1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walton Lodge Laundry, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton has closed for good

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 3, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oooh. A nice £2m earner for Jerry & Co. Suuuh-weeet!

His company are trading in some of London's poorest wards, so I wonder if anyone has amy knowledge of community or charity schemes that Jerry or Lexadon have contributed to? Seeing as his company (and his personal fortune) are so big, it does seem a fair question to ask.

I did ask him directly about this some time ago (Jerry is - strangely - awfully keen on mailing me quite regularly) but he declined to answer. Perhaps he donates zillions but is too modest to announce the fact. Which would be a nice thing to do.

Perhaps he could post up here and tell us (he's an avid reader of these boards too). I'm sure he's really quite a generous man, but a search on Google only brings up this: Millionnaire developer prosecuted for illegal conversion of house in Trent Road

*awaits next email from Jerry

Gramsci likes this.
  2. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

something something Jerry-built houses. :)

4. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I have heard from a reliable source that he prefers to be called Jed
    ..........Jedi Knight :thumbs:

ViolentPanda likes this.
  5. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

<ed: removed>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Have you a credible source for that, else I'll have to remove it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

There was a bit of a problem there this morning. Bloody great excavator knocked a girder and some power cabling coming through the artificially widened and lowered gap on the way out.

Obviously we are used to such behaviour when it comes to Herne Hill railway bridges - but I fancy the Walton Lodge facade might not be as resilient as a railway bridge.

PS I recall back in 1980 neighbouring residents go a 10% cut in their rates bill to compensate for "disturbance" during the building of Olive Morris House. I bet that Lambeth are not giving Brixton Square residents a 10% council tax cut!

PPS Anyone note this? Barratts were apparently awarding contracts illegally - right at the period when Brixton Square was built

Barratt executive arrested after internal misconduct inquiry - BBC News

editor and snowy_again like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's what that 'sympathetic' conversion looks like:

2017-03-22_120839.jpg

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a big old site:

2017-03-23_001502.jpg

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Funnily enough I heard the Network Rail were highly uncooperative about using their empty arch at the back for site access - thereby causing most of the mess at the front where heavy equipment had to be got onto site by digging out the frontage.

Still I don't suppose one could expect Network Rail to be any more accommodating to Lexadon than anyone else?

11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Took a few snaps of crane operations on site yesterday.
    Because they are preserving the facade many building materials are being hoisted over the frontage to be assembled behind. Usually it's huge bags of ready mix concrete but yesterday it was bright yellow girders.
    Walton Laundry crane 4.jpg Walton Laundry crane 1.jpg Walton Laundry crane 2.jpg Walton Laundry crane 3.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fuck them.
    It's not like Lexadon are some wonderful, much loved, community focused property developer. There's precisely zero social or (splutter) 'affordable' housing in that site so the more it costs Lexadon, the happier I am.

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My opinion on your opinion (if anyone cares) is that if this was the 1980s the Laundry would have made a fantastic Cooltan 3.

However as its the 2017s you might be better off with Lexadon than someone like Taylor Wimpey who would probably have demolished the site - and still not provided affordable or social housing.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think even Lambeth would have OKd the destruction of such a distinctive frontage, but they're all the same self-interested, affordable housing-avoiding luxury providers to me.

Gramsci likes this.