Week One Highlights and Predictions

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 Brazil' started by Diamond, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

One week in, we've seen everyone play and should have a pretty good steer on each team and how this tournament's going to unfold so now's the time to ditch your pre-WC predictions and trundle out some marginally more informed intuitions as to what we can expect to see over the next three weeks while celebrating the best opening week to an international tournament in living memory.

The main highlight pour moi has to be RvP's ridiculous header against the Spanish. Typical RvP, astonishing goal and opened up that devastating rout.

That aside, the USA look frighteningly, well, American, in their early success - maybe not the most talented but supremely organised, incredibly hard-working, very disciplined and utterly fearless. Friends in the States, Houston in particular, say that the game has been embraced over there like never before, although perhaps predictably a lot of them genuinely believe they are going to win it :)facepalm:). Ominous stuff for future World Cups...

Other points of note - Brazil look fragile, Croatia were hard done by, Mexico are far better than their domestic league would suggest, Chile are great fun, Belgium have spluttered at the start, England might just win a game, African teams don't like South America, Japan are uber dark horses, France are being overhyped, Germany still need a striker, Joel Campbell's been the best player of the group stage so far.

To win it? On current form? I'm going to stick with Belgium.

2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I go Germany to win.

3. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

Netherlands for me, they deserve to win something sooner or later and now is as likely a time as ever.

Gingerman likes this.
  4. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Also the Ned - this moment in football seems suited to them.

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oh i didn't see them play.

6. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Im now going for Germany vs Italy in the final.

Brazil look suprisingly lacking in flair and creativity (hulk? really? how did the south american Emile heskey get into their squad?). Plus they are under a lot of pressure - they could meet chile in the next round and i wouldn't be surprised if they crash out of their own party at the second round stage.
    Argentina look shaky at the back.
    Holland were ace but their lack of quality outside the front three might make them come unstuck.
    I think England will give anyone a good game but look weak defensively - i think the lack of at proper defensive midfielder might be there undoing.
    Belgium might come good but have yet to convince.
    I think USA will grind their way out of their group with pourtugal and ghana going out.

France, Columbia and Chile i dunno cos didn't see there games.

Germany and Italy look the most cohesive and convincing teams for me.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Everyone completely writing Spain off then?

I wonder what odds you'd get for backing them now...

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I'm going to stick with this.