West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

A merger!

I went for my first class today. Was really good. Small and personal. Got a PT starting tomorrow too. I'm really happy about this gym. The closeness to my place makes me go. It really is joyous.

2. Maharani

I miss him too. We never knew where he went did we?

When my daughter was little she'd like to go in just to say hello. He used to give her a sweetie. She couldn't say Patel so called him Mr Matel :). Happy times.

3. discobastard

discobastard _______\+/_______

He was a lovely guy. Always shouted 'YOU WANNA BAG?!?!', even if you were just buying a paper... And of course he was clearly the inspiration for the mild-mannered gun-toting hostage-taker in Mark Billingham's 'Good as Dead' (portly newsagent on Norwood Rd takes police officer hostage):

Good As Dead - Book from Mark Billingham

Read it and you'll see what I mean...

Maharani likes this.
  4. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

There used to be a guy called Ray who would sit in with him and he is still about. He has told me the area he's in, but I always get it confused with somewhere else. Mr P was a subpostmaster for a long while and was working recently to train people in the PO systems. Ray doesn't like travelling when it's dark so his opportunities to see Mr P have been limited recently.

5. Maharani

Good news about the corner of avenue park road onto norwood rd; theyre making the pavement bigger and putting a speed barrier up. Happy days!

Smick likes this.
  6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

So much for natural selection

7. discobastard

8. Maharani

Smick likes this.
  9. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Really? That's not at all what it said on the plans they sent out. I think it will be much nicer if it's pedestrianised, so I hope that's right.

Smick likes this.
  10. discobastard

Yeah I thought it was just a raised entrance to it to make it more pedestrian friendly.

If I recall it was a Dutch or Danish name referring to the type of entrance where they had presumably been first used as traffic calming measures.

I'd love them to pedestrianise it but I imagine Browns Taxis might be less enamoured by that...

11. Maharani

Someone that works at the railway told me but he's known for not always getting the full picture. Sorry!

12. Maharani

I did wonder about that.

They've nearly finished the pavement on avenue park road. Very efficient.

13. discobastard

Winot and Maharani like this.
  14. Lee Japser

Lee Japser Well-Known Member

15. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

twistedAM likes this.
  16. Arran87

Arran87 Member

Hopefully not. There are a significant number of objections on the Lambeth planning portal.

Not what West Norwood needs, in my opinion.

17. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Totally agree. Chicken Cottage all the way.

tommers, ringo and colacubes like this.
  18. gaijingirl

19. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of a woman in West Norwood have charged a man with her murder.

Mark Morris, 39 from Cranbrook Road, Croydon was charged on Saturday 27 May 2017 with the murder of a woman in Elyewood Road, close to Aubyn Hill, SE27 on Thursday 25 May 2017.

He will appear in custody at Camberwell Magistrates' Court on Monday 29 May 2017.

The woman has not yet been formally identified. Her next of kin have been informed.

20. Maharani

A new hairdressers near The Electric cafe called Pop! £54 for a cut. Wtf.

21. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

It says £48 on their website. Which is a lot tbf but pretty much on a par with most of the others locally. This is why I only get my haircut about twice a year :eek::D

22. Smick

I never pay more than £8 for a gents' cut, but I have to say, Pop looks nice from the outside.

23. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I went in the hairdressers next to the little Portuguese delhi at the bottom of the alley from Tulse Hill tube.

£8....did a fine job too, and quick.

24. Smick

I've always found them too expensive. I can never get out of there for less than £10 / £11. I go down to Andy's at the bottom of Tulse Hill.

25. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I just have a number one all over...

26. Smick

I've got to get a bit of camouflage work done to disguise the receding hairline. Strangely, the more I cut it, the less obvious it is.

27. Maharani

Just wondering what the obsession is with the name 'pop'?!

28. Arran87

Arran87 Member

Hello. Our home on Broxholm Road was burgled yesterday. The burglars took electronics but also picked up my wife's wedding dress - presumably by mistake as it was in a black bag, which I assume they will have put the laptops in.

We don't care about electronics that are replaceable but would do anything to get the dress back, which holds so much sentimental value.

There are pictures on the west Norwood Facebook page. If anyone sees it, or what looks like it, please let me know. Thank you. Arran

West Norwood Local public group | Facebook

29. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Oh how shit mate :( Sorry to hear that. Fuckers :mad:

30. gaijingirl

I had my hair cut at Pop the day that it opened (they had a 20% discount) - but even without the discount it is definitely less than £50. The woman who runs it used to do a lot of mobile hairdressing of families around here and grew up locally. She has a young child herself and I imagine this is quite a big venture for her and her family. They were very nice to me and the kids and I got a great cut and I wish them good luck. Their prices are the same more or less as Studio Salon Education up the road.

I do have to do a sharp intake of breath whenever I look at hairdressing prices though - especially as I actively dislike going to the hairdressers - it just seems like a colossal waste of time.

Smick likes this.