We Need To Talk (TERF bigots)

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Sea Star, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Sea Star

Sea Star this is not a tagline

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

It's 2 and a half hours long.

What's hateful/transphobic/bigoted about it?

a_chap, Maggot, Fez909 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I am going to watch this but it is over 2 hours long so I'm going to need to put some time aside for it which won't be the working week.

In general though I do think as a board, u75 has got as far as it can for the time being on this. Its hard to see any discussion taking a different course, but as I say I've not seen the video yet.

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Can you summarise it the whole thing and also the bits you think are bigoted and why?

5. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

EVERYTHING!!!1! :mad:

6. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

The sound quality is shit and that's without the mumbling.

It's also very long and full of tedious "legal" arguments. Maybe you could give some timings of particularly egregious remarks.

Was there nothing positive in it?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I can't even see the video, not that I've got 2.5 hours to spare to watch any kind of video, let alone one apparently full of hate.

8. Sea Star

I think anyone who defends these meetings should watch it first. TBH the first 10/15 minutes set the tone and that's even before they blame trans women for making the fish transgender.

Vintage Paw and 19force8 like this.
  9. Sea Star

well, I say hate. Some posters on Urban75 just think it's "legitimate concern". I think people should be allowed to make their own minds up before putting the boot in to trans people.

10. MadeInBedlam

What is said in the tone-setting section which is 'transphobic and bigoted as fuck'?

Sunset Tree and Pickman's model like this.
  11. Sea Star

nobody believes a word i say. Why should i do that and then be attacked for it?

Respectfully, no. Not going to do that.

12. Sea Star

i want your opinion.

13. Sea Star

fuck off.

14. Sea Star

Funny how many times I've been told to watch it. Now I have. Now someone stand up and defend it.

eg, your starter for ten, conflating all trans people with fetishistic men who get off wearing underwear.

15. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Oh. OK. Thats a shame though. I am interested in what you saw, hear, and took from the video and don't have 2.5 hours spare. (hence my question.)

I

Sunset Tree and Pickman's model like this.
  16. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

It's like the story of the boy who cried wolf.

You've accused so many posters here of transphobia with little or no reason and now you're reaping the reward.

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

yeh why should you say why you find this video hateful. why should you help other people understand what you find to objectionable about it. why should you answer people's questions.

on second thoughts perhaps you should if you want to persuade people of your cause.

18. Pickman's model

:facepalm:

sheothebudworths likes this.
  19. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I'm at work and my partner's in hospital, I'm not going to watch a two and a half hour video and then have a pointless argument where no-one's mind will be changed. Sorry.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But you understand that by posting up a 2.5 hour long video with the scantest of introductions and explanations, you're unlikely to engage many people here? If you really want to base a discussion around it, the onus is on you to highlight the salient points after explaining why the video is of any importance in the first place.

Can everyone see the video by the way? I just get a blank space.

21. Pickman's model

tbh you can just skip it and go straight to the pointless argument. and i hope your partner's better soon.

TopCat, Manter, QueenOfGoths and 9 others like this.
  22. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

No you don't, Sea Star. You never want opinions that differ from yours.

23. Pickman's model

you're luckier than those of us who can see the film.

24. MadeInBedlam

sheila what'sherface got called a cunt around 10 minutes in

Pickman's model likes this.
  25. Pickman's model

the best bit about it is the way the second half is viewed through rose-tinted lenses
    upload_2018-6-20_13-17-15.png

baldrick, 19force8 and MadeInBedlam like this.
  26. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

Conflating all trans people as sexual assaulters as there is a number of male to female transgender in prisons guilty of assaulting women

The level of passionate hatred levelled at transgender people by this lot borders on pathological, if they used this sort of language against any other minority group they would be chatting with the coppers, being pilloried in the media and probably getting themselves sacked

Extreme views from extreme people

Caveat I skirted the video (it’s not fun viewing) but have watched a few similar discussions as well as looking at the tweet content of some of the main protagonists

Sea Star, nyxx and Vintage Paw like this.
  27. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Over 20 posts and the thread is still open?
    Has no one paged FM?

emanymton likes this.
  28. Pickman's model

i liked the tinkering around with things at the start but after that it was someone reading out a long diatribe and my attention wandered back to what i'm supposed to be doing. :(

29. Sea Star

If I didn't get shit for making such points I would. You know I'm being stalked and attacked by some Urbanites off Urban don't you?

I think it's time you started moderating transphobia so we can discuss trans issues. But hey, I'm just putting this up here so all those who think this is a freedom of speech issue - and all those who told me I should actually watch a video first before I can challenge it can defend it. I don't want this to be a bunfight about my words. I want this video discussed, and if its too long then maybe those people should keep their transphobic opinions to themselves.

30. MadeInBedlam

10 minutes of it and the closest to hatefull/bigoted is the use of the term 'crossdressing men' to describe men who present as feminine. Some other wittering. Something about whether you can be a lesbian if you've previously slept with men. Then someone got called a cunt.

31. Pickman's model

surely there were shorter videos you could have chosen instead of some mammoth rambling 150-minuter.

i'm reminded of charles dickens, in that this film could have done with an editor too.