Watch Google Assistant call up a hair salon and make an appointment for you in the background

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, May 8, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Absolutely unbelievable stuff:

Google just gave a stunning demo of Assistant making an actual phone call

Opera Buffa, kabbes and Fez909 like this.
  2. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

All very clever but why wouldn't you want to do it for yourself.

keybored, radgiesteve and a_chap like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Perhaps you're incredibly busy. Perhaps you don't like ringing up to make appointments (I don't).

4. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Nah, not all day everyday. It's what these companies want you to believe, yet all there tech is supposed to make our lives easier.
    I doubt my dealer would sign up for this :D

keybored likes this.
  5. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

An "actual appointment" which didn't involve the salon asking for a surname, contact phone number or email address? Hmm... [/notConvinced]

6. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

It would be great if you had impaired speech but personally I'd want to listen into the call to check it hadn't made a mess of it and I'd be turning up to get my hair cut and finding I was booked in for a curly perm. I don't trust AI to get it right 100% of the time, it doesn't.

7. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Reminds me a bit of those soundboard prank calling 419 scammers

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think you'd get a detailed confirmation.

9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

10. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Every bit of me rejects this. Fuck that. If the world isn’t about social interaction, communication, then what’s it about. Letting a robot do it for you whilst you what? What’s more important? I know pretty much everyone in my hairdresser, and they know me and my dog.

Honestly we’re gonna become these big blobs suspended in jelly, interacting virtually, and too important to feel the sun on our faces or have a laugh with someone. Break out ffs :D Maybe I’m a Luddite. Fuck knows. Just don’t like it.

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Wake me up when my phone can actually cut my hair.

12. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Watching the video took my breath away with how well it understands language. (It certainly does better than Alexa, who seems to misunderstand half the things the kabbess says). But despite how great it was to watch, my first instinct is still quite large chunk along the lines of what Edie said, with a healthy dose of what RubyToogood said. Still, it provides an insight into the future, like it or not...

Spymaster and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  13. 74drew

74drew Well-Known Member

This is about replacing call centre jobs isn't it?

14. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I think I’m just too old

15. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I’m also wondering how many takes they recorded that didn’t go to plan before they got the two to show off.

abe11825, a_chap, Edie and 2 others like this.
  16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

crossthebreeze likes this.
  17. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Incredible tech, horrible implications.

18. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Already has. Have you never had one of those robotic voice calls that fools you into thinking it’s a real person for the first few seconds and listens to your answers before putting you through.

abe11825 likes this.
  19. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Anything that means I can avoid the horror of having to talk to someone on the phone can only be a good thing in my book. :thumbs:

I am quite introverted & really hate talking to people on the phone. It means I end up putting important things off - like making dentists appointments - because they don't have an online booking system, you have to call & talk to someone. This sort of AI would be a godsend.

20. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Douglas Adams needs referencing:

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
    2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
    3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
    Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

danny la rouge, kabbes, salem and 4 others like this.
  21. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I want an AI to answer my phone and screen out other AIs.

MickiQ, abe11825, Duncan2 and 2 others like this.
  22. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

I'd like an AI to transparently make & receive all my calls. If it could also handle the majority of real life interactions too that'd be a massive bonus.

Whagwan likes this.
  23. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

Considering my Google home consistently trips up on such simple requests as 'what's the ipswich score' and 'play me some house music', I'd be highly reluctant to trust this.
    "OK google, book me in for my MOT" "Ok, pizza will be delivered in 20 minutes".

24. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Majority of yesterdays keynote was improvements to Google Assistant. As long as these come to fruition (a lot of google stuff ends up quietly vanishing) then it wouldn't surprise me if Google Assistant becomes much more advanced than Alexa over the next 12 months.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And we'll gladly use it if it suits, just like we've all been instrumental in the death of record shops, travel agents, cash till jobs, independent stores and the High Street.

a_chap likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It already is.

27. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Useless to me unless it understands Welsh :D

Although I do congratulate Google for including "Gareth" in their Waze app, his directions are fantastic.

editor likes this.
  28. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

How on earth is having pizza a bad thing?

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Does he say, "Turn left, isn't it?" and "turn here by now, butty"? :D

keybored and mwgdrwg like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you took evil capitalism out of it, a world of automated ordering and automated delivery would free us all for a lifestyle of fully automated luxury communism.