Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Watching Meadow Residential/ Healey Development Solutions

darryl

this wasn't supposed to happen
A thread to offer observations on those currently holding the purse strings at Dulwich Hamlet.

After all, we will have to pick up the pieces sooner rather than later, so it's best we get to grips with this stuff now.

Healey Development Solutions (Dulwich) Ltd, the company which collects the bar takings, has filed a loss of £63,278 in its first accounts, covering the calendar year 2016.

There is some further detail at the end of the report. The sole director is Peter Bennison, the man who split Meadow off from Hadley.

HEALEY DEVELOPMENT SOLUTIONS (DULWICH) LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)

Dulwich Mishi

Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!
R.I.P.
Good question - anyone?
Um...ask your Chairman....

But what I do know is that the money from the gate and from bar income IS what they use to cover the wage bill and expenses of the Football Club. Unless anyone else can suggest where that money would come from?

YTC

Human Man
It's my understanding the trust were told that Healy Dev don't pay any wages on the football side of things. But they do take all the bar money. Happy to be corrected!

Dulwich Mishi

R.I.P.
It's my understanding the trust were told that Healy Dev don't pay any wages on the football side of things. But they do take all the bar money. Happy to be corrected!
I could be wrong, of course. But I'm surprised the Trust told you that, as I would have thought they would have been told in confidentiality, for their board members only, at this stage. Happy to be corrected!

Dulwich Mishi

R.I.P.
Gate income goes through Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Ltd and that is also where player wages are charged to from an accounting perspective.
Fair enough, that might explain why the losses can run up on that company, if another arm of them isn't helping to fund it. I thought it was the way I said in the past, perhaps, if not now?
In truth, I'm not a businessman and don't really understand accounting, or the reading of balance sheets.

editor

hiraethified
That's really damning stuff, but it's great to get such a clear overview on what has been a very murky situation.

And what money-grabbing cunts Meadow are:
Pinnock impressed in National League football so in July this year Barnsley signed him for £500,000. Rose had negotiated a 15 per cent sell-on clause, which minus the initial £15,000 fee came to £60,000. Half of that would go to the Aspire Academy and the other half to Dulwich. Rose hoped that £30,000 would go towards his wage budget. It did not.

“I thought that would help us with the budget cut, as it was money that Meadow would not have budgeted for,” Rose says. “So it was basically like a present, and I thought that we had solved this problem, by the work we had done previously with Ethan. So for Meadow to say that was not going to be made available was quite hard to take. Ethan was a product we nurtured for six or seven years, they had no idea of the work that had gone into him. They were profiting off the back of him, and I thought that wasn’t great.”

editor

hiraethified
And this is why I could never support their plans:

Nor had Meadow provided for as much affordable housing as Southwark wanted. The council’s target is 35 per cent in any new development. Meadow’s plan provides for just 16 per cent: 10 shared ownership flats and 15 affordable flats out of 155 in total, arguing that is the consequence of spending £7.5m on a new ground.
Spot on Gavin:
There is particular sympathy from Rose for Southwark’s strong stance on affordable and social housing, which he knows his area needs. “I think we need a lot of social housing and affordable housing for local residents,” Rose says. “We know how much it costs to live in London now, it’s not easy for anyone to get on the ladder. If you can get in a level of affordable housing, people can get a chance to better their lives for their families. If there are less opportunities for those families, we are not servicing the community. I understand why the council have taken that stance.”
At the end of the day, it is a viable club, the gates are very good,” says Rose. “A new purpose-built stadium would be fantastic for the local community. But we have to make sure that everyone is happy. It’s time for Meadow to either make it work for the club, make it work for the council and make it work for themselves. Or to step aside and let someone else do it.”

Taper

Mark McGann
That's a hell of an article. I took a bit of heart from what Liam said at the end. I wonder if there's a community ownership model that could be pursued if this all goes to hell. Or maybe Rod could buy the club with his 50/50 winnings on Saturday

bringbackelmo

This is a very good read and has helped me to understand the situation a bit better. I really don't envy anyone involved with the club at all and really hope Hamlet come through this unscathed (however that looks). With property developers involved things are always likely to get murky but at least the profile of the club should help - it never hurts to have interest from the mainstream press. It'd be great to see the club in the hands of the fans of course, hopefully with the ground still in tact or a decent new one.

There is one absolutely outrageous fabrication in there though: "Their crowds are the highest in Step 3 by a distance...." isn't entirely accurate, but I suppose I can let that slide ;)

blueheaven

That's an incredible article (thought also incredibly worrying). Very impressed by the amount of work that has gone into it, and also quite surprised that Gavin Rose would be willing to speak as openly, and in such levels of detail, effectively against his employers. Hope that doesn't land him in bother.

editor

hiraethified
I was thinking maybe:

Dulwich Hamlet: Champion Hill proposed ground redevelopment news and views

(Putting Dulwich hamlet in the title just means others will be able to pick up in from Google or whatever).