1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by clandestino, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Yeah, cos we really need another one. I had hopes it might turn into a micro Argos.

Greebo likes this.
  2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

What kinda person hopes for an Argos?

3. Maharani

Nothing wrong with Argos. They've won design awards and sell all manor of great things...don't tell me you've not been excited when opening up the lamenated book for dreams.

friendofdorothy and gaijingirl like this.
  4. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

No. I have never been excited by anything Argos.

Woolworths on the other hand...

Greebo likes this.
  5. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

There was a fight between some women in the greasy spoon next to b & q. Cops were called. Not quite end of days yet.

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Dipping your toast in someone else's egg often ends like this.

Greebo and Maharani like this.
  7. Maharani

We all miss Woolies.

8. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Me. I hoped for an Argos too. It's a very useful shop.

Maharani likes this.
  9. clandestino

It's been there for ages. Bon Velo has opened since.

10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Yeah. You would.

clandestino likes this.
  11. clandestino

It would save me going to Streatham, that's for sure.

12. Arran87

Arran87 Member

Apparently they're going to start work on the restaurant adjacent to Knowles mid-October with an early 2017 opening.

Also - does anyone know what's going on with the cinema. Doesn't look like anything has been started...

clandestino likes this.
  13. clandestino

This was posted on the Friends Of West Norwood libary page on Facebook on Sept 14:

"FOWNL attended a Steering Group meeting for the Nettlefold Library/cinema project last night. Everyone very upbeat about work starting soon. For some reason we're sworn to secrecy on the details, but expect announcements in the next few weeks."

Sister Midnight likes this.
  14. Maharani

Saw a witness appeal today for a robbery in papa johns! It just made me chuckle...'stick em up, this is a robbery...give me all the pepperoni you've got'!!

In other WN news I see the place/soon to be restaurant next to knowles is finally being refurbished. Hopefully in time for Christmas.

Smick likes this.
  15. clandestino

Start of next year according to someone in the WN Facebook group.

Maharani likes this.
  16. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Jam session happening in the Horns on Tuesday. Bring your instrument and see what happens.

17. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Electric Cafe was listed as the third best greasy spoon in this week's Time Out. It was also used for the cover of the feature.

Maharani, Oula, colacubes and 2 others like this.
  18. clandestino

Yeah, I was really pleased when I saw that. I love the Electric Cafe.

Maharani and Smick like this.
  19. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Since I was last up on Knights Hill by the Great North Wood, I notice there are now two recently opened beer shops.

The Good Drinker and also a branch of Art & Craft (next to Pintadera) who are also in Streatham. Both very decent and friendly places with lots of local beers and a load of other stuff too.

I've just liberated a very nice selection of fruity pale ales

Also had lunch at Pintadera yesterday, first time I'd been in. Had a great Gorgonzola ciabatta. Lovely atmosphere and very friendly staff. Will def be going up there again soon

ringo likes this.
  20. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Pintadera are ace :) Did the food for my wedding at v short notice and it was both v tasty and massive :cool:

gaijingirl, boohoo and discobastard like this.
  21. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

my mum, who lives in West Norwood, was talking to the big florists down by the church - owner said that trade was down and rents were rising. And that "the new crowd in West Norwood" don't buy as much as flowers as the people they've replaced. It'd be a shame if the long term businesses on the high street begin to get priced out, Brixton mark II!

22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Yes, it really would.

Who are this 'new crowd'? What is their demographical make up?

23. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

I know quite a few people who moved from flats in Herne Hill to get houses in Tulse Hill and West Norwood once they had kids. I'm not not saying it's just them like.

24. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

I get flowers from them every anniversary (they did our wedding bouquet) and we bought our Xmas tree from them too.

But I'm a proper salt of the earth type and have lived here for years. Not like some people. :hmm:

BigMoaner and Nanker Phelge like this.
  25. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I am a recent interloper (just over a year). In that time I've had 2 Xmas trees, my wedding bouquet and numerous other purchases from there :hmm:

BigMoaner likes this.
  26. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

It's your sort that are killing the high street.

colacubes likes this.
  27. BigMoaner

I have no idea tbh. That's what she said. It has gone slightly more upmarket, but its still a great town Imo.

28. BigMoaner

I have noticed they are knocking down the old library? It'd be great if the cinema that was always talked about would go there. Is it still going ahead?

29. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

There are a lot of young renters appearing locally.....

The amount of exposed ankles is certainly on the increase. Wax jackets and beards too. I sense a disturbance in the force.

Maharani and BigMoaner like this.
  30. BigMoaner

:Dthe non-flower buying wankers

tommers, boohoo and colacubes like this.