We Need To Talk (TERF bigots)

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Sea Star, Jun 20, 2018.

1. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert From bean to cup I fuck up

Smokedout posted it as examples of how she experiences gender dysphoria. You posted your stuff and then called smokedout self obsessed.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I'll ask you the same thing I asked smokedout. would you be saying this to me if you knew I was a childless woman who really wanted kids but can't? You can't have this shit both ways. And yes, when I hear a parent moaning about how they wish they were a mum rather than a dad, that comes across to me as self-obsessed whining if it is not accompanied by something to acknowledge that it really isn't anything important.

3. HoratioCuthbert

Yes I would.

4. nyxx

nyxx Active Member

You miss my point, deliberately or not remains to be seen. Why is this thread - and the other ones - even here.

You misread a whole set of posts if you think it was just referring to twitter. This goes way back to before twitter was even a thing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 2:54 AM
  5. nyxx

nyxx Active Member

That’s one hellluva simplistic misinterpretation of all of smokedout’s posts on this thread. They’ve shared some detailed and deeply complex personal stuff and you reduce it down to....being a mum rather than a dad.
    I think you’re projecting your own stuff here...you want to be a parent and this other person who you disagree with is a parent so you’re boiling it all down to...the thing you’re upset about.

6. nyxx

nyxx Active Member

You know what, some women don’t have children and they’re a-ok with it.

The childless woman always gets wheeled out as a symbol of tragedy, rather than of freedom.

I got fed up of this stupid trope about 20 years ago.

tim, mojo pixy, frogwoman and 3 others like this.
  7. nyxx

nyxx Active Member

If someone is referring to a set of beliefs of which they are critical, and they’re not yours, why would you get upset about them being referenced? If they’ve come to some similar conclusions to you but you don’t want to be associated with them just do some homework on it, figure out where your differences lie and how far you want to distance yourself from them.
    Don’t just freak out because they got mentioned in a discussion which covers the same issues.

frogwoman and HoratioCuthbert like this.
  8. HoratioCuthbert

Yer on fire at 3 am man :thumbs:

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

This.

This has not been addressed, by Sea Star or smokedout or anyone else really.

weepiper likes this.
  10. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

That's like wondering why Muslims get upset at being conflated with terrorists, and telling them it's their responsibility to distance themselves from terrorism by speaking out. No. It's the responsibility of others not to smear them, and to engage in the discussion in good faith.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 7:26 AM
  11. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

What the actual fuck?!

12. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Quite. alfajobrob needs to stfu smartish.

alfajobrob and Pickman's model like this.
  13. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

That overlooks the significant issue of why people choose to subscribe to one definition over another. That's a conscious political decision. It's the centre of the core.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 7:56 AM
  14. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Oh now. I'm an involuntarily childless woman and I have no problem with what smokedout said - nor in most cases* do I have a problem with gender-critical women using their experiences of motherhood to explain their position and why they think mine is wrong.

I can't have kids. You haven't had kids yet. It's sad. But you can't expect people to talk about their experiences of gender without including one of life's most defining experiences.

*except the idea that fertility/menstruation defines womanhood. That one is both stupid and offensive.

15. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

There’s some proper tag teaming going on here - even newbies are involved. Almost like it’s being co-ordinated.

16. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

The first page of the first thread I read on mumsnet had Grace Petrie being called a ‘dick-centred disgrace’ because of her comments on London Pride. I didn’t bother reading the other threads as it became very clear it was mostly TERFs agreeing with each other and rounding on anyone who tried to disagree.

That’s as far as my wider social media reading has gone though, I can’t face to read about it stuff on twitter or elsewhere.

frogwoman, elbows and Pickman's model like this.
  17. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Another woman here who really wanted kids, and I have no issue with what they said either.

Distress/feelings/trauma etc isn’t fucking top trumps. I hate this ‘you should be grateful...’ bullshit. I’ve had to sit there and listen to friends crying about how hard it is having kids, how pregnancy is awful etc etc I could turn round and tell them to be grateful for what they have but I don’t because I’m not a fucking arsehole and I’m capable of recognising other people’s pain.

A counsellor told me just after a suicide attempt when I was 18 that I should just be grateful that I don’t have cancer and get on with my life.

How dare you tell someone else what they’re allowed to be upset about. Fuck her and fuck you.

MrSpikey, polly, tim and 14 others like this.
  18. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Again, that’s not violent attacks and threats is it? I mean that’s a pretty serious allegation to make and yet no one can provide any evidence of it. How peculiar :hmm:

19. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I was responding to your second point about not having read much abuse from TERFs, I guess my point, which I didn’t articulate well, is if somewhere that is heavily moderated like mumsnet has that sort of stuff on it (now removed) then I dread to think what’s being said in less regulated environments.

20. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification:)

21. HoratioCuthbert

Wow. Yeah it’s a trans conspiracy.

22. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

Fucking hell. That's a very nasty post littlebabyjesus, is there any need to attack smokedout personally like that?

This isn't a flounce post but I don't know if I feel comfortable posting here any more. Sorry.

23. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Or more commonly known as a group chat.

24. HoratioCuthbert

No, come on. Explain what you meant by that.

25. ginger_syn

ginger_syn ~¡¬

:rolleyes:

26. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Oh ffs, sometimes there is a flurry of responses to a post. People wake up, have lunch, get home from work etc (or in some cases get to work), that doesn’t mean there’s a co-ordinated fucking campaign.

27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh like the ones you mentioned in your pm

You like to hand it out but you can't take it

28. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Maybe it's because various posters are effectively suggesting that posters who don't agree with their position 100% actually do hold those extreme transphobia beliefs...

29. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Tag teaming? LBJ was discussing something with smokedout and other people were jumping in to reply. There was about three or four on him at one point.

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Lbj in spouts crap gets leaped on shocker

spanglechick, Thimble Queen and nyxx like this.