1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Didn't sign anything. Don't think so.

2. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Now I'm interested!

Maharani likes this.
  3. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Wow, can you tell me more about this please.

4. Maharani

I'm going in tomorrow for a solo dance class. I'll update after!

Lizzy Mac, colacubes and boohoo like this.
  5. Maharani

Also, classes look pretty good there too. The staff were mega friendly and open to customer suggestions.

6. Maharani

The booking system the gym has for classes is really good. I think I'm a bit in love with the new gym. :p

7. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Actually I would check that as I emailed to clarify and they said they only do 6 and 12 month contracts. Though they do have break clauses for scenarios such as moving house or injuring yourself so you can't use the facilities.

8. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was also told 12 months and our lodger who joined said she had to sign for 12 months. It's why I decided against.

9. Maharani

I'll defo use it for a year so it's all good for moi!

10. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

£25 a month is pretty good value. The Rec is £40 iirc, although that includes use of the pool.

11. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

It's now £39.95 pm for a year contract and £49.95 pm for a 6 month contract.

If you got one of the early deals you have yourself a bargain!

Maharani likes this.
  12. Maharani

I'm Sure I shared the early bird offer in here some time ago.

13. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

£44.50, but it's a rolling monthly contract. Better for me as I tend not to use the gym in the summer when the weather is better so will cancel and then join up again when the weather is minging.

14. gaijingirl

haha - I wrote to them again today myself. I was tempted to take their offer (if it was still el cheapo) and just do swimming membership at the lido (normally I have full membership there). It's not worth me doing it though at those prices - I may as well just have full Lido membership. Shame as it's just around the corner. OTOH the lido is also very close and I get sauna/steam (albeit not as hot as the Rec!).

What I need is Anytime Fitness' location, with the lido's pool and outdoor sauna, together with The Rec's sports hall and indoor sauna/steam/cold showers (and soft play). That'd be perfect!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    snowy_again and Maharani like this.
  15. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I'm still sore at Mr Patel's departure from his shop so I've got a one man boycott against the G7.

16. Maharani

A merger!

I went for my first class today. Was really good. Small and personal. Got a PT starting tomorrow too. I'm really happy about this gym. The closeness to my place makes me go. It really is joyous.

17. Maharani

I miss him too. We never knew where he went did we?

When my daughter was little she'd like to go in just to say hello. He used to give her a sweetie. She couldn't say Patel so called him Mr Matel :). Happy times.

18. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

He was a lovely guy. Always shouted 'YOU WANNA BAG?!?!', even if you were just buying a paper... And of course he was clearly the inspiration for the mild-mannered gun-toting hostage-taker in Mark Billingham's 'Good as Dead' (portly newsagent on Norwood Rd takes police officer hostage):

Good As Dead - Book from Mark Billingham

Read it and you'll see what I mean...

Maharani likes this.
  19. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

There used to be a guy called Ray who would sit in with him and he is still about. He has told me the area he's in, but I always get it confused with somewhere else. Mr P was a subpostmaster for a long while and was working recently to train people in the PO systems. Ray doesn't like travelling when it's dark so his opportunities to see Mr P have been limited recently.

20. Maharani

Good news about the corner of avenue park road onto norwood rd; theyre making the pavement bigger and putting a speed barrier up. Happy days!

Smick likes this.
  21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

So much for natural selection

22. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

23. Maharani

Smick likes this.
  24. gaijingirl

Really? That's not at all what it said on the plans they sent out. I think it will be much nicer if it's pedestrianised, so I hope that's right.

Smick likes this.
  25. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Yeah I thought it was just a raised entrance to it to make it more pedestrian friendly.

If I recall it was a Dutch or Danish name referring to the type of entrance where they had presumably been first used as traffic calming measures.

I'd love them to pedestrianise it but I imagine Browns Taxis might be less enamoured by that...

26. Maharani

Someone that works at the railway told me but he's known for not always getting the full picture. Sorry!

27. Maharani

I did wonder about that.

They've nearly finished the pavement on avenue park road. Very efficient.

28. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Winot and Maharani like this.
  29. Lee Japser

Lee Japser Well-Known Member

30. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

twistedAM likes this.