What’s the trick with these things?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by 5t3IIa, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Silicone egg poaching doo-dahs?

[​IMG]

My eggs stuck and I had to use a butter knife to get the eggs out then needed two scrubbing implements to get the egg bits of egg white out.

I just put eggs in them then floated them in boiling water. What am I doing wrong? With my eggs?

ska invita likes this.
  2. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

You're not frying them, that's the trouble

3. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

I'm no expert on poached eggs but I thought you just put them in vinegary water you boil and as soon as you add them, turn the heat off and keep swirling around the water until they coalesce into poached eggs. Not sure what these plastic efforts are for.

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

They're shit. I've never managed to make mine work. Just fry them .In butter.

Badgers likes this.
  5. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

You might need to oil or butter the insides before you put the egg in.

6. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Might I? Is that the trick?

PippinTook likes this.
  7. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

You’re not alone Stella, I have the same problem with them.

Badgers, Pickman's model and 5t3IIa like this.
  8. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Fuck em off and just perfect the direct into water method. I try to follow Delia Smith's instructions and it mostly works

9. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Well, that's a bit boring. :( I thought the story was going to go on further. You know the sort of thing - when fiercely attacking the eggy bits with two scrubbing implements, you accidentally knocked down a glass vase and then, when trying to tidy up broken bits of glass, cut several fingers quite badly. Then, of course, go looking for elastoplast, which, for some reason, is on that high-up and very rickety shelf, and when it all falls down, you instinctively move backwards away from it all, but unfortunately you collide with another shelf, this one inhabited by flour and olive oil, except it isn't because all that falls down too and your floor is now a very slippery mess, and then the phone rings in another room and in your hurry to get to the phone you slip on the floor, fall down, break legs and arms, although your fall is somewhat cushioned by your much-loved (and now late) puppy ...

Oh, and the unattended gas ring on the cooker has encountered some flammable stuff from one of these shelf incidents and is getting to be quite good at making fire. A small fire, but it's growing.

(And that's why Paddy's not at work today)

10. PippinTook

I don't know.
    I have this and I oil/butter the insides...as the first time I used it the eggs stuck and were a devil to clean off.
    landscape-1484147659-egg-poachers.jpg

Spymaster and Badgers like this.
  11. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Just bring a deepish frying pan of water to a rolling boil, add tespoon of malt vinegar. Turn off the heat for a few seconds whilst you add the eggs (easier ifyou've cracked them into saucer, rather than doing it directly into the pan), then turn it back up. Leave them in there for two minutes, before carefully removing with a slotted spoon,salt them and serve. Perfect poached eggs, with no need for rubber cups or poaching pans!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  12. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Support Norwich football club?

13. PippinTook

Tried the poached egg bags from Aldi before. They were handy enough.
    The easiest way is to get some cling film and crack the egg into it. Then gather the edges together and twist them.
    Put your egg parcel into boiling water and you've a lovely poached egg in no time at all...minus oil or fat.

Eta...and no washing or scrubbing of a gadget.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    campanula likes this.
  14. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

They work ok for me. Did you put the lid on?

15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Ive got a mixrowave egg poaching thing...its a fine art because one day it comes out great (well, okay), and the next day it blows up and sends egg all over the microwave if youre not careful. the one i have is enclosed so thats less likely. Getting the water ratio down is important...also prick the yolk

Celyn and PippinTook like this.
  16. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

They aren’t poached eggs if they are cooked in a thingy. They are coddled eggs.

I just poach them directly in about an inch or two of very, very gently simmering water for the length of time it takes the toaster to do my toast. Crack them gently into the water and don’t touch it. You don’t need vinegar, you don’t need to swirl the water. At most, put a lid on it for thirty seconds at the start. As long as the egg isn’t quite old, it just works all by itself.

Epona, Magnus McGinty, Cloo and 4 others like this.
  17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Those things are best used for baby bonsais

Spymaster, angusmcfangus and Badgers like this.
  18. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

If I crack the egg directly into water the white goes everywhere and I just end up with a right mess.

Celyn likes this.
  19. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Me too - they're rubbish, consigned to the back of the cupboard.

Tankus likes this.
  20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Poached egg bags? I see that I am not up-to-date with the latest in egg-poaching technology. :D

This cling film plan, now. Do the eggs exit the cling film tidily, or do you end up trying to scrape egg from cling film? Also, quite a few years ago, there was a "cling film is unhealthy" worry. Is cling film ok when subjected to heat?

Come to think of it, daft of me to ask, given that you are still alive, PippinTook :)

PippinTook likes this.
  21. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

For poaching eggs directly in water (as opposed to coddling them) you need very very fresh eggs. You can try all the vinegar, swirling and shallow saucepans you like but if the eggs a week old it won't stay in one piece.

22. kabbes

Three minutes later, it's convalesced into a solid poached egg.

Unless you have the water boiling too much, have an old egg or have cracked it with too much force/too much height into the water, that is.

existentialist likes this.
  23. kabbes

Despite all the cautionary tales against it, I keep my eggs in the fridge. If you do that, it'll still poach nicely after three weeks.

24. 2hats

2hats

The egg you use is ill?

Another vote for direct into water. Couldn’t care less if the yolk and white separate - they end up back together on the plate and taste the same. Less fuss (and cost) than any daft poaching devices.

keybored, Celyn, Spymaster and 3 others like this.
  25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This is because the eggs are old and the white has broken down.

Use super fresh eggs and you can just break them in.

Alex

Lazy Llama and PippinTook like this.
  26. PippinTook

They come out fine.
    Plenty chefs use cling film in cooking/boiling.
    Most cling film is BPA free.
    Is Glad Wrap BPA Free? - The Healthy Foodie

Celyn likes this.
  27. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

No!!

QueenOfGoths and PippinTook like this.
  28. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

coalesced not convalesced. Must have been autocorrect, but I was imagining humpty with a blanket on his knees 'I've been a bit perky'

neonwilderness, Puddy_Tat and kabbes like this.
  29. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

:(

farmerbarleymow and S☼I like this.
  30. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

That's what you're doing wrong! I did that the first time too.

Only put enough water in so that the top of the eggs is slightly below the level of the water and the top of the poaching cup is slightly above. Pop the lid on, et voila!

5t3IIa likes this.