West Ham Utd 2018/19: Still in the Premier League

Discussion in 'football' started by Thaw, Jul 5, 2018.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Two or three seasons back, clubs that got relegated (prem) pocketed more dough than the winners. Parachute payments give those teams a massive unfair advantage and is detrimenatal to the championship now as well.
    It is, it doesn't make for an equal playing field though.
    Stop right there :D

Libertad likes this.
  2. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

It is but the structure of "the pyramid" has been deliberately changed in order to entrench those at the top. Because the clubs at the top control how the competitions are organised.

The H List: The Questions They Don't Want You To Ask

Eventually people will get sick of it (apart from those who support clubs where not winning the league for five years is some sort of fucking failure). There have always been better and worse clubs in a division but not at the same level that you get now.

Guardiola had the nerve to moan about us "not attacking" last year. Like it was still a competition, like we had a hope in hell of winning.

For a team like us a proportion of our games are not competitive any more. We're here as makeweights so that they can glob on about how great Liverpool are for another ten years.

Southampton had a some great seasons a few years ago. We had a brilliant season when we had Payet. We came eighth. You lot bought all of Southampton's players.

That's the absolute upper limit of what might happen for 2/3rds of the division.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Jay Park, BCBlues and sealion like this.
  3. TruXta

TruXta tired

It's unarguable that football has become less competitive of course, but the tendency was always there. Most teams have never been a part of the top 4 divisions. It's pyramids all the way down.

That's not a law of nature of course, that's choice, that can be remade. But is there a groundswell of support for a non-competitive league? Not that I can see.

Badgers likes this.
  4. sealion

Ta, he nails it in that blog.

tommers likes this.
  5. tommers

He always does. :)

Libertad and sealion like this.
  6. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Yeah that H list is always a good read.

As a long term Chelsea fan i really miss the old days even though we were dreadful. At least I could get in games then without forking out a fortune. Winning things is great yes and so is the ability to stuff Man U and Liverpool who were dominant in the main period I've been following football.

The Prem tho really is getting bland. I much prefer following the Championship these days, Blues win at Leeds was great stuff yesterday.

As for today's game well done Hammers in stopping Hazard, the main cog in our machine this season.

Badgers, tommers and sealion like this.
  7. Humberto

Humberto Your world. Your life. Your debt.

Shit owners is also a problem. Newcastle for instance don't spend any money. Big attendances, good manager, not going anywhere.

8. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Cardiff, Brum, Blackburn...

Humberto likes this.
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

:D

Libertad and tommers like this.
  10. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Receiving the H List email is one of the highlights of my week. Consistently astute and unfailingly entertaining, it is West Ham United after all. :)

11. sealion

That's the trap of the premier unless your a supporter of one of the top six. Spending loads of cash still doesn't guarantee success.

Humberto and Badgers like this.
  12. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

What is the solution tho?

If you don't give parachute payments the related clubs would lose their entire squad the following season and have to start from scratch again, this would invariably mean that promote sides would have weaker squads than now, making relegation more likely and thus ensuring that teams yoyo between EPL and championship more often and now!

13. sealion

Making it an equal playing field for everyone in a flash. What chance does a Burton, Millwall, Barnsley etc have if it's about who has the most money? Many relegated clubs sell players or cancel there contracts where possible, they can't afford the huge contracts dished it whilst in never never land. Basically fuck them, the likes of Qpr wasn't giving much of a fuck for anyone else when they went all in. How about capping the spending in the prem, so there is more parity for all, or try running your club like Burnley who seem to do okay.
    Isn't footbll all about ups and downs ?

14. TruXta

TruXta tired

:hmm: up and down the pitch maybe. Maybe a drafting system like American football has would go some way towards evening things out?

Badgers likes this.
  15. sealion

How does it work?

Badgers likes this.
  16. TruXta

TruXta tired

17. sealion

Wouldn't every club having the same budget and wages cap be more straight forward?

Badgers likes this.
  18. tommers

The Claret & Blue juggernaut rolls on. :cool:

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Should be ashamed of yourselves bullying Macc like that.

tommers likes this.
  20. tommers

Gotta take it when you can get it.

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Did they win

22. tommers

8 (EIGHT) - 0 (NIL) :cool:

23. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

We play them Saturday. We're unbeaten and theyve not won, now this... nailed on defeat.

24. tommers

Mate we last beat a team by this many in 1983 (and we signed their centre back after :facepalm:). At the end we had three youth players on. I reckon you'll be just fine.

JimW likes this.
  25. tommers

Hahahahabababababahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaah

Libertad and Ponyutd like this.
  26. tommers

Fucking beautiful. Look at all those grumpy cockney reds.

Ponyutd and Libertad like this.
  27. TruXta

TruXta tired

That's the West Ham I've been waiting for!

Libertad, Ponyutd and tommers like this.
  28. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

Ole!Ole!Ole! Have some of that. How marvellous to see mourinho shrinking like a salted snail.
    Have a lovely weekend 'Ammers everywhere! :D:cool::thumbs:

29. tommers

Beautiful performance. Anderson was classy as fuck, Diop & Balbuena were brilliant, Mark Noble the Man of the Match. Every body played well and some great football too.

And then it cuts to grumpy grown men in Man Utd tops, Mourinho moaning and Scholes with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

Perfect.

Libertad likes this.
  30. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

And lawrenson had us down for 2-0 defeat as per usual....the cunt!