West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

They’ve had 6 years to bring contracts in line. Most importantly, they are entering into new contracts with companies like Picturehouse who are very publicly refusing to pay Living Wage.

And yes, it’s totally fucked up we have to have an ‘accredited’ wage.

editor and Gramsci like this.
  2. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I suspect the ratio at companies like veloia of employees like refuse collectors and bosses on megabucks is about 1000/1

The difference this will make will be tiny.

Alex

Smick likes this.
  3. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

That’s
    that’s not bad is it.

Paid breaks alone bumps up the hourly wage considerably

4. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Considering that about half of London councils aren’t llw employers - beating Lambeth up because only 99% of their suppliers are also llw employers is focussing on the wrong problem.

Alex

5. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

When the councils employed people providing essential services directly, they earned a decent wage as well as having meaningful benefits. Nowadays they aren’t afforded that dignity and the councils are lining the pockets of overseas corporations with overpaid bosses.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wait, so you're saying we shouldn't demand that Lambeth honour their promises? Why not? And this isn't just one of their suppliers. This is a flagship project they've sunk £3 million of pubic funds into.

Gramsci likes this.
  7. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

They will lose their accreditation if they don’t sort this out

FAQs | Living Wage Foundation

“Demanding” won’t make any difference.

Are you saying Lambeth should pay to exit contracts early in order to sort this out ?

Alex

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, I'm saying that they should ensure that the businesses they partner up with - and invest millions in - should pay the living wage, just like they pledged.

Demanding that people stick to their promises and publicising their shortcomings can make a difference if enough people can be bothered. What's your alternative ideas?

9. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Are you saying they are in breach of their llw obligations ?

Alex

10. shakespearegirl

Not saying they should leave contracts early but every time they enter a new contract - especially one they are investing our money or property into - they should be ensuring Living Wage is paid

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

If they aren’t doing this they shouldn’t be llw accredited.

Alex

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Can you not work that one out for yourself?

Gramsci likes this.
  13. shakespearegirl

Well they don’t seem to be doing this in the instance of Picturehouse.

It’s also their support of such a high profile dodger of Living Wage that is shit!

I have a start up business and one of the first things we agreed was paying Living Wage. The least you can do when you are profiting off someone else is ensure they can afford to live!

Winot, Gramsci, alex_ and 1 other person like this.
  14. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I'm really grumpy about this. This cinema is almost literally on my doorstep, like 7 minutes walk from my house.

I like going to the cinema but as the nearest two are both at least 30 mins walk or 20 mins on a bus I don't very often.

I really want to take advantage and see films but feel I can't ethically :(

Gramsci and colacubes like this.
  15. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

This. I’ll keep boycotting till they sort it out but really irritating as it’s so close to my house. I cancelled my Ritzy membership when it all started and would get a membership here if they just sorted it LLW :(

editor and Gramsci like this.
  16. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Quotes problem again.

17. Gramsci

GLL/ Better who run Brixton Rec and the other leisure centres are now paying LLW in Lambeth due to pressure from the Council.

One might think a social enterprise like GLL would do this anyway.

Another thing GLL have done is bring cleaning back in house. The cleaning staff will also get LLW.

WhatI I am not totally clear about is position of other suppliers. Lambeth has contracts with one supplier ( GLL) who then contract out services to another.

I think that Lambeth would expect major contractor to ensure those it contracts with to pay LLW. So down the chain everyone gets it.

This of course might adversly affect some small business as big contractor might see bringing staff back in house as better option.

In reality the subcontracting to small businesses was about cutting costs. So large public bodies like Councils ensuring Living Wage in new contracts is imo likely to mean some small contactors losing business possibly closing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  18. Gramsci

I find it hard to take that posters criticising Lambeth for supporting LLW.

For once Lambeth are trying to stick up for the workers. This is a Labour Council.

They might not be doing enough but its a start.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    alex_ likes this.
  19. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I heard from a lovely young man at the RVT that there is a Norwood LGBT group that meet up in places like Knowles of Norwood. I think he said there is a facebook group - but I cant find anything about it - has anyone heard of it?

discobastard likes this.
  20. discobastard

discobastard _______\+/_______

I agree

21. discobastard

I know about it vaguely and it was mentioned at a Feast meeting. I’ll try dig out details for you.

22. discobastard

friendofdorothy They announce meetups on the West Norwood Local Facebook group. It's a closed group so you will need to drop a note to the moderators to join.

West Norwood Local

wnlgbt.JPG

Hope you're well - haven't seen you in ages!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Is it worth an email to whoever accredits the llw to say - bearing in mind x, how are they accredited ?

I suspect the get out is that Picturehouse are a tenant of the council not a supplier.

Alex

24. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

ah well never mind - i'm not on facebook

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From FB:

26. discobastard

Received this today:

IMG_1537.JPG

27. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Woo! Library opens today! Very exciting. Open seven days a week, as the cinema is open seven days too I assume.

Opening hours are Tues - Sat 10am - 6 or 8pm, Mon 1-8pm and Sun 1-5pm.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So it's £14 a ticket:

Gramsci likes this.
  29. discobastard

Picturehouses - Cinema information for West Norwood

Here are the ticket prices in full which are easily accessible and could have easily been pointed to.

Yes, it is very expensive and I won't be using Picturehouse to watch films. We do however have use of the community room which I am told is excellent and we'll thrash the hell out of it. So at least there is something good coming out of it.

We need to ensure that Picturehouse are as good as their word and let us use the community room to its best possible advantage. And if people don't go to see films because of the price then hopefully they might re-think it. £14 for a Fri/Sat/Sun is a rip.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I preferred to add the price and comment from a local in an embedded tweet, rather than make people go off to another website to see them. I do hope that's OK with you.

Oh, and if you make an online or telephone booking, there's another £1.50 whacked on top of the ticket price, so it's nearly £16. And another £1.30 for 3D films plus 70p for glasses hire. Nice.