West, Central, and East Africa in the Twenty-First Century: Stories from Social Change

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Feb 20, 2017.

1. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

So, a little bit of cheer for the new year.

Ethiopia just announced it is freeing all political prisoners

Mordi, petee, JimW and 1 other person like this.
  2. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

For a while now, the Chinese have been involved in various speculative building projects in Africa (and not out of the goodness of their hearts, but you know that).

In 2012, the BBC website had this piece, arguing that the new suburb of Kilamba in Angola's capital, Luanda, was a "ghost town":

Angola's Chinese-built ghost town

I've just come across a piece claiming that this former "ghost town" now has 80,000 inhabitants:

Views of suburban Luanda: banishing the ghosts from Kilamba - Africa Research Institute

3. Idris2002

petee likes this.
  4. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I don't know if this goes here but maybe it should. Just learnt a bit about what is going on in Cameroon, where i think it'd be fair to say there's almost a civil war situation at the moment.
    I've seen nothing of this in the news and don't really understand what's going on but the division is between english speakers ('the anglophone region') and french speakers, who include almost all of the government, administration and the military.
    The situation has been getting worse for months, with many killed (government & military as well as civilians) and thousands fleeing, as various (english speaking) militant groups fight for the division of the country along linguistic lines and the government tries to keep control. This is not the positive kind of post-colonial story.
    Cameroon govt ready for dialogue over Anglophone crisis – Atanga Nji in Buea | Africanews
    Anglophone problem (Cameroon) - Wikipedia

5. Idris2002

6. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

7. Idris2002

eatmorecheese likes this.
  8. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Was it replacing or upgrading Lungi?

9. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese massaged in hot chocolate

Replacing. Decision implies Lungi will be upgraded instead.

Idris2002 and snowy_again like this.
  10. Idris2002

I'm not sure how viable the proposed bridge across the harbour (third largest natural harbour in the world will be, mind).

eatmorecheese likes this.
  11. Idris2002

12. Idris2002