1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by editor, Apr 1, 2009.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a quick reminder of today's actions in case anyone's coming along or wants to follow the action on traffic cams (if still operational):

Wednesday 1 April
    It's Financial Fools Day, everyone! The first (scheduled) protest is the G-20 Meltdown march on the Bank of England, kicking off (hopefully not literally) at 11am with a four-pronged procession representing the Horsemen of the Apocalypse:
    *The red horse against war starts from Moorgate
    *The green horse against climate change starts from Liverpool Street
    *The silver horse against financial crimes starts from London Bridge
    *The black horse against land enclosures and borders (honouring the "360th full circle anniversary of the Diggers") starts from Cannon Street

There's a big party planned when the processions meet at the Bank. This is billed as a very English protest, and they're recommending you bring food and water to share (especially cake: "you can't have a revolution without cake"), flags and musical instruments.
    Climate Camp is setting up at exactly 12.30pm outside the European Climate Exchange at 62 Bishopsgate. If you want to go camp, take your own tent and sleeping bags, food and water, and anything to decorate the area.
    Campaign Against Climate Change is holding a Fossil Fools Day protest outside the ExCel centre 12.30-7.30pm with a rally at 6.30pm. They'll have a big 'iceberg' and they invite you to bring your own 'ice blocks' and dress in white.
    People and Planet are planning action against RBS-NatWest as part of their Ditch Dirty Development campaign, against funding of fossil fuels. There's not much detail about times and places, which is quite possibly deliberate.
    Stop the War Coaltition are meeting at 2pm outside the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square to protest against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    The Alternative London Summit takes place at the University of East London's Docklands Campus 4-9pm. It's a teach-in, with keynote speakers including Ken Loach, Tony Benn, Tariq Ali and Caroline Lucas.
    Fossil Fools Day will also be outside the British Museum's Great Russell Street entrance from 6pm, where BP are (kind of stupidly) celebrating their centenary. Protesters plan their own party (bring banners, instruments and "a sense of climate justice").

PDF flyer: http://www.g-20meltdown.org/sites/g-20meltdown.org/files/g20Meltdown.pdf (6MB)

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, and who's going?

3. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

I thought the Alternative London Summit had been cancelled? Isn't there an on-line petition or something?

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's their latest press release (posted yesterday):
    http://www.altg20.org.uk/

5. cesare

Ah, ok, they're occupying then.

6. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

"We are the people. We are the power."

Bollocks are they.

7. e19896

e19896 kill all ANARCHIST R.I.P.

"We are The Middle Class. We are the power."

8. cesare

It's a good job I'm not a mod. I'd ban both of you for the lolz.

9. _float_

_float_ New Member

The University of East London website ( http://www.uel.ac.uk/ ) says:

G20 summit - campus closures: The University of East London will be closed on Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 April, due to uncertainty about transport and possible disruption around the G20 Summit at Excel. The 'Alternative G20 Summit' scheduled for the evening of Wednesday 1 April at Docklands campus has been cancelled. The University will be open as normal on Friday 3 April.

Given that the alternative summit will now be an 'occupation', it will be interesting to see if people like Ken Livingstone, John McDonnell and the BBC Newsnight guy will turn up. I don't understand why they don't have an alternative fall-back location given the quality of the line-up they had booked.

10. ajdown

Don't they keep "occupying" this place?

Honestley, does any learning actually ever get done there?

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yeah! They'd be better off posting reams of cut and paste and long lists of links to Indymedia.

You won't believe how much that hurts The Man.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

LOL at the self-pwnage.

13. cesare

:D

14. ajdown

Simple flip of the singers.

15. cesare

Not on a qwerty keyboard, it's not.

16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

It's all the excitement about the day, isn't it? :cool:

17. e19896

Just where are the cut and paste and long lists of links to Indymedia, there on another post and i took what you said on board, it was a witism alass not as good as the one in Shameless last night..

18. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Water cannon outside RBS:

[​IMG]

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A watwer cannon? WTF?!!

20. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Something something soap dodgers...

21. cesare

Or a bunch of wet bankers

22. e19896

It's not a water canon, it#s an armored vehicle used/owned by protestors.
    Obviously being "checked" by police. BBC reports 6 occupants being arrested. Not really clear on what charge if the vehicle is road legal....

from indymedia ill check around?

[​IMG]

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/

23. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Oh. That's disappointing.

24. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

25. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

erm a quick question. What information about police powers/rights/protesters rights/etc should I quickly print out/learn before heading down at lunch time.

26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

start here http://www.urban75.com/Action/

27. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster New Member

Apparently not been arrested according to BBC News just now ..

28. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"All you fascists are bound to lose!" :D

29. e19896

Ta me love if any are on twitter tag reports with #imcg20 this is the indymedia tag more on how to add news to there http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2009/03/425262.html

30. _float_

_float_ New Member

My suggestion would be to get some supplies just in case you get 'contained' in a police cordon for several hours.