1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching Meadow Residential/ Healey Development Solutions

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by darryl, Sep 29, 2017.

1. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

According to SNews earlier, Meadow “will release a detailed statement later today regarding what its next move will be”.

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/new...own-doubt-developer-abandons-planning-appeal/

2. YTC

YTC Human Man

Would have been nice if they'd told anyone at the club or trust what they were doing..

Pink Panther and vornstyle76 like this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Post deleted

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. clog

clog have that you c

I didn’t mean anything in particular by “called out on” in relation to you, I was just using you as an example of someone who posts on here in their capacity as a club official. In fact that’s exactly the point I was making. That you try to answer from your perspective as someone involved with the club and you don’t try to shut down debate then say you were just talking as an individual not as a club official. I was simply asking for the same standard from everyone.

editor, Brix69 and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  5. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Thanks, healthy debate is good for all of us and should be encouraged. Doesn't matter who owns the club, it morally belongs to the fans and all opinions are valid.

6. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Post deleted

7. YTC

YTC Human Man

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

"working in partnership with Dulwich Hamlet Football Club" - but not telling the club committee that it was pulling out? Right.

Meadow seem to be deliberately and misleadingly conflating Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Ltd (funded by Meadow Residential) with "the Club" (which is basically the club committee). Have I got this right?

Considering the planning appeal is quasi-judicial and would have been decided by a third party, the idea that Southwark's comments were prejudicial strikes me as (to use the technical term) complete bollocks.

(NB: The legal letter to Southwark confirming withdrawal is the third document down here http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk/documents/?casereference=16/AP/1232&system=DC - it's a little hissy fit)

editor, Brix69, StephenMac and 2 others like this.
  9. YTC

YTC Human Man

I'm sure there will be a statement about this from all key stakeholders (Comm, Trust and Football Management) soon.

Brix69 and dcdulwich like this.
  10. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

With so many claims and counter claims, they would have us tilting at wind mills, Don Quixote style

What has been good is the clear statement from the Supporters Club, Club Committee officials and the Manager

unity of purpose and clear direction

stay strong folks - in for a bumpy ride

11. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

With Meadow now with no way of building on the site will they just pull the plug on the football club? without building a large number of flats they will never recoup their money.
    Do they write it off and just fold the club?!! They seem to have burnt all their bridges with the council. Yours confused and a bit worried from Camberwell

12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Well it's all speculation at the moment but I'd say it's not impossible but unlikely at the moment.

Basically their issue is that the land with planning permission is enormously valuable, but without it it's worth a lot less than they paid for it and they've got a lot of money wrapped up in it. I don't know what their plans will be but as far as I can see they can either a) Try and find a new way of leveraging planning permission or b) cut their losses and sell for whatever they can get for it.

I think shutting down the club is a long term and very risky approach for them though. Given the council's stance there's absolutely no chance they'd be given planning permission any time soon if they just shut up shop. The logic would have to be to wait for years - to the point where the view starts to become 'fuck it at least there'll be something on site.' Who knows how long that might take though or if it would even work, and as I say in the meantime they've got their capital tied up. I think they'll look at other options first.

13. clog

clog have that you c

What's to stop them shutting down the club, demolishing the ground, building flats on it with a couple of tennis courts to cover sporting covenant and leaving Green Dale untouched?

14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

They'd still need planning permission for the flats which they wouldn't get.

ETA: If they could do that the ground would have been gone two years ago.

15. clog

clog have that you c

Why wouldn’t they get planning permission for the flats if they don’t encroach on Green Dale? Because of the “affordable” element?

16. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Well it would still be change of use for the majority of the site. I don't think the covenant is that there must be some element of sporting use somewhere.

17. clog

clog have that you c

ah, ok. I wasn't sure what the covenant actually says.

18. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

It’s says that Nuns will always have a place here.

Cyclodunc and dcdulwich like this.
  19. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Sports covenants can be surprisingly powerful. Happened in very similar circumstances at Aylesbury United with property developer owners. They couldn't get permission to build on it and 15 years later I gather that they keep getting knocked back every other year while the decaying ground just sits there. The downside was that the owners spitefully closed the ground.

The difference here is that presumably Nick McCormack won't want to kiss his investment goodbye. There's obviously a lot still to play out here but Meadow don't appear to have the strongest of hands to play now.

darryl and clog like this.
  20. bringbackelmo

bringbackelmo Well-Known Member

They can also be completely useless - a lot depends on the attitude of the developer.

sealion likes this.
  21. StephenMac

And the council I should think.

darryl likes this.
  22. dcdulwich

That’s the convenant. Covenant is witches.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    EDC likes this.
  23. dcdulwich

I think that's correct. I welcome the fact that the Leader of Southwark, Peter John, has been willing to go on record recently in support of the club. Specifically, he has said that Southwark is “never going to let the club fail”, that it “is and always will be on the side of the club” and that “Dulwich Hamlet FC will be safe on our watch”.

We also have a number of Councillors who support the club in different ways and others who have joined the Trust.

That’s a pretty good starting point given the tricky position we are in.

YTC, Pink Panther, editor and 3 others like this.
  24. milk76

milk76 New Member

There is in my opinion little chance that the stadium will be closed. The property developers have to be careful.

The covenant with the deed enshrines the s106 terms of use for sporting or educational use. Additionally it has a later clause that states that if the site fails to be a going concern then the freehold reverts to council ownership. I am convinced that this is the main reason previous developers have managed the site at an orchistrated loss but have always kept it running.

25. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

26. StephenMac

Didn't know that about that clause. That's encouraging.

YTC likes this.
  27. Monkeygrinder's Organ

New chant material?;)

Onovwigun perhaps...

28. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

S106 ... remember this

Section 106 Application & Appeal – Dulwich Hamlet Supporters' Trust

*LATEST NEWS – AUGUST 2017*

The Planning Inspectorate have advised us that the appeal will take place on 12 December 2017 at Southwark Council’s offices in Tooley Street, London. The Appeal will see both the main planning application and the application to vary the existing Section 106 agreement heard. The Trust will be present at the Appeal and have been confirmed as a third party witness. This means we will read out a statement and put forward our case for the application to be approved.

Below were our key points for supporters to draw upon when writing to the Planning Inspectorate to support the appeal. We have left them here as a reference to the key points we have put forward.

You can read the Trust’s response to the Appeal here

The Section 106 planning obligations associated with the current ground prevents the pitch from being built on. Meadow need to remove this to enable their development to go ahead. However, we need to make sure that we don’t lose our current ground before the new one is built, so we want some additional
    wording added to the proposed S106 amendments to make sure the Club always have somewhere to play games. We suggest you tell the Planning
    Inspector that you support the removal of the clause providing additional wording is inserted to prevent the removal of these obligations until after
    Practical Completion of a new stadium. You can explain that this is:

• in line with Strategic Policy 4 within Southwark’s Core Strategy;
    • supports the broader ambitions of the London Plan; and
    • is aligned to the applicant’s phasing of the development as applied for in Planning Application 16/AP/1232, and noted in the Heads of Terms for the new s106 agreement.

29. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Is the appeal to vary s106 going ahead still?

30. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

All appeals including the one covering the section 106 have been withdrawn.