What’s the trick with these things?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by 5t3IIa, Feb 4, 2018.

1. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I butter mine before dropping the egg in and they work :thumbs::thumbs:

PippinTook likes this.
  2. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

No.

Vinegar, Swirling & Shallow-Saucepans is either a firm of lawyers or a few of the very old and Beechingised railway stations.

keybored, Puddy_Tat, kabbes and 2 others like this.
  3. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

They always look to me like they're multi coloured mooncups*

* I've never actually seen a mooncup :oops:

4. Sea Star

Sea Star Keep back! Devils!

that's how i make watery, poached, scrambled eggs which i then proceed to throw away, but i'm no expert either.

Celyn likes this.
  5. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

They're like buttercups, only very different. :D

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  6. Sea Star

Sea Star Keep back! Devils!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Best of all re Onsen eggs, which you cook at exctly 63C for 75 minutes, with the shells on. Then peel and eat. Amazing!

8. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I don't know why all the hate for those silicone things. They make lovely eggs.

clicker likes this.
  9. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Scrambled eggs are better than poached anyway,
    IMO

Celyn, Spymaster and PippinTook like this.
  10. Callie

Callie Pivoting

How boiling is the water? Get it up to a rolling boil then turn it right down as soon as the eggs are in. Old eggs also make stringy white.

11. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

That's the thing, isn't it? Boil eggs, fry eggs, make scrambled eggs, or make them into an omelette. All of those are easy. Poached eggs, though, just seem not worth the bother of learning the various ways of doing it.

If i wanted an egg for breakfast, I really would prefer one that can be simply cooked rather than a poached egg that might or might not work, depending on temperature, amount/type of vinegar, whether the sun is entering Capricorn, and whether the wind is in the west, and whether there is an "R" in the month.

12. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Scrambled eggs on toast without accompaniment or dippy eggs to go with bacon and sausage. Dippy means fried or poached and I will choose either depending on what I feel like that morning.

QueenOfGoths and PippinTook like this.
  13. kabbes

There's nothing at all wrong with a coddled egg. A coddled egg is not a poached egg, however. Which is fine.

I simply can't be arsed with the extra accessories that are needed for coddled eggs, is all.

Quite honestly, it never crosses my mind to worry that the poached egg won't work. I can't remember the last time it didn't work. It's the easiest of all the eggs to make: get some simmering water and crack an egg into it. Wait until toast is ready. Done.

PippinTook likes this.
  14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

My poached eggs always end up a jizzy mess, so I coddle them in a pan like the one on page 1

Sea Star likes this.
  15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I used to swear by the inch or two of water method on low heat, but for a few years now I've been doing the pan swirl and the results are much better.

Fill a small pan about halfway with water and bring to the boil. Using your wooden spoon, get a rapid swirl going...the faster the better. Crack your egg in and lower the heat. Put your toast on, and the eggs will be done by the time you're ready for them.

The vortex brings the eggs into the centre of the pan and wraps the white around the yolk, so you get a nice looking result. Similar to the cling film method, but without the impressions left on the white from the cling film's folds.

Sometimes I find the inch of water method leaves my eggs looking really unappealing, even though they taste fine. Appearances count!

16. kabbes

Better results than what? I already end up with a well-defined, neat egg not wholly unlike a boiled egg without its shell. I often do four in the same pan, so I have no desire to complicate it by making the water whizz around really fast.

I don't know what is happening for the rest of you, in all honesty, I really don't.

17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I think it takes a certain knack or dexterity to pull off that some of us unfortunately lack. :(

18. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Mrs D boils some water in a cup in the microwave. She then cracks an egg into it. Microwave on low, for about 30s. They work well.

19. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

I put a bit of vegetable oil on a bit of kitchen roll and wipe it round the cup things before cracking the eggs in. Then I squeeze the sides before tipping the cooked eggs out. Any white left wipes off.

moomoo, 5t3IIa and clicker like this.
  20. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Olly Murs is a cock

WTAF no it doesn't. Dippy is soft boiled, you eggy bellend :facepalm:

21. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Olly Murs is a cock

Try not wanking into the pan - you will probably get better results that way. The eggs don't need fertilising

22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

:facepalm:

23. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Ah, the confident serenity of the true master.

24. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

And it would remove an obvious Health and Safety risk of ending up with a burnt sausage.

25. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Mine look more like sad fried eggs than boiled when I do the inch of water method.

Orang Utan likes this.
  26. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

And experience tells me you do not want to burn your sausage.

Puddy_Tat, Fez909 and farmerbarleymow like this.
  27. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Gives a new meaning to this advert.

28. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I've given up poached eggs due to my mission to perfect fried eggs anyway.

29. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I have used the green silicone things. The label on them when new does say to oil them.

I find that the water just knocks them about and they get partly submerged, but then i realised that with poached eggs, being submerged is the point.

They turn out very easily (if pre oiled), and need barely any washing. The finished eggs look uniformly domed, and you dont end up with a pan of egg soup.

However, its more faff than frying, so i don’t do it often enough to have sorted out the timings for a soft middle.

30. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

I use these all the time having tried the traditional water/vinegar method, a pan with 4 poaching cups, cling film and the silicon cups work best for me for a variety of reasons. Key point is to spread a small blob of room temp butter (not oil!) inside the cup with the back of a teaspoon and then break the egg in, place carefully into pan with water just off the boil, put lid on pan and get water on a rolling boil for 4 minutes and voila - come out perfect every time!

If the butter is hard and difficult to spread I sometimes put it into the cup and float it in the hot water to soften, then break the egg in before cooking.

clicker and 5t3IIa like this.