogs expansion and I'm a bit fucking obsessed.

Look at this little shitbird.

[​IMG]

moon and NoXion like this.
  29. NoXion

Right, so after an inquiry on an emulation forum, it turns out that I was using the wrong joystick in the emulator - I should have been using Joystick #2, not Joystick #1. Hooray for intuitive design! :facepalm:

ruffneck23 likes this.
  30. NoXion