West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

The little shop by Costa has been pretty helpful in the past (albeit I haven't been with a borked phone) so maybe give them a go.

2. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

When I dropped my phone down the loo, I needed to leave in rice for over 48 hours before it would switch back on

3. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Ta, I'll try them

colacubes likes this.
  4. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Just done that :( Well, 36 hours, but no power.
    Did you try it before 48 hours? I could wait another day.

5. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Fame at last. West Norwood was one of a few places scrolling across the big screen during Stormzy’s 1st song at Glastonbury :cool:

6. discobastard

discobastard edited

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

FEAST line-up for this Sunday (I shall be spinning some summer tinged classics around midday at the Artisan's Fair)

[​IMG]

discobastard, Smick and colacubes like this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

I did a 90 min DJ set at Feast yesterday lunchtime and it was great fun.

Such a difference to the couple of outdoor sets I have played in Brixton Village, which really lacks any atmosphere or interaction.

At Feast people of all ages were smiling and waving or chatting to me while I played. A young girl just stood and watched the record spinning for a whole song. I could see her head wondering how this black plastic thing was making music, I was offered cups of tea. The lady on the cake stall liked my tunes and gave us a box of the most amazing lemon and pistachio cake.

A really nice experience for me. So glad to have been asked.

There are not many DJing opportunities to play whatever you fancy.

Yesterday was one of them. To play Elvis alongside The Slits, Special AKA (Racist Friend), Sugarhill Gang, Pama International, MFSB, Go Gos, FB3, Martha and the Muffins, Johnny Clarke, Tom Tom Club, Fats Domino, Georgie Fame,Zara McFarlane, Terry Callier, Johnny Cash, The Beat, The Selecter and more, is quite an exception to the rule.

I loved it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Oula, Eggby, clandestino and 6 others like this.
  9. Nanker Phelge

...and Lauren Hill, Julian Cope, Mr Bloe, Incredible Bongo Band, The Kinks, Big Audio Dynamite,Smiley Culture..

discobastard likes this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

At Brixton Village, a DJs primary function is not to be particularly listened to or danced to, but to provide a bit of 'coolness' to passing boozers and foodie grazers. It was nice to be asked but it's my idea of a nightmare gig.

The Feast sounds loads more fun and it has none of the awful hister baggage associated with the event. Nice one!

PS I can play just about all of the above at the Effra Social too, but I don't get free cake.

11. Nanker Phelge

Still not sure why you have never asked me to play.

12. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Hi Nanker Phelge and editor, I was just wondering what a dj can earn for doing something like the village lates or effra social these days, when we was at it you might get a drinks rider, or sometimes you'd do it for jack shit or for the love of music, things must have changed somewhat cos someone told me the other day they got paid £150 to compile a Spotify playlist for an eatery ?

E2a sorry for slight derail

13. Nanker Phelge

Every gig is different. Some I take a fee. Some I do for free (if I am into whatever cause or event it is)

I don't have a set price. I just decide when asked.

Money is the last thing on my mind if I am honest.

14. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

That was the case for me too although a few drinks were appreciated as times were hard just wondered if things had changed much over time....

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  15. discobastard

discobastard edited

Free cake at Feast (if they like what you’re playing )

16. Nanker Phelge

I just feel lucky to play my records out and see people enjoying them.

17. editor

editor hiraethified

It's a real privilege to find yourself with a room full of happy people dancing to your tunes, innit? :)

18. discobastard

discobastard edited

Coming up this Sunday...
    Feast August.jpg

clandestino, BusLanes and colacubes like this.