West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

It's life insurers I am concealing my habits from.....

2. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I have noticed in shops in Peckham that loads of people actively avoid the self service machines* particularly if they are card only. This puzzled me for a while but it suggests they either dont have bank cards/accounts or budget so carefully they only use set amounts of cash for the week, month or whatever.

*As a side note this can be infuriating because people stand there like silent lemons so the group queue for the one manned till builds up whilst 5 self service machines are free.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

These pre-paid cards aren't much of a solution either

Prepaid Cards - the Facts about UK Prepaid Debit Cards - uSwitch

4. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I would imagine if you are undocumented here, you can't get a bank account.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  5. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I drink in the Horns and know a few people who regularly go to the Railway after the pub has closed. The three I have spoken to tonight are all a bit Wtf when I've let them know. Two are totally in the only deal cash business so won't be able to go any more.

editor likes this.
  6. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

Lol not saying a word...check your last sentence.

7. discobastard

discobastard edited

I've had an insurance client get me to research health insurance customers about linking bank accounts to their insurance policy. The premise is that lifestyle impacts wellbeing, though it was mainly couched in terms of financial stress and the ability for them to 'help' if somebody's financial situation changes significantly. I actually don't think they know what they would do with it yet.

It is similar to existing health insurance products whereby your insurance premium reduces if your are doing 'good' things like getting over 10,000 steps a day (Vitality do this whereby you get reward points for tracking data Fitness Tracker Offers | Activity Tracking | Vitality) They can't put your premium up if you don't do the activity though.

If insurance companies *did* look at your bank activity though, they would only get limited information at present, because while they could potentially decline payments to gambling and possibly pubs and off licence chains, they don't get itemised purchase data, only where you are buying. So if you wanted to put a block on your ability to buy alcohol or fast food, they could potentially do this by building up a database of bookies, off licences and fast food joints. Which they have in place for the major chains. But if you go into the Co-op and buy fags and booze they can't do anything about that because individual item data doesn't get transmitted when you do that. At present. It would be a huge undertaking to put that in place and so stuff like that is a long way off. And while they might be able to eventually do that with the larger chains like KFC and the Co-op - it would be a long way off before they would get that data from places like Costcutter in Tulse Hill. So it's not gonna happen anytime soon, they are not that organised.

I have no doubt they are cooking something up, but it's a long way off, and you'd have to opt in due to GDPR. Still, I really don't like it.

Nanker Phelge and Me76 like this.
  8. Smick

I have read that the new Lidl at Crown Point will be opening next Thursday, 19th September.

There's no doubt that it will be the same goods sold in the same way as the Lidl in Streatham or Norbury, but I am actually quite excited and may even go round on the day it opens, just to check it out.

9. discobastard

discobastard edited

About time :) Though still actually quicker for me to go to Aldi in Streatham!

10. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

discobastard likes this.
  11. Smick

Tulse Hill is in the middle of a Lidl triangle. Between Norbury, Streatham and Brixton. We will be moving to a Lidl square now.

I definitely prefer Aldi to Lidl, but I'm not sure if it is novelty or not.

I hate the big shops now. Tesco and Sainsburys. Having to traverse 28 aisles just to get your shopping instead of 3. And if I want a packet of digestives, for example, there are maybe six different brands, each with multiple pack sizes. I might have to size up the price per gram of 15 different packs of biscuits, never mind the special offers. Lidl: one, maybe two packs. And it's all cheaper in the German shops. Tesco in Streatham is a last resort for me.

BusLanes and sparkybird like this.
  12. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

So I was perusing Twitter the other day and by chance saw the Herne Hill Society and Helen Hates united in their opposition to BT's new Link WiFi and calling pedestals. Basically they seem to see them as hotspots (ha!) of anti social behaviour.

I must say I hadn't thought about that before. I just assumed they were an annoying, shelter free modern version of a phone box.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

I can't say I've seen much anti social activity around the ones in Brixton. Just people charging their phones.

14. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

It did seem like an over reaction - I wonder if they have any hard data on this

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Went past it en route to the Open House London Crystal Palace Underpass.
    The Lidl car park seems massive - and the store looks quite large for a Lidl.
    Full car park on Sunday morning seems to me hardly catering to zero emissions.
    Maybe the garish Fast Charger electric point is Lidl's get out of jail free card?

BusLanes likes this.
  16. Smick

Great, so I can charge my car there when I am shopping.

17. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

On the second anniversary:

Jude Gayle death: Family's new appeal to find man's killers

18. editor

editor hiraethified

The trendy craft beer place next to Pintadero has now closed for good.

19. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Can’t say I’m surprised. It was never busy and the prices for cans weren’t much cheaper than going for a pint over the road.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

I think they'd prematurely boozejaculated.

gaijingirl and colacubes like this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's a fascinating photo of the old station before it was rebuilt

2019-10-15_125341.jpg

Me76 likes this.