1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

They don't have time to look after anything but their own selfish whims....

....the scumbalinnas!!!!

2. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Yes. Due to open late this year.

BigMoaner likes this.
  3. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Welcome back to the boards! :D

Maharani and BigMoaner like this.
  4. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

And it would be a real shame if Floral Hall goes - that place is the heart and soul of West Norwood, as far as I'm concerned.

Maharani, Smick and grosun like this.
  5. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

We boycott tescos because it got rid of their stall outside.

Do people know Kate winslett got her wedding flowers from there?

Maharani and clandestino like this.
  6. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Nope nope nope

West Norwood public toilet news:
    "They aim to keep as many of the original features as they reasonably can including retaining the first row of urinals in the Gents, with shelves between each one so that people can sit at them with their laptops."

toilets.JPG
    Norwood News

madolesance, quimcunx and colacubes like this.
  7. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Well I never! Didn't even know there were toilets down there.

8. colacubes

I just got the same email :facepalm::rolleyes::D

ringo likes this.
  9. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

They're by the entrance to the Tesco car park.

Smick likes this.
  10. Me76

There's a cafe on Great Titchfield Street up town that was built in old toilets. It was my old boss's favourite place to go. :hmm:

11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'd always assumed they were toilets because the entrance has just that look. I never thought they'd be reopened though.

12. Me76

About ten years ago I heard it was on the market for about £10k and someone bought it and was trying to get planning permission for a flat. That obviously didn't work out.

13. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I looked at the houses by the toilets, they were new builds....but the toilets infront, and tesco next door, put me right off....the toilets had become like giant rubbish bins.....good value for money, but in a shit place.....also didn't wanna be woken by Tesco deliveries every day.

14. Cartoon Man

Cartoon Man Well-Known Member

Ithink we can all see why the toilets closed, their traffic lights were out of order. Must have been chaos down there!

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  15. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I'm thinking of going to the Great North Wood for lunch next Sunday. Any views??
    Thanks
    SB

16. colacubes

The Roast is excellent. Not cheap but definitely nice :) I had it myself last week.

You might want to think about booking as it can get busy.

sparkybird likes this.
  17. sparkybird

Thanks my dearest! 3 meat eaters and 1 veggie, did you try both? Will definitely book...

colacubes likes this.
  18. colacubes

No idea on the veggie roast I'm afraid but I've tried various of the meats and they're always good. I'd be surprised if it was a crappy veggie roast but pubs can be surprisingly awful at them sometimes.

sparkybird likes this.
  19. Maharani

The meat, vegetables and gravy were nice. The veggie thing was awful. I dont even know what it was! It looked and tasted a bit like shredded wheat. The roasties weren't good either. Hard and dry not crispy and soft inside like they should be. I think they needed more variety of veg too. I rate the railway roast above the GNW any day.

sparkybird likes this.
  20. sparkybird

Update on the GNW

The starters were really good (the puy lentil salad with blood orange and beetroot were a clear winner - will try and recreate at home!)

My meat eater friends had pork belly and duck - duck voted the best. The roast spuds were excellent and all the veg very good and plenty of range. Nice light Yorkshires too
    The veggie option - billed on the menu as fondant celeriac was - well the same as the meat eaters without the meat and with a tiny bit of mushroom gravy. The fondant celeriac was basically 2 small chunks of celeriac (like small roast spud size), a bit burnt and that was it!!! Quite frankly I felt like a second class citizen (much to the amusement of my fellow carnivore diners of course). I think my option was about £3 or 4 pounds cheaper than the meat ones, but at £13 odd a bit steep.

I shared my disappointment with the waitress who said she was sorry and would feedback to the chef/management. OK fair enough, but nothing taken off the bill.

Deserts were OK, probably didn't need them but I was feeling very sorry for myself by that point....

Nice space and friendly service, but not a place for vegetarians sadly....

21. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Has KFC closed down?

22. colacubes

Yeah. It's been gone a couple of weeks. No idea why.

23. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Yeah i drove past the other night. Always seemed busy.

24. Maharani

That's shit sparky. They really need to sort out the veggie option.

sparkybird likes this.
  25. Maharani

New grocery shop next to new gym under Irma Court!

Smick likes this.
  26. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I noticed that! I am not sure I will ever use the shop itself, but it has an ATM which is great if the Co is shut. Otherwise it would have been a trek to the Post Office because the one on Station Rise charges £1.89 or some such rubbish.

27. Maharani

The g7 shop (Tulse hill)has one for future ref.

The shop is handy for me as I use that gym and it's 1 minute from my house. Ok for stuff you've forgotten at the supermarket. The staff were very friendly too.

The gym is excellent too. Really handy and fully equipped. They even have 'virtual' classes. I love to dance so I can go in and use the dance room on my own following a virtual dance class! I'm very chuffed.

28. discobastard

discobastard Proof-Read by Spores

What's the damage for the new gym?

29. Maharani

I got an early bird offer so was £30 for key fob and £25 a month I think. V good deal anyhow

30. discobastard

discobastard Proof-Read by Spores

Is that a 12 month contract you're committed to then?