1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best socks then?

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Badgers, May 9, 2009.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Hardwearing ones for walks, festivals and so on?

Some army ones here

Gortex ones here

SealSkinz???

I am shit with socks, generally buy cheap shit and my feet suffer a bit.
    Has anyone got a sock they swear by for wearing with boots, in rain or just ones that make feet happy?

:)

2. damnhippie

damnhippie shark sandwich

one thing about Sealskins is, they don't have much give & are apparently a bit painful after a while.

normal big wooly ones do the trick for me.

3. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Well-Known Member

Ski socks did me for Glastonbury.

4. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

My favourites so far for wearing with boots (if I'll be on my feet a lot) are hiking socks - the ones with a fairly high proportion of wool, but also with thicker bits where your feet need more padding. Even when my boots started letting water in, the socks still didn't cause any blisters or rubbed bits.

Not dirt cheap, but they dry far more quickly than thick pure wool socks (the old school alternative) and are just as comfortable and hardwearing.

5. Louloubelle

Louloubelle Well-Known Member

M&S do some really nice socks with silver in them

They're meant to prevent foot odour and as I do lots of sports I thought I'd try them. they are really, really comfy, not too thick, not too thin and I'm only buying them from now on. Apart from sealskinz for training outside in the rain.

They only do them in mens' sizes though, fine for me as I'm size 9

:)

6. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

worth noting that the goretex socks are meant to be worn over existing socks, i used them for courierenging for a few years and they are excellent if you're spending all day outside in low temperatures and wet conditions but a bit much otherwise though they were great at outdoor parties.

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Thanks for the posts, I need to get some soon but just seems all a bit confusing.
    Never reaslised goretex socks are meant to be worn over existing socks, that is good for colder times.
    I might need to get a small selection and see what works.

8. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

My mate reckons the best socks in the world come from Cordings of Piccadilly.

He lives in Sydney and really helped me out last year so I said I'd send him some.

Turns out they're for twatting hunting types and cavalry officers. Cost me £16 for a pair.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't wear them to a festival Badgers, what are you thinking? :D

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Got these from Fat Face the other week and they are now the best socks I own :)

10. feyr

feyr evil evil monkey!

my best socks are a pair of slouch socks from pineapple, although i tend to get them when they are cheap in tkmax. not too thick but designed to keep feet cushioned and cosy when being pounded in a dance class, so cope fine with festival boots

11. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Strumpet recommended me some Totes Toasties a bit back and they've turned out to be ace. They're probably more you're 'slobbing round the house' type sock mind. Which suits me, tbf.

These:

[​IMG]

Badgers and Vintage Paw like this.
  12. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

They look ace
    So much foot love there

13. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

The non-slip bits on the bottom actually work, too.

14. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

These
    http://www.hoggs.co.uk/prodcut_adventure_long_sock.html
    are my fave socks ever!! Not tried the rest of the Hoggs range but they're made for scottish hill/forestry/estate workers and famers, etc who aren't exactly easy on their clothing.

Btw those army surplus ones in the OP aren't army surplus. I got hubby some AS ones at the weekend for £1.50 a pair.

15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

16. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

£16.63! :oops:

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

vy fucking comfy :mad:

18. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

If you wear thin tight socks inside your big clumpy walking socks you get less (no) blisters

I use flight socks, they work a treat :)

19. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I haven't worn socks once in the last 5 months.

20. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Clean ones given the choice. Beyond that I don't really care.

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Favourite socks are to be worn today, fresh from the airing cupboard :)

22. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Goat socks or bamboo socks are the best I've yet found.

whoha likes this.
  23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Sock update:

Picked up four pairs of these babies from M&S last week. The packet said they deliver 'exceptional comfort' which I took to be a sales gimmick but must confess they are very good.

24. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

At the moment, these are my favourites:

[​IMG]

25. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I've got a pair of Totes. They must be at lest 10 years old :cool:

They're purple :D

26. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

My friend knitted me some socks, they're multi-coloured and super comfortable. I call them my festival socks for reasons even I am not sure of. I want to learn to knit socks then I will never buy another pair.

27. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

I am torn between my bamboo socks and my possum socks. Both are excellent.

28. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I swear by my sealskinz. They saw me thru the 3 peaks in horrendous weather conditions with no toasty dry feet and NO blisters.

If anyone had told me I'd spend that much money on a pair of socks I'd have said they were mad, but by god theywere worth every penny.

29. butcher

butcher boner at the ready

30. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Good sock options pouring in.
    I may treat myself to a pair of sealskinz, they look ideal for the festival trench foot :)