1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WANT! Photography Drone

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Spymaster, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

2. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

We've got a few here, they're good fun. The DJI ones tend to go a bit loopy every now and then by friends accounts....

Spymaster likes this.
  3. Dr_Herbz

Dr_Herbz Devil's Advocate Banned

That Parrot thing is an overpriced toy. The DJI Phantom is a much better option but if you want proper quality, you're looking at spending a minimum of £500

4. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

DJI Phantom goes for a swim in island:

5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Just been involved with some filming at sea. They had a £30k octocopter with HD camera :cool: The film crew dudes said it's the future :)

You can see the drone coming back into land on a boat where the controller is in this pic:

IMG_20141007_112415.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Chilli.s likes this.
  6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

One of the cameramen I know is getting into all this, has just spent something like £25K on a big HD thing. All rather cool.

7. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

The ones deal extreme not bad seen one in flite with a gopro.

HK to UK buts I get take about 4 - 6 weeks

8. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Hope he is aware of the permits. You can't use any of the drone footage for broadcast unless you have all the permits and licences. There are so many tests and courses and fees etc, that its worth checking every broadcast shot. The fines are huge so all programming with drones needs to be submitted with the paperwork. Legit drone pilots submit the work they have been paid for. There are actually a lot of people out there spotting illegal drone shots, there must be a finders fee or something. I know some people with the licences like to cross check any unknown drone shots (good for their own businesses).
    A frustrated friend of mine is doing the course now, it sounds almost as hardcore as being an actual pilot, in fact you have to know all the flight speak, and air lanes etc.

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Translation please?

Pickman's model, Ponyutd and Onket like this.
  10. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Yeah, he's doing all that stuff. Like you say, it sounds pretty hardcore.

11. bmd

bmd you left me standing here

His username means dyslexic one.

Utopia, dlx1 and Spymaster like this.
  12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Good, because the only people using fully broadcast licenced drones at the moment seem to be really shit. I recently had to exchange a load of cool shots in a show for some shit licenced ones.

13. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie They only call it class war when we fight back

There's a few threads on APF about drones - the legal stuff surrounding them is huge - even before you even start taking photos - just flying the bloody thing!

Greebo likes this.
  14. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

The ones we worked with are the best, their amazing footage will be on telly next spring. So, not really shit at all ;)

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Ah.

Please accept my apologies dlx1 .

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Pickman's model, dlx1 and bmd like this.
  16. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Shit against hawks.

Cid, Chilli.s and Janh like this.
  17. mauvais

I used to work somewhere where they flew remote control helicopters. The default H&S stuff is serious enough, but it goes up a significant amount, possibly into aviation rules, once you're doing it for commercial gain.

18. Mr.Bishie

Yep. Our photo group looked into getting one to film gay pride - we dropped the idea once we looked into public liability insurance if it crashed into a crowd of people!

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

What about as a private individual?

I want to get one of these. A friend of mine wants to go halves on something a bit more expensive which I'm well up for if rules and regs aren't too restrictive.

Got a few links please, Bish?

20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I carry £5m of PL on the company. Pretty sure it won't include flying drones down Regent Street though.

21. Mr.Bishie

22. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

Missing words

The ones Quadcopter Drone on website DX = Deal extreme are not bad for cheap on
    got to look can it lift Camera or small video camera. (Quadcopter)

I have seen one in flit with a gopro attached. HK - Hong Kong to UK bits I get bits and it take about 4 to 6 weeks.

Quadcopter Drone big in MTB video of late.

This was on private land with Gopro it wasn't a Deal extreme Quadcopter

Video removed by request. Aqua x

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    Ponyutd and Spymaster like this.
  23. Dr_Herbz

Dr_Herbz Devil's Advocate Banned

99% of it is common sense but there are a few rules/guidelines.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP658 4 Edition Amend 1 June 2013.pdf

24. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

They seem very laid back about it in France. When I was there last year on holiday I saw a group of people using an octo to inspect Albi Cathedral.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was flying over people in a public square with no areas roped off. I suspect a Gallic shrug might have been proffered at any mention of H&S.

Greebo likes this.
  25. mauvais

Actually I bet there was a shitload of red tape for that. You can barely take ordinary photos in public in France without taking a bollocking from someone, general public or authority.

Greebo likes this.
  26. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

I had a look its NOT very clear, aircraft over 7 kg are banned from class A,C,D,E unless they have air traffic control permission. Class D airspace covers most of London. So less than 7 kg you can fly in London provided you find a quite spot away from buildings and people?

(If you want to know what type of airspace is near by, this site can help

http://www.skydemonlight.com/

hover over the location you're interested in and it tells you if there's class A or D air space (most of England uses A or D). Probably worth avoiding if there's a chance you might fly into such airspace. The map also shows aerodromes and restricted airspace, like aldermaston nuclear weapon site. Sky demon page is mainly used for flight planning by general aviation pilots)

Greebo likes this.
  27. mauvais

Airspace restrictions are 3D, not 2D. Check what altitude it applies to.

Greebo likes this.
  28. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

bit on the rules on ch4 news after these ads right now

30. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

Worth investigating the rules on congested airspace

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6208

This film maker was lucky to avoid a big bill from the courts