West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I just reported it to Thames Water and they’ve had about 25 reports from SE27 in the last 10 minutes so something’s not right.

2. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

3. Maharani

Tulse Hill side seems ok so far...Hitherfield staying open but yes DR closed tomorrow.

4. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Tulse Hill went off in the last couple of hours. Lanercost Road is like the Kalahari, but without herds of wildebeest

wurlycurly likes this.
  5. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Some areas of Tulse Hill are still ok - ie ours. :D I've filled a lot of bottles up just in case though. Hitherfield now saying they may have to close after all. Streatham Wells have said they are closing.

6. Maharani

People sure are panicking. But just after I typed that on FB local I went to wash my hands and had put soap all over them...ooops.

7. Maharani

Looks like more schools will have to close.

8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Dulwich Gardens.

On Knollys Road.

Not in Dulwich.

20180408_151948.jpg

Me76 likes this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was intrigued. "Nestled in a peaceful location on the outskirts of Dulwich."
    No map.

This is not for you. It's a retirement village.

I notice from Google map that there was a Dulwich Care Centre - which is now permanently closed.

Is this another case like Barrington Road in Coldharbour, where a former council care home is closed and sold off for redevelopment?

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  10. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

There was an old people's home on Knollys Road which closed down and is now being redeveloped into retirement flats, is it that?

Presumably selling them off makes a lot more money than running a care home? If it's the same place I didn't realise it was council owned/run. What are old people without their own home/large income supposed to do now?

11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Well actually the elderly who can no longer look after themselves now have to go into PRIVATE care homes.

If they are eligible the council pay the fees (hence the Social Care row going on at the moment). Obviously if they are not eligible for council payments because their assets are greater than £23,500 (not including the value of their home) then they have to pay up themselves. The Lambeth Council page about this is helpfully "Access Denied" but if you are interested in the issue there is a BBC webpage here: How the care system works across the UK

I'm sure others have better knowledge of all this than me, but I think that Lambeth Council has been gradually getting out of running care homes and sheltered housing for many years.

In a case like the Dulwich Care Centre one I presume that a private sheltered housing scheme is an ideal fit for a closed down council care home in the eyes of all concerned at national and local government level. Its a bit like social housing. They keep their eyes closed and think they (and we) can muddle through.

12. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

Have come home this evening to a very endearing young cat hanging out on my doorstep (my neighbour has left out some food and I've added some water and biscuits). He/she is very miaowy and is also very thin (very pointy sticky out spine).

I can't take him/her in because of my own old lady cat but this is a shout out to see if anybody is missing him/her. Shall also post n the other forums as well as WN forum. If anybody has any leads please let me know.. thanks.

PS am on Probyn Rd nr Tulse Hill station.

PPS he/she would also seem to possibly be deaf

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018 at 1:33 AM
    editor likes this.