Weston-super-Mare v DHFC 27.04.2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Wasn't in the NLP and not mentioned on their Twitter account. Didn't see the turnout in the main stand as I was amongst it but I thought we had at least 350 possibly more.

A fantastic turnout on what was a dead rubber.

the 12th man and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  2. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

John Lawrence asked one of their officials on Sunday and it was 669

3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Will there be any video highlights? I assume it was too dangerous to use the camera gantry in the high winds and I didn't notice whether you were filming from elsewhere.

4. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

brilliant , cyclodunc !!!

5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Tom & Jamal were on the other side of the ground, in the stand.

Pink Panther likes this.
  6. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Pink Panther likes this.
  7. TonyWalt

TonyWalt Well-Known Member

I thought the Sham 69 song lyrics scanned very well!

8. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

I think we turned a meat and potatoes punk track into something wonderful

9. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Its beyond me how some clubs get away without announcing attendances officially. I thought it was a league requirement to inform them before the end of the 90 minutes. Must only apply to certain clubs!

10. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

thanks. Maybe one of mine might actually stick for once...

11. Dulwich Mishi

To be fair how do you know the League haven’t already picked up on this & they will be fined? At least they remembered to count the away fans...:D

12. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Have to say I think this is ridiculously harsh. The current crop of players have done a decent job of digging us out of a pretty bleak position.

I did a bit of totalling up. IMO, we turned a huge corner in the Concord game in February. Although we added/lost one or two players (Tajbakhsh, Hunte, Mascoll/Toure, Mavila) the spine of that side stayed the same. From then until the end of the season, we amassed 22 points out of 14 games, averaging 1.57 points per game. Over the course of a 42 game season that gives you 65.99999 points. So, for the sake of argument, let's say that's 66. 66 points was enough to sneak a play off space this season - we would've finished above Billericay.

Sure, we got annihilated by Torquay, I wasn't there but clearly Oxford wasn't pretty either, but we also beat a strong Welling side, destroyed Dartford, got a good point out of Billericay and beat a Wealdstone side that eventually made the play offs. It's not as if we had an easy run of games to contend with.

I don't want to open broadside on Gavin and put a sour note on what has been a successful season given everything that's been going on, but I'd say some of the very bad personnel decisions in the first half of the season was what landed us in the huge pile of shit that we found ourselves in in January.

There's already been a few rumours abounding about who is set to leave, but putting those aside, I think we have the basis of a strong team. It was certainly a side that seemed to gel the longer it played together. The idea of wholesale changes feels reckless to me.

Besides, is there any desperate rush to get out of this division? Apart from one or two clubs, I think it's been a nice division. Even the Billericay fans I spoke to were friendly. Interest and crowds are at an unprecedented high and both look like they'll carry on growing. It's not as if we need momentum on the pitch to sustain momentum off of it. I feel very, very wary of this push for the Conference Prem.

Ronco and pompeydunc like this.
  13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Didnt go Oxford.

#EveryoneButClunisEdwardsGreen

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  14. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

If things are going well you can rip a few seats out of the stand just before grading day to get us below 500.

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Only Gav wants to go up. Maybe he could deliver some FA cup excitement for once.

16. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I'd rather win the FA Cup than go up.

editor likes this.
  17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I’d prefer us to win the Vase.

bkbk likes this.
  18. Dulwich Mishi

Really? I’d take reaching the First Round Proper of the FA Cup though... in fact if we did that I’d even pretend to like you!

B.I.G likes this.
  19. Dulwich Mishi

You want us to suffer THREE relegations?!?

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Better than the National :)

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I like you shame you can’t find it in your heart to live and let live.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  22. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Pleasantly surprised by that 65 points average, and have to say I'd have agreed with the argument even without that stat. I'd like to see a lot more stability in the squad this summer, I think it breeds success. What was it, two changes in the summer before last?

That said I completely understand why there was more turnover this summer
    - promotion makes you think you need to make more changes,
    - you probably do need some changes (we've seen how this division plays differently, and experience of that is invaluable),
    - and we lost a fair few to factors out of our control.

If the post (I can't find it now, sorry to not credit whoever it was!) about agents telling players not to join us was even partially true, I can also see why there was high turnover of those who initially came in - they probably weren't what we wanted, more who we could get. It's no coincidence surely that the signings we've made since being back - and thus looking more secure as a financial option to players and agents - have had a greater success rate? We've got who we wanted. So I don't blame at all those making the decisions early on for them not working out where they didn't;t - clear case that options were limited.

So it strikes me that a high turnover could go both ways - yes it could, if everyone we bring in goes well, shoot us into the playoffs, but it's just as likely to send us the other way due to the instability. Again, I agree, we should walk before we can run in this division. Keep who we want to keep, add a few intelligently, maintain the squad feeling we've built up over the second half of the season and build on it with a good, settled pre-season, and see where we are in January. If we're in the top 6-8 then, and we have a cushion so we don't need to worry about changes causing instability causing us to drop down, by all means gamble a bit more with a few signings that mean you could try to push upwards. But do it once you have that cushion.

On a housekeeping point, feels like this discussion might belong in a separate 19/20 thread?

23. Dulwich Mishi

I find it a shame you spread crap on here about me & can’t bring it on yourself to apologise...the fact I’m not 100% health wise means I am currently going to ‘live & let live’...

24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Ok :) you tell me what I’ve said that’s incorrect and I’ll apologise. Maybe you have a thing or two to apologise for as well.

25. editor

editor Forked with electrons

[​IMG]

EDC likes this.
  26. Dulwich Mishi

Well if you don’t know oershaps you should refer back to comments about not travelling on coaches...

27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You think people don’t avoid the coach because of you? I apologise for saying it. Especially if you are fragile enough that it hurt your feelings.

Shame you don’t reflect on your own behaviour. And that’s nothing to do with what you say or do towards me. Unlike you, I couldn’t care less.

28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

If you want examples. Just ask :)

29. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

It cuts out it the unnecessary clapping.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    takkforalt, StephenMac, Nivag and 6 others like this.
  30. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Grading won’t be revisited for three years. Unless we get into a promotion or play-off position. In which case there are plenty of replacement seats and frames in... perhaps best not to reveal.