West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

The Roast is excellent. Not cheap but definitely nice :) I had it myself last week.

You might want to think about booking as it can get busy.

sparkybird likes this.
  2. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Thanks my dearest! 3 meat eaters and 1 veggie, did you try both? Will definitely book...

colacubes likes this.
  3. colacubes

No idea on the veggie roast I'm afraid but I've tried various of the meats and they're always good. I'd be surprised if it was a crappy veggie roast but pubs can be surprisingly awful at them sometimes.

sparkybird likes this.
  4. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

The meat, vegetables and gravy were nice. The veggie thing was awful. I dont even know what it was! It looked and tasted a bit like shredded wheat. The roasties weren't good either. Hard and dry not crispy and soft inside like they should be. I think they needed more variety of veg too. I rate the railway roast above the GNW any day.

sparkybird likes this.
  5. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Update on the GNW

The starters were really good (the puy lentil salad with blood orange and beetroot were a clear winner - will try and recreate at home!)

My meat eater friends had pork belly and duck - duck voted the best. The roast spuds were excellent and all the veg very good and plenty of range. Nice light Yorkshires too
    The veggie option - billed on the menu as fondant celeriac was - well the same as the meat eaters without the meat and with a tiny bit of mushroom gravy. The fondant celeriac was basically 2 small chunks of celeriac (like small roast spud size), a bit burnt and that was it!!! Quite frankly I felt like a second class citizen (much to the amusement of my fellow carnivore diners of course). I think my option was about £3 or 4 pounds cheaper than the meat ones, but at £13 odd a bit steep.

I shared my disappointment with the waitress who said she was sorry and would feedback to the chef/management. OK fair enough, but nothing taken off the bill.

Deserts were OK, probably didn't need them but I was feeling very sorry for myself by that point....

Nice space and friendly service, but not a place for vegetarians sadly....

6. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Has KFC closed down?

7. colacubes

Yeah. It's been gone a couple of weeks. No idea why.

8. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Yeah i drove past the other night. Always seemed busy.

9. Maharani

That's shit sparky. They really need to sort out the veggie option.

sparkybird likes this.
  10. Maharani

New grocery shop next to new gym under Irma Court!

Smick likes this.
  11. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I noticed that! I am not sure I will ever use the shop itself, but it has an ATM which is great if the Co is shut. Otherwise it would have been a trek to the Post Office because the one on Station Rise charges £1.89 or some such rubbish.

12. Maharani

The g7 shop (Tulse hill)has one for future ref.

The shop is handy for me as I use that gym and it's 1 minute from my house. Ok for stuff you've forgotten at the supermarket. The staff were very friendly too.

The gym is excellent too. Really handy and fully equipped. They even have 'virtual' classes. I love to dance so I can go in and use the dance room on my own following a virtual dance class! I'm very chuffed.

13. discobastard

discobastard _______\+/_______

What's the damage for the new gym?

14. Maharani

I got an early bird offer so was £30 for key fob and £25 a month I think. V good deal anyhow

15. discobastard

Is that a 12 month contract you're committed to then?

16. Maharani

Didn't sign anything. Don't think so.

17. discobastard

Now I'm interested!

Maharani likes this.
  18. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Wow, can you tell me more about this please.

19. Maharani

I'm going in tomorrow for a solo dance class. I'll update after!

Lizzy Mac, colacubes and boohoo like this.
  20. Maharani

Also, classes look pretty good there too. The staff were mega friendly and open to customer suggestions.

21. Maharani

The booking system the gym has for classes is really good. I think I'm a bit in love with the new gym. :p

22. discobastard

Actually I would check that as I emailed to clarify and they said they only do 6 and 12 month contracts. Though they do have break clauses for scenarios such as moving house or injuring yourself so you can't use the facilities.

23. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was also told 12 months and our lodger who joined said she had to sign for 12 months. It's why I decided against.

24. Maharani

I'll defo use it for a year so it's all good for moi!

25. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

£25 a month is pretty good value. The Rec is £40 iirc, although that includes use of the pool.

26. discobastard

It's now £39.95 pm for a year contract and £49.95 pm for a 6 month contract.

If you got one of the early deals you have yourself a bargain!

Maharani likes this.
  27. Maharani

I'm Sure I shared the early bird offer in here some time ago.

28. colacubes

£44.50, but it's a rolling monthly contract. Better for me as I tend not to use the gym in the summer when the weather is better so will cancel and then join up again when the weather is minging.

29. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

haha - I wrote to them again today myself. I was tempted to take their offer (if it was still el cheapo) and just do swimming membership at the lido (normally I have full membership there). It's not worth me doing it though at those prices - I may as well just have full Lido membership. Shame as it's just around the corner. OTOH the lido is also very close and I get sauna/steam (albeit not as hot as the Rec!).

What I need is Anytime Fitness' location, with the lido's pool and outdoor sauna, together with The Rec's sports hall and indoor sauna/steam/cold showers (and soft play). That'd be perfect!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    snowy_again and Maharani like this.
  30. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I'm still sore at Mr Patel's departure from his shop so I've got a one man boycott against the G7.