Walton Lodge Laundry, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton to be converted into flats and restaurant

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 3, 2014.

1. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

Sorry
    sorry battery dying (also bit bored now) so will have to leave it here I’m afraid.

Good luck!!

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Likewise.

I've better things to do.

3. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

I’m sure there’s someone out there who will be thrilled to fill one of these vacancies

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm sure they'd be happy to get a job, but I doubt if many people are genuinely "thrilled" to get a job in the worst paid sector in the UK where zero hours contracts are prevalent.

equationgirl and Gramsci like this.
  5. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Isn't one of the much cited problems the lack of enthusiasm amongst UK born folk when it comes to doing any minimum wage job? Isn't this precisely why immigrant labour fills most low paid service industry Jobs?

Growing up I picked fruit an worked on farms for pennies an hour, as did most of our village. Recently the only people who pick fruit are immigrants. I gather farms can't get immigrant labour anymore. Will natives step up as we did?

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Instead of blaming 'lazy' people, blame capitalism which creates these shit jobs and the bosses for paying so little.

Gramsci likes this.
  7. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Don't be silly. There are always going to be lots of different sorts of jobs with different levels of responsibility and remuneration.

From conversations I have with folks in the traditional industries such as farming, there aren't folks prepared to start at the bottom as they seem to believe that work is beneath their entitlement

8. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

'Start at the bottom'? There's a career path that starts at picking fruit and ends where - running the farm? :hmm:

9. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

Absolutely, I wished I had lived before capitalism. When everyone had great, well paid jobs.

equationgirl, djdando and SpamMisery like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wished you'd lived then too.

blameless77, Gramsci and FridgeMagnet like this.
  11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

In every industry for the whole of my life and every generation I’ve looked at in history, people paying poverty wages have said the precise same thing.

equationgirl, Gramsci and editor like this.
  12. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I am extremely disappointed to be served up with such a link on this thread. Can't you give us an update on Mr Knight?
    He was in the Sunday Times Rich List 2009 with a net worth of £50 milllion (having started as a Lambeth Council gas fitter)

In 2012 the Evening Standard said this: "Jerry Knight of Lexadon has had to graft harder. The former plumber spent decades converting homes in Clapham and Brixton. He stands at the foot of the table — but that’s not such a bad place. Even he is worth £50 million."

The context of the Evening Standard article seems to be speculating on an Estates Gazette Rich List for 2012 which had not yet been unveiled. Presumably the Standard therefore did the best they could and fell back on old 2009 Sunday Times data.

Does anyone have a figure for the current value of Lexadon? I reckon it has fallen under the radar because of ludicrous overvasluations of Google (sorry Alphabet) etc. Nobody worries about London based millionaires anymore. Its all US and Chinese billionaires.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. Gramsci

This kind of attitude is what drove sections of the working class to vote Brexit.

I opposed Brexit.

But I can understand why ordinary working people in this country got totally pissed off with the attitude of people like you and voted Brexit.

16. Gramsci

No editor is right. You should go off and read Marx. Capital volume one. It is like what FridgeMagnet says this is nothing new.

equationgirl and editor like this.
  17. Gramsci

I know the politics forums are not for the faint hearted.

But Brixton Forum right wing posting beggars belief.

Posts above are just right wing. What can I say? Its basic stuff.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  18. Gramsci

This came up on the Archers this morning. Hilariously the gentlemrn farmers of Ambridge have just had to deal with revolt from the East European pickers who threatened to go home mid harvest if they didn't get paid more. Brian said get there names to make sure don't employ them next year.

I do like the Archers. Shows how class system works in this country.

19. Gramsci

Spot on

And saying people are "lazy" is lazy stereotype in itself.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I see quite few young professionals have now moved in.

22. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

*People under 35 with jobs.

God forbid.

ChrisSouth, SpamMisery and alcopop like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't blame them at all, but it's another part of the gentrification that is fuelling the growing rich/poor divide in Brixton.

Upmarket, unaffordable developments like this with zero social housing provided and zero social rents offered are a fucking blight on the town.

[​IMG]

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think Lexadon could use a better copywriter:

25. Gramsci

I know plenty of people under 35 with jobs. They can't afford flats in Nu Brixton.

So what point are you making?

equationgirl and editor like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He hasn't got a coherent point. It's just a cheap smear.

Gramsci likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Say hello to our new double-gated community.

2018-12-22_154637.jpg