1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want but can't has thread

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Cloo, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Rebelda

Rebelda Gas Mark 4 on the Lovely Oven

Why can't I find the perfect pair of dungarees? :mad::(

2. Cloo

Cloo U R dOin me a friTen

3. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

A fucking dishwasher :mad: :(

wayward bob and farmerbarleymow like this.
  4. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I've never had one - are they worth the space?

5. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

Definitely. There'd be constant conflict in our house without one.

6. Biddlybee

I'm at work all day, pick up the girl, do bath, bedtime, make my tea, then have to stand and wash up. I'd love a machine to do it for me and let me sit down for a bit.

7. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Washing machines, dishwashers and hoovers are the only truly essential household appliances.

8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Definitely. Apart from the cost of buying them, they are cheap to run and apparently more efficient in water/energy use than washing up in a sink. Great if you work long hours as you just chuck the mucky stuff in and run it whenever its full.

Agree with the first two, but I'm not convinced that a hoover is essential. Or at least as far as my frequency of hoovering is concerned. :hmm:

wayward bob likes this.
  9. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

is there anywhere you could squeeze a tiny one into? are they expensive? I've never looked...

10. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I don't like /tolerate dust - and its my son's job to actually hoover.

11. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

No. It takes as long to load and unload the fuckers as it would to simply wash the pots, and half the stuff you put in a dishwasher won't even get cleaned properly.

Edie likes this.
  12. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

There are 5 of us so stacks of washing up. And everyone seems to have numerous cups and glasses on the go. Would be an hour a day to wash up and dry. Fuck that. If there are 3 or less of you and you are frugal with plates etc, might be less worthwhile.

Manter likes this.
  13. farmerbarleymow

Fair enough. I loathe hoovering so do it as seldom as possible. A dustpan and brush is enough for most things (all hard flooring here).

14. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Don't think I could live without washing machine. Vacuum cleaner slightly optional...but dog just going into moult so this position will change (again) very soon. Dishwasher - why else have a spouse?
    Thinking about it - we do split washing jobs right down the line - I do the laundry, he does the washing up.
    I suspect if we did have a dishwasher, it would basically end up as another (less accessible) kitchen stuff storage cupboard...unlike the easily accessed draining board.

15. farmerbarleymow

It takes no time at all to load and unload. If you load the machine properly everything comes out sparkly clean - at least with the dishwasher that I've got.

Manter, izz, danski and 2 others like this.
  16. wayward bob

when you're clearing up after several it makes a massive difference in my recent experience. i've never had one but seriously considering it now...

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  17. farmerbarleymow

You won't regret it - they're a godsend.

The machine I've got is a half-size one, and on average I run a couple of loads a week (I live by myself though). I guess if you've got several people in a house then a full-sized one would be better if you've got room.

izz and danski like this.
  18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Don't be daft, Frank.

19. farmerbarleymow

I think he's been deliberately difficult today. :hmm:

UrbaneFox and Spymaster like this.
  20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

He's being silly. He's bored, I think.

21. wayward bob

no chance, would have to be half sized they look bigger than i imagined tbf.

22. izz

can't you knock down a wall or something ?
    :D

23. Biddlybee

nope, ish.

24. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

This is going to make me sound mad, but go and look at one and take one of your dinner plate and a saucepan you usually use. The half sized ones have different set ups internally and some you can't get big plates in, or the saucepans go in at a weird angle and mean you can't get anything else in. The same size experiment doesn't have the same size interior.

This is lesson I learned in practice ;)

izz and wayward bob like this.
  25. farmerbarleymow

The one I've got is 445mm wide if that helps.

26. wayward bob

certainly nothing doing now. need to purge the cupboards before i can see if i could steal any space. which will take a while :oops:

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Maybe if i got a dishwasher i'd cook more. does it work like that?

28. wayward bob

yeah, your floorspace is tighter than ours. sucks :mad:

29. izz

This is not remotely mad, this is entirely and absolutely sensible. I'd advise doing it for normal-sized machines also. We have some plates a bit too wide to stand up straight.

Manter likes this.
  30. izz

Yes, if that works as justification for you, but seriously, they are just the poodle's plums and I hope I never have to live without one.

Manter, farmerbarleymow and bimble like this.