Welcome home Craig Bellamy

Discussion in 'football' started by badlands, Aug 15, 2010.

1. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

ROFL.

:D

Nutjob.

2. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

There has been some anti Welsh crap being spouted out about this move, people questioning our right to play in the league. God knows what it'll be like if we actually get promoted.

3. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Nonsense. The fact that there are some provocative, trolling gobshites on websites is hardly a surprise, but people seriously positing some kind of anti-Welsh conspiracy are just being plain daft.

If you get promoted you'll receive the same witless, stereotyped banter as many other fans in the league. Equating that with racism is simply ridiculous in the vast majority of cases.

4. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Nice one for acknowledging that it was seen as underhand. In reality we sold loads of our first team to try and avoid administration, more than Ipswich ever did. It's only 'cos we got promoted and Colin Wanker got in such a strop that we were labelled as bad boys.

5. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Those paragraphs seem to negate each other; think you're missing a smiley.

I'm a bit ambivalent toward all this spending but hey it's happening and there's not a lot any of us can do about it.

As for us being a cancer, well the Sky 4 had their monopoly glory years. While we were spending £2m a season, Ferguson was splashing out £30m on individual players. It was all ruined before Abrahamovich and Abu Dhabi became involved. City are just spreading the wealth/debt depending how you look at it.

6. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Its funny that people love beating us and want their three points when they do.

Yet when we take three points off them they start asking why are we in the english system.

I always point out that it stopped being an english system over 100 years ago. It stop the moment Welsh clubs were invited to the league. Invited no doubt as it financially benefitted the league at the time. It still does. Welsh money goes into the league and towards league prizes and salaries etc. and has done for over a century. Don't moan when we stand a chance of actually winning some of it back.

7. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Density of Sound

I agree. City and Chelsea before them are like the bloated grotesque versions of all the established premier league clubs. They just highlight the rest of them. If you take away City, all you do is make it easier for Liverpool and Arsenal to squabble over 3rd and 4th. City aren't a cancer, they are a symptom of the wider mallaise. In fact, in some ways, a less worrying one than the 'Sky 4' cartel - Teams whose success is perpetuated by the unfair rules of the system.

City and Chelsea are only a grotesque throwback to earlier sides who bought victory - Preston of the 1880's imported players on cushy jobs from Scotland to win the league and cup double. Sunderland were the 'bank of England' club in the 50's, got in trouble for exceeding the maximum wage and broke several transfer records, Blackburn bought the league effectively in the 90s.

It's not City's fault that grotesque sums are required to overcome the fact that three or four clubs have benefited to the collective tune of hundreds of millions of pounds of extra revenue, enabling them to spend bigger, become bigger, get the best youth setups, in turn earn more money by exploiting global markets etc.

City are no worse in my mind than side like Wigan and Fulham, who are seen as 'romantic' by Premier league fans, but outspent their lower league rivals by millions to gain promotion. Fulham spending millions on players like Peschisolido and Coleman in Div 3 is just as perverse surely. doesn't that 'distort' competition in the same way?

8. Clint Iguana

Clint Iguana not an undercover cop

Whilst i am happy that Cardiff are benefiting from this, i have to say i feel a little uncomfortable about it.

We are talking about a team that had £80,000,000 worth of talent ON THE BENCH last weekend. Whilst this move may seem magnanimous, I suspect it is a case of them being willing to pay out £70,000+ a week, just to make sure Bellamy does not play for any of their rivals. It is just our good fortune that we have a local lad that actually wants to play for his home town club.

It would be nice if this was the start of something new, if a few other players came to put in a shift on the shop floor and generated some income for the lower leagues. I don't want city to romp home as champions because of this, but hopefully it can make the Championship a little more interesting this season and perhaps put a few more bums on seats. But then, i am a bit of a dreamer on times.

9. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Sorry I was actually agreeing with you in that there is some anti-Man City stuff around. The cancer stuff was sarcastic.

10. 1927

Its not just trolling gobshites on websites tho, the main stream press has been ripping into us bigtime in a way that wouldnt have happened had it been Middlesboro for instance. team in debt signs player on £20k a week is hardly news. How much do Liverpool owe? Noone questions their signing of Joe Cole.

11. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

In reality, the vast majority of football fans couldn't give two flying fucks about Cardiff City. You're news at the moment, fear not obscurity beckons abain soon. :D

12. 1927

What people who like to spout bollocks about Welsh teams in an English league forget, or probably never even knew, was the fact that the league system was founded by a scotsman. His idea was to gather the best teams in Britain into a league. Unfortunately the idea of including Scottish clubs didnt work because of the distances involved. Cardiff were invited to join in 1921 and proved their worth by missing out on the Division 1 title by the smallest ever margin, losing a cup final and winning a cup fianl all in the space of 3 years. Incidentally many will not know that Cardiff City have NEVER won the FA Cup. The trophy we won in 1927 was called the English Challenge trophy and had to be renamed the FA Cup when we won it.

13. 1927

Coming from a Celtic fan that is rich. You spend your entire season in obscurity in a league that nobody gives a fuck about.

14. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

we should archive this thread for when Cardiff go bankrupt, then rename it "why most football fans deserve to have their club go bankrupt"

15. 1927

No income tax no vat
    We dont care we got Bellamy
    Chops and Jay and Whitts can score
    Bailiffs knocking at the door

God bless poverty
    Viva poverty
    Long live poverty
    C'est magnifique poverty

16. Clint Iguana

I dont think you have been keeping up have you? We aint bought him and we aint paying his full wage. Shirt sales alone have already brought us more than we will be paying him for the next month.

17. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

I'll have that as a dummy spitting bite.

18. 1927

Have it anyway you like, its true and you know it.

19. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

It is a poor league yes. But Celtic, 'in obscurity', that's just the ravings of a wee boy who's sudenly been allowed his first sip of lager. Like Rangers who have played some big games in Europe, the past few years have seen, fairly big clubs such as Manchester United, Juventus, AC Milan, beaten at Parkhead. Not exactly obscure, but if that's what you define as obscure then yes, you can have that.

20. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

They are slightly obscure, tbh. If you're not Irish or Scottish then Celtic don't mean all that much to your average punter. Big clubs, sure, but it seems to me to be politically motivated in part.

Of course O'Neill left us for Celtic so there is that.

21. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

Bigger than many other none obscure clubs in the UK bigger support across the world. Hardly 'obscure'. The league is piss poor, but that doesn't mean Celtic are obscure.

22. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Ok, wrong word perhaps. Better described as a bit of a curiousity, perhaps. Big club in no small part due to political reasons, playing in a league of 2.

23. Lo Siento.

:D You're still paying him a ridiculous wage, a massive wage for a solvent club in the championship, never mind a club in the state of Cardiff City. As to the "shirt sales alone" you're gonna buy the bullshit numbers that the people who got you into this mess are coming up with?! It's ridiculous self-delusion.

Every time a club fucks up by overreaching themselves the fans are onboard during the good times, and ready to scream blue murder when it goes tits up and they end up without a football club, bollocking on about someone, somewhere should make the people running their club act responsibly.

Well, here's it is! This is the moment to demand someone runs YOUR football club which you LOVE so much responsibly. Or it's the moment to say "I'm up for the ride" and not bleat when it inevitably ends in bankruptcy.

24. Clint Iguana

I would define 'ridiculous wage for the championship' as considerably more than any other player in the league - on that basis, your post fails.

25. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

Agree with the league bit. Yeah the socio-political factors certainly give a boost to the numbers who supprot Celtic.

26. strung out

strung out (",)

he's got a point though

e2a lo siento i mean

27. Lo Siento.

Let's be honest, you've heard everything from 20-45k is on Cardiff's wage bill. This is a biiiiig wage for the division. If it was being paid to any other player in the division, by a club in a relatively healthy financial state, it would still be fucking ridiculous and unsustainable.

Reality. It's a big risk. What if he keels over injured? What if the initial buzz fades when he doesn't win you every game and the extra money stops coming in? What if the sums bandied about regarding the extra money are bullshit?

It's not a responsible way to run a club. It's a risky way to run a club. I'm not even saying you shouldn't be enjoying it. I'm saying if you go along with it, you've got sod all right to complain if it ends badly and you lose your football club.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Do you know how much other players are getting paid then?

I imagine some of Newcastle's players were on a fair few bob last year.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here we go. Xisco was on £50,000 a week.

Newcastle wage shock: Coloccini earns TWENTY TIMES as much as team-mate Guthrie
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...as-team-mate-Danny-Guthrie-article318455.html

Meltdown: Newcastle’s £71m wage nightmare
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ewcastle-8217-s-71m-wage-nightmare--stay.html

And here's their Championship wages n full:
    Looks like Cardiff have got Bellamy very cheap indeed.

30. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

Newcastle had just come down from the prem, though. Cardiff haven't.