West Virginia teachers strike

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by flypanam, Mar 6, 2018.

1. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Is anyone following this? It seems a pretty impressive feat of class militancy, given that the teachers by passed the union channels and went out in a wildcat strike.

“It Was About the Insurance Fix”

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I have been. West Virginian workers seem to have always been shit on, and good luck to them. They're on peanuts, dealing with broken down schools and buying supplies. These bastards just keep dipping pockets. I've been following the janus vs thing as well, I hadn't realised american pub/sec have a fair dues system

NoXion and PippinTook like this.
  3. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Predominately women, btw. May also be happening in Oklahoma. Will find the link later.

4. flypanam

There is an interview with one of the strikers here, it mentions some kind of actions in other states

5. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Here's a piece from local station about OK teachers.

OEA President Stands Behind Teacher Plan To Strike - News9.com

Most public school funding comes from the state, but also local taxation and local people vote to decide on pay rises for schools in their district. There were three high schools in the county where I lived, with teachers pay different in each one.

It's notable that it's a female dominated profession in the public sector that's actually taking action.

And women staff get the shittiest end of the pay stick in the public sector.

Women earn 10% less than men in America's public sector, analysis shows

6. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

CRI likes this.
  7. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Didn't know quite where to put this. I decided to post it here because it points to the crappy educational system our teachers are dealing with:

A charity started in Philando Castile's name recently paid every unpaid lunch debt for the district he worked in:

Philando Castile charity wipes out school lunch debt in district where he worked - CNN

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    CRI and spring-peeper like this.
  8. flypanam

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018