Web experts! Why doesn't this site display?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Dec 8, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's not my site but it's been annoying me. Apparently the owner can see the site fine but on my Windows desktop and Android phone I get this:

If I open it in a HTML editor I can see the code for the actual page and it looks full of errors but what would it take to fix it?

My Site

2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Works for me, on Android.

3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

isn't that the error when your IP has been blocked? Think I've seen that a few times from places that block ban Chinese IPs. Maybe some legacy block the developer's missed?

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat put on an iron shirt, chase santa out of earth

works ok here on firefox / windows 7 via BT internet.

wonder if you've got some add-on that's objecting to it. site seems to involve javascript - have you got anything that might be blocking that?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So it works on my phone via a data connection but not via wi-fi.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've no idea. I know others have reported the same thing.

7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat put on an iron shirt, chase santa out of earth

that makes some sort of issue between your ISP and theirs more likely. I have a vague memory that BT internet had a problem where it wouldn't talk to about half the internet a few years back

8. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Would that fit then? Presume accessing via mobile data is a different IP. No expert by any means mind.

9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Works for me.

10. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Safari on WiFi here. Works fine.

11. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

upload_2018-12-8_13-4-57.jpeg
    Must be a very dodgy site....I get the same error on the iPad in Brazil. The other site that does the same here is John Lewis when i’m at the office.

12. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Works for me on W10 desktop and android phone.

13. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Works for me on WiFi (Vodafone) using chrome.

14. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Works for me on a samsung galaxy s6 on wifi (isp is bt). Its about a railway station.

15. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Dns issues at ed's isp probably. I'm on bt and it works for me.

16. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Could try the website address on one of those "isitdown" type sites.

17. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

If the DNS has recently been changed to point to the new host (which is Weebly btw) then the new record may be taking time to propagate. This would explain the apparently pretty random availability.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  18. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Works for me on all the following
    dual sim Samsung J6 both sims (Virgin and Vodaphone) and wifi
    Samsung S3 using either wifi or Three
    Windows 10 using Chrome, IE, Edge or Firefox
    Windows XP using IE or Firefox
    Red Hat Linux 7 using Firefox

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I haven't been able to view this site for over a year!

20. FridgeMagnet

Hm. Sometimes DNS issues get "stuck"... 403s are annoying though, they can come from lots of places. If it's server config or something in the application it would be consistent no matter the device or network though.

21. FridgeMagnet

I grew up just down the road from there btw and remember never going to it at all :D Even when I was old enough to drink (or to get into pubs anyway) it was considered too dodgy and also too out of the way for my friends. Nowadays I go nowhere near Tulse Hill anyway.

22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Think I've actually drank in there a couple of times as when I was a stude in London I crashed at a mate's place just up the road for a few weeks at one point. Seemed innocuous enough.

23. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Did you set up this site for your friend and/or do admin work on it for him? The fact that it works for everyone bar you and will work for you when you switch from wifi to data connection (different IP) points the finger of suspicion at the server and the fact that it remembers you for some reason, 403 (for Apache at least) generally means directory permissions are to tight or the home page isn't named either index.html (or php) neither of these are clearly true. Take a look at the server and check you haven't blocked yourself to test something and have forgotten you did it.

mauvais likes this.
  24. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

I have been to a couple of Urban drinks in there. Think it is that one.

25. FridgeMagnet

I’m sure it’s fine now - it was done up after I left home I remember - but in the 80s and early 90s it wasn’t considered a salubrious location in my social circle. Which may have been unfair.

It says something about pubs at that time that we thought Wetherspoonses were upmarket. I mean, they were clean for a start.

farmerbarleymow and xenon like this.
  26. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

works at work on chrome
    upload_2018-12-8_16-37-14.png

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No I've got nothing to do with at all - it's just baffled me why I can't see the site when others can.

(*Disclaimer: I do DJ there sometimes)

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Railway picked up a fair few from the old Albert crowd. I quite like it. The garden is magnificent in the summer.

30. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

It's trying to keep you out of the pub.

editor likes this.